Coolers

modine

To check a cooler:

1. Fill with beverages, pop on top!

2. DO NOT add ice

3. Duct tape or luggage strap it closed

4. Should arrive safely with other luggage

I just can't decide if we will fly down with one of our existing coolers or purchase one at the local WallyWorld when we arrive in Tampa.

For those of you that check coolers...How do you lock them? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!:confused:
What kind of cooler, modine? Ours was a softsided one that zipped. We just secured the two zippers with a luggage lock. If it is a hard one, I would follow the advise of previous posters and use duct tape! Have fun!

When flying into port, do you pack your soft-sided cooler in your luggage or take it on as a carry-on? Thanks in advance for answering.

Happy sailing,

T.

We did not fly, we drove. I would be afraid to take soda cans in my carry on or my checked luggage for a flight for a couple of reasons. First is the weight issue, you are only allowed so much weight for luggage. Second, I think that the some of the cargo bays on planes are pressurized which may cause cans to explode. If I was flying I don't think I would have even messed with it. How are you getting to port from airport, maybe you could stop at a grocery for soda once you arrive near port? Do you drink a whole lot of soda? We got soda cards for the kids. Hubby and I were happy with the complimentary lemonade, tea, and punch. We had put 12 beers and 24 sodas in the cooler to enjoy in our cabin, which we did drink, but could have lived without. Good luck and have a great cruise!!

We did not fly, we drove. I would be afraid to take soda cans in my carry on or my checked luggage for a flight for a couple of reasons. First is the weight issue, you are only allowed so much weight for luggage. Second, I think that the some of the cargo bays on planes are pressurized which may cause cans to explode. If I was flying I don't think I would have even messed with it. How are you getting to port from airport, maybe you could stop at a grocery for soda once you arrive near port? Do you drink a whole lot of soda? We got soda cards for the kids. Hubby and I were happy with the complimentary lemonade, tea, and punch. We had put 12 beers and 24 sodas in the cooler to enjoy in our cabin, which we did drink, but could have lived without. Good luck and have a great cruise!!

I meant, do you pack the cooler itself (not stocked) or use it as a carry-on?

I am flying into port 2 days pre-cruise to spend some fun time in MIA. I was planning on doing some beverage shopping while MIA before going to the port on Sunday. I plan on taking LOTS of bottled water. Last cruise, we took a case & most of it was gone by the end of the cruise.

Thanks for the well wishes! I hope it is a great cruise! :)

Happy sailing,

T.

I am flying into port 2 days pre-cruise to spend some fun time in MIA. I was planning on doing some beverage shopping while MIA before going to the port on Sunday. I plan on taking LOTS of bottled water. Last cruise, we took a case & most of it was gone by the end of the cruise.

Happy sailing,

T.

With that much time before you cruise, I would wait and buy it there in Miami. We took a bus from the Bayside area to a K-mart and bought a cooler. You can buy your water, etc... down there too. Put it all together into a neat little package (sans ice) and leave it with Mr Porterman at the dock with your other checked luggage. :D

I always flatten my soft sided cooler (with wheels) and pack it in the suitcase, then load and prepare it the day before we get on board (we always fly out at least a day early). One year we bought so much stuff we were glad to have it as an extra bag coming home as a carry on (we only usually carry one), it worked out great. The first year we bought one in Miami, you can get them at K-mart, but prepare to pay much more than at home about 3x as much for the cooler.

Happy Sailing!

Happy sailing,

T.

I bought a collapsable cooler on wheels. I plan on using ours as a carry on. I already have it packed with the marvouls list of things I got from these boards (strip outlet, extension cord, bungee cord, travel clock, etc ) I will pack our beverages in the checked luggage after we purchase them in Miami.

We took a side sided cooler to New Orleans with us. We were on the Conquest the end of April. We bought beer, sodas and water packed them in that order. We put a luggage tag on them, it was the first piece of luggage delivered to our room. Trust me, we still had a BIG bar tab...lol

Happy Cruisin:)

Great thread!

I will find a soft sided cooler. I am driving to moblile for my new years cruise. The only thing I need to figure out is how to pack bottled corona. I have access to bubble wrap. I will be trying to perfect packing method over the next 4 months. I want to bring at least 36 bottles on board. This way I will only need to buy 20 or so. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way is it difficult to bring limes on board?

Todd

:rolleyes:

If you take bottles, use the bubble wrap or what about wrapping them around t-shirts you were planning on taking anyway? I also read that someone used some old cheap beach towels that they in turn left behind at port after use. You may also want to get the large ziplock bags just in case all your wrapping fails:)

For the person who takes a case of water. I drink tons of water, but you can refill the empty bottles and not have to tote so much on board.

Todd, here's a rather strange idea, but since you're driving it should work.

Find a store near you that sells barware and see if you can get an empty glassware box. One that has the dividers for each glass. Each Corona then has it's own seat.

If you can get one, or atleast the divider, that will fit into your cooler, you're set.

Archived