Concierge 11004, 12028 or keep current AFT cabin 8684?

Chimo2u

I could use some help with a cabin decison, if you've ever sailed the Fantasy before and can give insight into what room might be my best choice? Please help me decide! I woke up this AM , after thinking all New Years Day, with a goal of changing to concierge level for this cruise (as this is my hubby's and my 25 anniversary gift; I'd like it to be very special.)

When I called DCL, the only rooms they could offer me to choose from are 12028 on the 12 deck (read some less than favourable reviews about this spot/ cleaner's cart in the way of your balcony and noisier area?) .

11004 is the other choice on deck 11. Currently I have a cat 5E AFT room booked on deck 8 (8684) the views from here look amazing, but again some negative reviews of AFT rooms have me worried (diesel/ fuel smell and black soot falling on the balcony for example)

I understand people are quicker to complain than rave on the internet, so I am keeping an open mind to these reviews. I'd love some feedback or things to consider in whether I should just keep my current booking or upgrade the $2,000 extra for concierge? Another downside is Concierge bookings, all deposits are non-refundable, so if something happened and I couldn't take my cruise, I am out $1,000!! Now I'm back to feeling confused! I just want a nice cabin and a great first cruise experience. So many choices does not make this an easy decision!

We personally LOVE aft cabins and have cruised in far aft ones several times.

Fumes--yes, while refueling. Basically, that means disembarkation day unless you are on a long cruise. And you can smell it from any outdoor area although it is stronger aft. Black soot--NEVER experienced this on a DCL cruise. Thruster vibrations--yes, while docking. It lasts a few minutes and is definitely stronger in the aft part of the ship. A few minutes at each port out of a 7 night cruise is not an issue to me. And I do mean 2-3 minutes of intermittent vibration.

As to noisy areas--this largely depends on your neighbors. I've read the stuff about "noisy" cabins and not found any of the negative reports to agree with my experience. However, I've found noisy neighbors to sometimes be an issue. Cleaning cart blocking balcony? Never experienced this, and if the stateroom host was made aware of it he/she would move the cart immediately!

While concierge deposits are not refundable from DCL, they used to allow you to change the date ONCE. Not sure if this is still the policy. Also, travel insurance will cover your loss if it is for a covered reason. We always purchase travel insurance privately (not thru DCL) because our medical insurance does not cover outside of the US. You can get better coverage for less money by purchasing privately rather than thru DCL.

OK, what I'd probably do if I were you....since you are undecided, stick with what you currently have booked. If you later decide that you want concierge, you can call and see if it is still available. Most of the time these cabins sell out, but we have seen them available for upgrade at the port! As with any other cabin, there are sometimes emergency cancelations even at the last minute.

You currently have a very nice cabin booked with sufficient space for 2 people. You have a lovely balcony where you can "hang out" privately. Bring along some wine or whatever beverage you enjoy and enjoy your own little paradise. That $2000 will be enough to book another cruise at some seasons! If/when yu can define exactly what you are looking for in concierge that you can't get in your current booking, then go for it. As long as you are undecided, save the money.

Concierge is nice (we LOVE PJ, the concierge manager)....but it is never a "good value." It's all about feeling special. Frankly, it isn't enough special for us to spend the money normally. ALL of DCL is special, concierge just a little more so.

Edited by moki'smommy

I have yet to stay in concierge, but hope to for our 40th anniversary in October.

We have stayed in two aft staterooms, the tiny 7a on deck 5 and a roomy aft veranda room on deck 6. We loved the views and had only a tiny amount of vibrations when the ship was using its side thrusters leaving ports. No problem with soot to speak of, the stateroom attendant cleaned our veranda every day. No fumes, either. We have another deck 6 aft stateroom booked for our cruise next month. They are large enough you can have a lounger placed on it along with the standard table and two chairs.Other good points are aft rooms are just a quick flight of stairs up to Cabanas, and a few flights down to the entertainment district on deck 4. We spend a lot of time there in the evenings, quite handy!

The only drawback, IMHO, it is a long walk to the adult areas on the front of the ship, cove cafe, adult pool, spa, etc. A concierge cabin would put you right there!

like you, we want to do something special for our anniversary, I'm waiting until we are onboard the Fantasy next month to book our room for October. We could book a regular veranda stateroom and hope there is a concierge available for upgrade when we get to the port in October, but that is a gamble there will be one available.

I can see how you might be concerned on the noise and the rolling cleaning cart blocking the view, after finding a photo of the location of 12028. it is the last cabin next to open decks and the cart is blocking your view aft a bit. If it were me, and I wanted a concierge cabin, I would pick 11004.

Photo of veranda 12028.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/albums/2010_11_disneydream02/IMGP8151.JPG

Edited by justhappy

I just realized the photo I posted is of the starboard side, but the port side you would be on in 12028 has the rolling cleaning cart also. The dark door behind it is a public bathroom, there is one on each side of the ship in the same location.

Thank you both for your replies! I think I'll keep the Aft room for now and see what's available closer to/ or even perhaps at port.

Cruising seems to be special and all inclusive irregardless so I think for now I'll save the money and stay put. Just Happy, thank you for the pic of 12028. Your points where what I was worried about, and I agree is probably go with the deck 11 concierge room if I do upgrade.

Thanks again for your help!

:)

To me, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other for your Cat V room choices. We prefer Deck 12 for its proximity to the lounge, but you're on the other side of a public restroom, I believe. We dislike Deck 11 for the enclosed balcony and having to walk the stairs to get to the lounge.

When is 120 days before your cruise? That is when concierge folks tend to make their final payment. Check availability of staterooms then. Some of your Cat V peeps may upgrade to a Cat T, opening up more Cat Vs. Some folks may move their cruise date. As someone mentioned, concierge deposits are nonrefundable. However, there is absolutely no limit (as I can attest with extensive personal experience) as to how many times you can move your concierge deposit. You can also downgrade your reservation. Once you deposit concierge, that portion of your fare becomes nonrefundable.