Blue Hole v Dunn's River Falls - how long is the drive from Falmouth?

Pshkbb

Hey guys,

Last time we were in Jamaica the boat docked in Ocho Rios and we went on a FANTASTIC tour to Dunn River Falls and then went tubing. My family wants to do that again but we are now docking in Falmouth. I was hoping someone knew how long the drive took from Falmouth to both Dunn River Falls and Blue Hole.

also, I have heard great things about Blue Hole and assume it is similar to Dunn River but less crowded - anyone know?

lastly, there are SO any new tour operators since we last went. Anyone have a good recco? We used Peat Taylor last time and liked them A LOT but since the boat is now farther away I wasn't sure if we would get such a personalized tour. I wanted to make sure whoever we use has smaller vans that are first and foremost AIR CONDITIONED! any thoughts????

thanks!

Hi...if you look along the same forum...there are MANY threads about the Blue Hole, DRF from Falmouth. I responded to many of those.

We docked in Falmouth and hired a private tour operator to go to Blue hole. We have been to DRF and Blue Hole...no comparison...BH is much better. It is less crowded, we get to jump, swing from ropes, climb through a "cave" (well everyone in my group by me).

We typically go with newer tour operators - giving them a chance to get into the business, plus they are less likely to cram (add) people to maximize the tour price. The one we used in Dec was FANTASTIC. His van is fairly new (2012 or 2013) and it has AC.

Let me know if you want the contact info of the tour operator we use. Not sure how many are in yoru party.

Blue Hole is my kids all time favorite excursion they have ever been on. Well worth the 1 1/2 Drive. Completely different than Dunn River, which is a man made water falls, made for a tourist spot. Blue Hole is Natural and is back up in the beautiful "rain forest". It's more than climbing the falls. When we were there (2 yrs ago) we about had the whole place to ourselves. There was one other group of maybe 8 there. Unlike Dunns, they don't bus people in. Buses wouldn't be able to make it on the tiny bumpy road...Go!!! You will love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info - not sure if one of my some times car-sick prone kids could handle 90 mins on small bumpy roads - ACK - what to do! Know that 90 mins each way is a long drive for about an hour or two's worth of swimming.

Thanks for the info - not sure if one of my some times car-sick prone kids could handle 90 mins on small bumpy roads - ACK - what to do! Know that 90 mins each way is a long drive for about an hour or two's worth of swimming.

From Falmouth to Ocho Rios the roads are smooth highways, similar to those in the states here. Once outside of Ochi (as the local calls Ochos Rios) - it's about 20 mins of bumpy rides...and honestly it wasn't that bumpy.

Hope that helps.

How old are the kids? It's a fantastic place. I saw kids around 9-10 and they were having a blast.