Bungee cords for balcony? Bring beach bags or just waterproof case hanging over neck?

NYcoolcruiser

Hi everyone, I'll be a first time cruiser with Carnival this September to the Caribbean and I've booked a balcony cabin. I have read a few posts which recommends using bungee cords to get the balcony door stay open. Will anyone please tell me where I can get a bungee cord? I'm sure hardware stores have them, but I don't live near home depot or similar stores. I have to apologize for my ignorance, but I'm a really girly girl and doesn't know a thing about hardware. Would any other stores have them? I rather not order them online because there is only a week left until my cruise and there won't be enough time for them to ship it to me!!! Also, can we use any other things that will work the same way as bungee cords? And how exactly would they work to get the balcony door to stay open? (as you are aware, being a first time cruiser, I really know nothing)

Additionally, do you bring beach bags when you go on your shore excursions? Or do you just bring a waterproof case that can hang around your neck. I'll be going on a catarmaran excursion which will include snorkeling and swimming, and also a beach resort excursion which I will definitely plan to swim. Is there some sort of lockers or shops that will look after our bags ashore? It will only be me and my DH going and we definitely would like to swim at the same time (rather than have one look after the stuff while the other swim).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Some balconies have sliding doors and some have hooks that you can use to keep the doors open. You can pick up a small bungee cord at most hardware or general (K-Mart, Wal-Mart) places. I guess you would hook one end of cord to handle of door and other end to balcony rail or post.

Most beaches will not have places like lockers. You can find waterproof packs that you wear, but I've only seen them in catalogs. Often on the ships they will sell waterproof containers that you wear around your neck and will hold your credit, sign and sail cards and some money.

We also have had the same worries. We take a back pack to put our "stuff" in and then leave it on the beach while swimming. We have 2 waterwallets that we got at a dive shop, but they can be purchased on the ship. My husband has taken a ziplock bag into which we put our IDs and $$ and then put it in a pocket in his swim trunks and then pinned the pocket shut. Very secure!

PS. I have had a balcony on a Princess ship and RCI and have not had to use a bungee cord to keep the door open. You might find out more about Carnival balcony doors on their board.

You are in for a fabulous time!

Archived