Royal Caribbean Asia Cruise Help me decide please! :)

Hi,

I have been on a royal caribbean cruise in the caribbean and my boyfriend has also been in the med. We want to try something different this year and so are looking at Asia. We have narrowed it down to two of similar price and cannot decide between the two. Flight prices are basically the same and we do not want to spend a long time researching so I was wondering if anyone had any insights or tips considering we have never been to asia before. We appreciate all help! The two cruises are:

1 Hong Kong, China

22:00 EMBARK 2 Cruising

CRUISING 3 Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan 08:00 17:00 DOCKED 4 Cruising

CRUISING 5 MANILA, PHILIPPINES 09:00 18:00 DOCKED 6 BORACAY, PHILIPPINES 07:00 16:00 TENDERED 7 Puerto Princesa , Philippines 07:00 16:00 DOCKED 8 KOTA KINABALU, MALAYSIA 10:00 18:00 DOCKED 9 Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei 08:00 17:00 DOCKED 10 Cruising

CRUISING 11 Singapore 08:00

DEBARK

and the second one is :

Day Port Arrive Depart Activity 1 Singapore

16:30 EMBARK 2 Cruising

CRUISING 3 Ko Samui , Thailand 07:00 17:00 TENDERED 4 Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand 08:00

DOCKED 5 Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand

17:00 DOCKED 6 Sihanoukville, Cambodia 08:00 17:00 TENDERED 7 Cruising

CRUISING 8 Nha Trang, Vietnam 07:00 16:00 TENDERED 9 Ho Chi Minh (Phu My), Vietnam 07:00 19:00 DOCKED 10 Cruising

CRUISING 11 Singapore 08:00

DEBARK

its the same ship for both: the legend of the seas and both are leaving in August.

Thanks everyone!

I would be attracted to the one embarking in Hong Kong because HK is very easily visited independently prior to the cruise. Simple to use their Subway system and plenty of English mixed with the Chinese culture. We were there for two days as part of a land vacation and dream of returning for a week or longer. It truly exceeds the term "world class city".

Wow, what an enviable and difficult choice. Hard to recommend without knowing more about what you and your BF like, but I’ll share my thoughts...

If a B2B wasn’t an option, ;) I would go with option 1 because it takes you to four iconic cities: Hong Kong, Taipei, Manila, and Singapore, each offering you a wide variety of things to do on your own (or through Royal if you prefer). You also get some premier tropical paradise experiences, such as Borocay, Puerto Princessa, and Kota Kinabalu, and maybe you’ll run into the Sultan of Brunei!

My first thought on the second itinerary is that I would like more time to explore each place. I would feel rushed trying to cram Bangkok and Pattaya into two days, and Cambodia and Vietnam deserve to be explored more fully than the brief cruise stop would permit. I would have fun, but at the same time be frustrated at being so close and yet so far from sights like Ankor Wat. This is a bit more of an exotic and adventurous itinerary so don’t expect things to come at you in English. Not a big deal if you’re used to being out there or stick with the cruise line’s excursions, but a consideration.

Both itineraries offer “different” and neither will disappoint, and if you give some more ideas about what you two like to do, I can provide some more focused thoughts, as I’ve visited most of the countries you’re looking at and lived in Asia for quite some time. Hope some of this helped and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Some additional thoughts below.

Option 1

Hong Kong, China 22:00 EMBARK Amazing city with everything to do, from amazing food, to awesome shopping, to mesmerizing sights, to fun museums. Very easy to navigate on your own.

Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan 08:00 17:00 DOCKED I haven’t been, but have heard only positive things about this key city in the global economy.

MANILA, PHILIPPINES 09:00 18:00 DOCKED A sprawling and bustling metropolis. I have enjoyed Intramuros and shopping and sightseeing around Makati. Can be a bit chaotic, but manageable on your own.

BORACAY, PHILIPPINES 07:00 16:00 TENDERED

Puerto Princesa , Philippines 07:00 16:00 DOCKED

KOTA KINABALU, MALAYSIA 10:00 18:00 DOCKED

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei 08:00 17:00 DOCKED

Singapore 08:00 DEBARK Another of my favorite cities on Earth. Strikingly clean, organized, and easy to get around. I have enjoyed everything from strolling Orchard Road, to having a drink atop the Marina Bay Sands, to enjoying live music and food hawkers at St James Power Station. Also very easy to manage on your own.

Option 2:

Singapore 16:30 EMBARK

Ko Samui , Thailand 07:00 17:00 TENDERED

Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand 08:00 DOCKED This stops sits between Bangkok and Pattaya, two of the most famour (or notorious) tourist stops. One of my favorite memories is a water taxi tour of Bangkok’s floating marketplace. Both Bangkok and Pattaya offer nightlife that defies description (at least without being banned from CC). :eek:

Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand 17:00 DOCKED

Sihanoukville, Cambodia 08:00 17:00 TENDERED

Nha Trang, Vietnam 07:00 16:00 TENDERED

Ho Chi Minh (Phu My), Vietnam 07:00 19:00 DOCKED

Singapore 08:00 DEBARK

Also weather wise could anyone help pick?

Weather isn't much of a factor in choosing between the two itineraries since they are in the same general area, but weather is a consideration in the region.

Think tropical -- lots of sun and rain. It'll be hot, humid and sunny, with "occasional" showers and thunderstorms throughout the region, but the thing to know is that August is in the midst of typhoon (hurricane) season; which could impact either itinerary.

I wouldn't let that deter me from booking either, but I would want to know that it was a factor to consider when deciding on travel insurance, flight timelines, etc.

Regardless of which cruise is selected OP may want to consider the following when selecting the month to go

Typhoon season begins in May and ends in November.

Spring (March to May)

Temperature and humidity are rising. Evenings can be cool.

Summer (June to August)

Hot, humid and sunny, with occasional showers and thunderstorms. The temperature can exceed 31°C but high humidity levels can make it feel even hotter.

Autumn (September to November)

There are pleasant breezes, plenty of sunshine and comfortable temperatures. Many people regard these as the best months of the year to particularly visit Hong Kong.

Winter (December to February)

Cool, dry and cloudy, with occasional cold fronts. The temperature can drop below 10°C in urban areas.

Edited by xxoocruiser