Has anyone done the "Discover Scuba Diving & Scenic Drive" in USVI?

tbonecopper

Hey guys & gals... have any of you done the Discover Scuba Diving & Scenic Drive in the US Virgin Islands?

We are thinking of booking it as one of our excursions but wanted to hear from anyone with a review or perhaps alternate excursion suggestions that are pretty good. :)

STT-920 is the excursion number.

Description:

Your tour begins as you board your open-air safari bus for a scenic drive to the Coki Beach Dive Club at Coral World Ocean Park. A secure place is provided for bags and valuables. After a lesson on shore to acquaint you with the skills and knowledge required, you'll don your gear and practice your new skills in shallow water with your instructor. Following your practice you will begin your scuba dive.

You'll experience the thrill of breathing underwater and enjoy the opportunity to watch your instructor hand feed colorful reef fish surrounding you as you glide weightlessly through a live coral reef. Scuba equipment and professional instructions are included. For your convenience, snacks, and beverages, are available for purchase at adjacent Coral World. Souvenir T-shirts and other souvenirs are available for purchase at the Coki Beach Dive Club Dive shop. Your tour concludes with a return drive to the pier.

Hi there, yes I have done this tour. Very disappointed. There were 10 of us, and 8 were there to get their diving certificates updated. Felt totally ignored, and when we got into the water, I was having problems drawing air. I snorkel a lot so I know how to breathe, but the instructor just made me switch masks with him. Didn't work. I got out of the water and snorkelled instead. Very, very disappointed, as I was really looking forward to it. Hope you have better luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi there, yes I have done this tour. Very disappointed. There were 10 of us, and 8 were there to get their diving certificates updated. Felt totally ignored, and when we got into the water, I was having problems drawing air. I snorkel a lot so I know how to breathe, but the instructor just made me switch masks with him. Didn't work. I got out of the water and snorkelled instead. Very, very disappointed, as I was really looking forward to it. Hope you have better luck.

I'm a certified diver, and breathing through a regulator is actually rather different from breathing through a snorkel. Assuming that the regulator was free flowing - something that should have been determined during the equipment check - it's probably a matter of skills, not equipment.

Sorry that the instructor didn't give you enough attention, but 10 people is a lot for this sort of quickie thing. That having been said, I've scuba'ed Coki Beach as a shore dive and it was utterly disappointing.

I am a certified diver but my wife is not. We did a Discover Scuba excursion in St. Thomas while sailing on Freedom of the Seas. It was a great experience. There was an instructor for every two divers. We did a 20 minute dive on a wreck in 30' of water. Not a typical beginner dive. We snorkeled around the boat while other groups went to the wreck. We saw lots of fish and a barracuda. Well worth the money.

Navigator Of The Seas - 12/26/2015 - 8 Night Eastern Caribbean New Years Cruise

Explorer of the Seas - 12/27/2014 - 8 Night Eastern Caribbean New Years Cruise

Freedom of the Seas - 12/29/2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean New Years Cruise

Allure of the Seas - 06/30/2013 - 7 Night Western Caribbean 4th of July Cruise

Carnival Fascination - 12/29/2011 - 4 Night Bahamas New Years Cruise