What to expect from NCl

neverthought

We are leaving from NYC and was wondering how well hubby will be taken care of? Access desk is aware of our needs and we have a scooter reserved which will be waiting in the stateroom,will hubby be brought to room to get scooter,or will he just be brought onboard?:confused: Neverthought

We are leaving from NYC and was wondering how well hubby will be taken care of? Access desk is aware of our needs and we have a scooter reserved which will be waiting in the stateroom,will hubby be brought to room to get scooter,or will he just be brought onboard?:confused: Neverthought

Generally the cabins are not available until 1:00 P.M -2:00 P.M. Therefore if you board before the passengers are allowed to enter their cabins NCL staff will only wheel him to the buffet or other area you choose to wait. Also NCI staff will not leave the wheelchair as it's needed to assist other passengers boarding. You than will need to go get the scooter after you're allowed to enter the cabins.

Also note that your rental contract specifically states that the mobility scooter will be delivered to the cabin by 2:00PM so even if NCL will allow you to go to the cabin immediately after you board the scooter may not have been delivered yet.

boarded in nyc and was taken to our cabin where the scooter waited....if the scooter had not arrived I would have been taken to the dining room or the buffet.

Thank you Searoses, that was my main concern, having to go to dining room or :eek: the buffet. Just spoke with Access Desk again and she assured me we would be taken right to our room so he can get and use the scooter. Saying and doing are two different things, so we'll see how this plays out and hope for the best. DH can't walk 5' w/o a great deal of discomfort and the possibility of his legs giving out. I think I'll call SAS just to confirm reservation and delivery.

Neverthought

Thank you Searoses, that was my main concern, having to go to dining room or :eek: the buffet. Just spoke with Access Desk again and she assured me we would be taken right to our room so he can get and use the scooter. Saying and doing are two different things, so we'll see how this plays out and hope for the best. DH can't walk 5' w/o a great deal of discomfort and the possibility of his legs giving out. I think I'll call SAS just to confirm reservation and delivery.

Neverthought

It's important to note that NCL controls the order of how things get delivered on-aboard the ship. Therefore though SAS will tell you it will be waiting SAS cannot guarantee you other than what's stated in the rental agreement that it will be delivered to the cabin by 2:00P.M.

There have been times that it was in my cabin by noon and other times it was deliver after 2:00 P.M. because the cruise line held it up as their own deliveries took priory first over third party deliveries but it did get on board.

Make certain you bring a copy of the SAS confirmation with you as it contains an emergency number to call on embarkation day.

I agree with all the quotes.

I have been on three cruises. Two with RCL and one with Princess. All three times scooter was in my cabin. Last cruise with RCL there was a computer glitch and everything was delayed. I was dumped at the pizza parlor and had to walk to my room once they opened. I have CP and of course it was on the other end of the world's largest ship.

I think you will find that the ship's staff and crew are more sensitive to the handicap than the rule books. The contracts are written to protect everyone involved. I'm positive that a crew member would be willing to take you directly to your cabin. On the possibility that your scooter may not yet arrived, whoever took you to your cabin would probably give you the option to wait for the scooter in your cabin or go someplace else. They probably could not leave the wheelchair because someone else is waiting for assistance.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Ask for the name of the access officer onboard the ship. If there are any problems they will be your POC. I can tell you from experience my daughter and I always board dockside through the crew gangway. I've often walked past the scooters in the inner portion of the ship waiting to be delivered to the room. The scooter companies only provide them to the ship not to the actual rooms, that is NCL's internal delivery.

The year before I did not rent a scooter....was taken to the dining room after leaving the bags in the cabin and the chair was left there for my husband to wheel me to our cabin...not to say that could happen each time.....just want to mention that anyone who wheels me gets a tip whether they are ship employees or not....always accepted with a smike...