Bungee cords for Balcony?

NYcoolcruiser

Hi everyone, I'll be a first time cruiser with Carnival this September to the Caribbean and I've booked a balcony cabin. I have read a few posts which recommends using bungee cords to get the balcony door stay open. Will anyone please tell me where I can get a bungee cord? I'm sure hardware stores have them, but I don't live near home depot or similar stores. I have to apologize for my ignorance, but I'm a really girly girl and doesn't know a thing about hardware. Would any other stores have them? I rather not order them online because there is only a week left until my cruise and there won't be enough time for them to ship it to me!!! Also, can we use any other things that will work the same way as bungee cords? And how exactly would they work to get the balcony door to stay open? (as you are aware, being a first time cruiser, I really know nothing)

Additionally, do you bring beach bags when you go on your shore excursions? Or do you just bring a waterproof case that can hang around your neck. I'll be going on a catarmaran excursion which will include snorkeling and swimming, and also a beach resort excursion which I will definitely plan to swim. Is there some sort of lockers or shops that will look after our bags ashore? It will only be me and my DH going and we definitely would like to swim at the same time (rather than have one look after the stuff while the other swim).

Thanks everyone for your help.

We found bungee cords at Sears. We asked the sales person where to find them, but they said they didn't sell them. But they did, and they were in the camping section. Make sure you don't get a small one, medium or large should suffice. We had a pack of six with two or each size. Maybe $5 for the pack and we will use them!!

The other question you asked depends on where you go. We went on a boat and not only took a beach bag, but a snorkel bag. It stayed on the boat when we were in the water - no issues. If you are paranoid about that, stores sell rip away locks that are plastic. Once they are on, they can't be tampered with unless cut or pulled off. They were very inexpensive. A regular lock would work as well.

Hope this helps!

The balcony doors are pretty heavy and stay open. Keeping the door open too long isn't a great idea, I have found the cabin gets too warm and the cooling system doesn't cool the room off very fast. But it all depends on you and if you like a humid room. Either way have a great time.

Just back from Royal Caribbean on their Navigator of the Seas cruise.

Our slider stayed open when we opened it. The Air shuts off, but that didn't bother us. I also brought clothespins and often attached our wet swimsuits etc to chairs overnite to dry out on balcony. Also took wrinkles out of some clothes due to the humidity. Depends where you are traveling.

Enjoy your cruise...

Westie 1

I have never heard anyone say the doors will stay open....I know mine wouldn't. They ARE very heavy and they close fast and hard!!! You need the bungee cord if you want it to stay open.

Well, I've sailed on Princess and Celebrity and everytime the balcony sliding doors have stayed opened; while in port and at sea.

So now you've read where someone says the doors do stay open.:rolleyes:

I think the length of the bungee cord should be totally proportional to the distance from the railing to the water (what deck you are on), given factors such as weight of the person, how close to the water you wish to come and elasticity of the cord.:D Seriously, we have only had sliding doors so not an issue. We would leave them slightly open at night, it can be cool during March at sea in the Caribbean.

imho we ought to use bungee cords to tightly bind any inconsiderate souls who leave their balcony doors open, thereby disrupting the efficacy of the air conditioning in other cabins, and then unceremoniously throw them overboard.

You want fresh air at nite, go sleep on deck!!

imho we ought to use bungee cords to tightly bind any inconsiderate souls who leave their balcony doors open, thereby disrupting the efficacy of the air conditioning in other cabins, and then unceremoniously throw them overboard.

You want fresh air at nite, go sleep on deck!!

Cabin air conditioner is off, it IS cool at sea at night and has no effect on the "efficacy" (power, potency etc.) of the air conditioners in other cabins. As for who should be thrown overboard, how about those who use words such as efficacy.:D :D My poor brain overheated trying to figure that word out:D . I have to turn the air conditioner down.

Archived