Don't listen to Taxi cooridinators :)

Duanerice1

I was a Payne's bay last week.

We were going to go up to Lobster Alive (next to the Boatyard). When we got to the Taxi we told the lady directing people to taxi's we wanted to go to Lobster Alive and were going to swim with the turtles. She asked us why go way over there as Payne's Bay is where the turtles are. Thinking she knows what she is talking about we agreed.

After sitting in the Taxi for 20 minutes while they tried to fill it up, we were finally on our way. We'll it is twice as far as Lobster Alive but in the other direction. We wasted a good 45 minutes going this way. When we get there the driver "hooks us up" with a boat tour. They quoted $50 per person for 90 min. I complained a bit and got it down to $30 pp but they wouldn't budge from that.

The tour was great as the crew wasn't the "money people" from the shore. Saw 4 turtles and a ton of fish in crystal clear water.

The beach was pretty as was the water. But I understand that the other places also have just as nice water.

I'm just a little irked as we had to pay $40 for the Taxi and $60 for the tour when I could have had the same for a lot less if I would have went where I planned. Nothing wrong with the Payne's Bay area but felt that we were taken advantage of.

enjoy

As I understand it from reading some of the threads here;

there are no turtles at the Boatyard or Lobster Alive....

so as your point was to see turtles the lady might have been right...

As far as I understand it...you CAN see turtles if you go to boatyard/lobster alive. There are boat operators who take you out to see the turtles and persons have reported seeing a decent amount of turtles.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar experience in Barbados where we waited for the taxi to fill up. The driver then went the opposite direction and by the time we'd have gotten to the beach I requested, I was afraid that we would not have time to enjoy it and that we would then be late back to the ship! So we just got off with some others that were in the taxi with us, enjoyed our day and rode the Yellow Bus back to ship. That yellow bus became our favorite experience of the cruise! And it was only $2 each! I'd stay away from the taxis and go straight to the buses on Barbados!