Juneau's Pilot's Choice Glacier Explorer

Cruiser052

We will be in Juneau May 31 on RCCL Jewel and are thinking about taking the Pilot's Choice Helicopter tour. It is pricy, but want to know if anyone has done this through the cruise line b4 and is it worth it? Looks like a wonderful way to see Glaciers. Thanks for any help.

We will be in Juneau May 31 on RCCL Jewel and are thinking about taking the Pilot's Choice Helicopter tour. It is pricy, but want to know if anyone has done this through the cruise line b4 and is it worth it? Looks like a wonderful way to see Glaciers. Thanks for any help.

I took the Pilot's Choice tour in 2013 while I was cruising Alaska on a Princess ship. I assume that this would be a similar trip on RCCL. This tour lands on top of two different glaciers. Our first landing was on the Gilkie Glacier and our second landing was on top of the Juneau Icefield (all snow covered) where the glaciers all start forming. You spend about fifteen to twenty minutes at each glacier stop.

Temsco was the company that ran the tour for our trip. We only had five passengers on our helicopter plus the pilot. The excursion was expensive but well worth it in my opinion. This is a trip that I would repeat if in Alaska again. I also booked a float plane in Ketchikan.

We took the earliest flight we could book so that we could also tour the Mendenhall Glacier on our own. Another site worth visiting if of interest to you.

We had perfect weather for our trip. I was traveling with someone who didn't think they would like going in a helicopter and this turned out to be one of their favorite excursions. You are assigned seats based on your weights. On our flight we were seated in the front next to the pilot. I am not sure what it was like to sit in the rear seats. I have taken two helicopter rides in my life: One over the Grand Canyon and one over the Juneau Icefields in Alaska. On both fights I was seated in the front next to the pilot.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by world_traveler_et

• 7 years later...