Opinions on AlItalia Flights Needed

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on AlItalia flights. Service, Seating, Food, Safety, Equipment, etc. My husband and I are in the midst of trying to book our custom air for Med Cruise in May of 2006 and we are having some difficulty finding a flight that suits all of our needs. The only one that is coming close is an AlItalia flight out of EWR to Rome and then off to Venice. I don't know anything about this airline and was hoping some of you might be able to share your wealth of knowledge. Thanks!:)

are you talking about coach or business class?

We flew them last September from Rome (FCO) to Newark (EWR) business class. The boarding process was a free for all and they didn't offer us drinks until after we were airborne but - once in the sky we were treated royally. No experience in Coach on Alitalia.

I have noticed several travel alerts in the travel section of our newspaper about strikes on this airline. There have been a couple already this year and there was a notice just a couple of weeks ago.

If flying them, I would allow yourself a extra day or so before sailing to arrive just in case.

We'll be on Alitalia Rome to New York after our cruise - so have some concern about strikes - but not as much as we would have if we were flying them before the cruise.

Here is a link to a fun website (airlinequality.com) that gives opinions about all airlines. This should link you to the posts for Alitalia: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/alit.htm

You can check out seat maps for other airlines at seatguru.com - but they don't have them Alitalia.

Julie

According to those on the flyer talk site, the food is very good. Like the previous poster stated, boarding is a bit disorganized. I also heard that after the meal, flight attendants become scarce. Nevertheless, we'll be flying them biz class for our Med trip next June.

Caryba,

We too are looking to fly to Venice next May. Our biggest problem is the long layovers. We're thinking about USAir. They have a direct flight out of Philadelphia, but are currently one of the most expensive. Ugh. I also have been warned about AlItalia's frequent strikes.

Paula

We took Alitalia from JFK to Milan and on to Venice in coach pre-cruise. We used our Delta miles and thought we would be on a 767. The equipment was switched to a 777 which I do not like but the flight was fine. The food was good, free wine and good movies. The change of plane in Milan was fine and the trip to Venice was only 40 minutes. Boarding was fine fine in JFK. Cannot comment on return as it was on Delta from Barcelona.Janice

We just flew Alitalia Boston - Milan - Rome and then Venice-Milan-Boston coach class. I found them to be just like any other American-based airline. Full planes, food is a little better than what we have been getting in the US - nothing to write home about - service is limited due to cutbacks particularly assistance on the ground.

Flew Alitalia FCO-BOS at the beginning of August. Had no choice is this was the only flight available on NWA FF miles.

Coach: Food was passable. Main course was fish which as you can imagine filled the air with its lovely fragrance; reminded me of cat food. The pasta course was a surprise and decent: white lasagna.

They only came around for drinks once and never picked up the garbage other than the trays. Lack of personnel wasn't a problem... they were having as party back there.

On the outbound flight we had flown NW and it was the best international flight I"d had in years in all regards.

Did not enjoy my experiences with Alitalia...recently flew them from Boston to Rome. Coach class. the way down was fine except the lady in boston was extremely short with me. I asked for exit row--she said no...we were several hours early and there was no exit row ? Come on...Then, I asked to borrow a pen and when I went to give it back I didn't realze there was a hole by her monitor--it fell on the floor and she YELLED at me " saying why did I throw the pen on the floor?" I was appalled. I told her I didn't mean to--I thought that she had a desk back there....UUGHGH--I was disgusted by her attitude. The food was OK, flavorless. The call buttons were ringing non-stop and I don't think the cared.

on the way back, we got delayed for several hours, they did give us free lunch. The headphones didn't work and they couldn't figure them out--so no movie or music to listen to. They didn't pass out water...they were pretty scarce after serving the food. I don't think I will ever fly them again....:(

I just flew Alitalia form EWR to Boston and on to Rome...had no choie.. I used ff miles. I flew business. Going the plane was old and as far as service goes..in buisness it was not good. OOn the Return trip we had a newer paln...MUCH better service and great food.. I don't know why, but for free...it was fine!

If there are other options I would avoid Alitalia, as they are notorious for striking and you never know when one of their 1 day work stoppages will happen. Perhaps you could fly through London on British, Paris on Air France, or Frankfurt on Lufthansa. They all have connecting flights to Venice.

One other Alitalia consideration. Don't sit near one of the galleys. Although the flight is non-smoking, the flight attendants close the curtains to the galleys and smoke like chimneys all the way through the flight (and all over your food). Every time they move the curtain the smoke blows out into the surrounding area.

Archived