Aruba, Grand Turk & Bonnaire

blondie99

Hello!

We are sailing the Carnival Liberty to these islands on 1/16 and am looking for excursion / tour suggestions. I have cruised three times before and know very well most islands aren't very accessible, especially for power chairs.

While I'd like to use my power wheelchair as much as possible, I'm also bringing my manual wheelchair and my caregiver can easily transfer me to a car, van or bus.

We definitely want some beach time, but I also aim to find at least one adventurous thing to do. In the past I've done swimming with dolphins and sea lions, a monkey farm, Mayan Ruins and kinda speed boats.

I've almost never booked these through the cruiseline.

What can you tell me and suggest? Any wheelchair accessible vans or trolleys anywhere? Beaches I could roll to nearby? What's the best beach? Also would there be a Visitors Center or something nearby I could park my power chair at while we go out with my manual chair?

Thanks !

I can only speak about Grand Turk. Access from the ship is very easy. The pier leads into a large paved area with many shops as well as a Margaritaville restaurant. There is an acceptable beach right where the ship docks. If you can transfer and use a collapsible chair I can see no reason why you would not be able to take any of the sightseeing tours. I know of no accessible vehicles that could carry a power chair on the island.

I normally just hang out around the large pool at Margaritaville and enjoy the scenery and drunken antics. Enjoy your trip

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Bonair a couple years ago and used a transport company called RoroBonair. The guy was a little different, didn't know a lot about the area as he had recently moved to the area with his disabled brother. But his van was very nice. He was a good driver. Took us all around the island, stopped when we wanted for pictures. Took us to the salt flats, the slave huts and back to ship. We actually enjoyed it because we didn't have to listen to a lengthy history lesson from the driver. On that same trip we were in Aruba. We used a guy named Sonny Binns with Sonny tours and transfers. My husband uses a mobility scooter that we can break down and lift into the back of a van. Sonny did not have a handicap van with lift, but he might could assist you in finding one if you can look him up on the Internet. Hope this helps.