Medications & Security Checkpoint

tbonecopper

I put my pills in daily pill holders. I get mine in 90 day quantities and if I were to take each bottle with me, I wouldn't have room for anything else in my carry on! So, I take a recent receipt for my meds and take a photo of the script on the bottles with my iPhone (A step up from Pam perhaps?) I also take needles and bottles of insulin with me and another med I inject once a week. They have to be kept chilled and no one has ever questioned the bag I keep them in when traveling. We just got back from traveling to Jamaica over Christmas and no one ever checked or questioned. Everything is with me or my husband 24/7 when traveling. We wouldn't leave it because we know it's my life we are leaving behind.

Funny story. . . When I first started taking inulin and the family went to Disney for a vacation, I had all my meds in the carryon. We went to check in our luggage and DH asked if the carry on was to be checked in. I told him, 'no, my drugs are in there.' Well, wrong words! When we went through the screening, I was stopped right away, the case was wiped down, I was scanned. . . . and on and on!!! We don't joke about it anymore. . .

I put my pills in daily pill holders. I get mine in 90 day quantities and if I were to take each bottle with me, I wouldn't have room for anything else in my carry on! So, I take a recent receipt for my meds and take a photo of the script on the bottles with my iPhone (A step up from Pam perhaps?) I also take needles and bottles of insulin with me and another med I inject once a week. They have to be kept chilled and no one has ever questioned the bag I keep them in when traveling. We just got back from traveling to Jamaica over Christmas and no one ever checked or questioned. Everything is with me or my husband 24/7 when traveling. We wouldn't leave it because we know it's my life we are leaving behind.

Funny story. . . When I first started taking inulin and the family went to Disney for a vacation, I had all my meds in the carryon. We went to check in our luggage and DH asked if the carry on was to be checked in. I told him, 'no, my drugs are in there.' Well, wrong words! When we went through the screening, I was stopped right away, the case was wiped down, I was scanned. . . . and on and on!!! We don't joke about it anymore. . .

A similar thing happened to me in Europe once re: joking about that. It got me two days detainment at a certain airport in Germany while they verified things and questioned me about trafficking.

I also get my Rx mail ordered in 90 day increments (except Ambien, can't do more than 30 days at a time on that)... to take them with me in their original bottles would consume a LOT of space in my bag. That's also an excellent idea.... taking photos of the bottles. I do a similar thing with my health insurance, drivers license in one of those "in case of emergency" apps on my phone. My significant other thinks I'm paranoid, since I'm barely 30, but hey.... you can't be too careful!

He also uses to diabetes injection pens, which have to be refrigerated. Another reason we chose Princess - fridge in room w/o any hassle.

My chief concern is that we are flying from Jacksonville > Fort Lauderdale, and I don't want TSA to get ants in their pants over me having a pill caddy instead of the actual bottles. I'm confident the port security people aren't interested, but TSA has "eyes like Sauron".. hah.

Edited by tbonecopper

I wasn't going to chime in here, as it is pretty much what everybody else has been saying; however, sometimes hearing the same thing helps to confirm it solidly!!

We've been on only the one cruise, (counting the days till our next in November!!) however, we travel by air quite extensively and I have NEVER had a problem with my meds in a weekly pill caddy. Enough pill caddy's plus one extra, to see me through my planned trip, in a large zip-loc baggy, along with my hearing aid charger, go in my very large purse/carry-on.

Essentially my life is in that purse/carry-on!! Therefore, someone would have to rip my arm off to get it from me!

I also have always carried the ubiquitous "pill bottle" that nearly every woman on the planet has a version of in her purse. At Wal-Mart, (near the travel size section) I found a handy little case about the size of a deck of cards. It comes in various colors, but is clear. It contains Tylenol, Tylenol PM, a sleep aid without pain reliever, multi-vitamins, and other "travelers helpers". I have NEVER been questioned by TSA or any other security. Also, I have never carried either a letter from my Doctor, or a copy of my prescriptions. I do have a handy little form that I found and filled out on-line, then printed. It is called "My Medicine List", and I believe I found it on http://www.safemedication.com. This form has sections for meds and their dosages, allergies, non-prescription meds, anything that a medical provider may need to know in the event of an emergency. I carry this list in my wallet. It is only 2 sheets of paper. This handy list has proven invaluable at Doctor's offices or hospitals. I simply hand them the papers, they copy it, and voila!!

Hope this helps!! Happy traveling!