Cost/fee for the forts

CheckersMidwest

Is there an entrance fee for the forts ?

Yes there is a charge..... I believe it is $3.00 for one or $5.00 for both. They are very worth the price. If you happen to have a US parks passport they are included in that. I am not sure if there is a different price for kids, adults, seniors etc. They are so cool historically.

The forts are AWESOME! If you have time for both, I recommend starting at San Cristobol (almost straight north from the cruise ship, and an easy uphill walk) due to the extra signage that will give you a good idea what you'll looking at. El Moro is the cooler fort but signage is sparse.

Complete details at: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Edited by CaribbeanBound

The forts are AWESOME!

/QUOTE]

Just wondering what you feel makes a fort AWESOME. DH likes to go to forts...me...not so much. Maybe I will understand it if I hear someone else's persceptive.

There's hidden gold.

I know this post has to do with cost but am hoping someone can answer this question. We are going to San Juan for the first time and want to know if the forts are walkable from the cruise port. We are seniors. We're very mobile, but still over 65. Thank you so much!

I know this post has to do with cost but am hoping someone can answer this question. We are going to San Juan for the first time and want to know if the forts are walkable from the cruise port. We are seniors. We're very mobile, but still over 65. Thank you so much!

San Cristóbal Fort is less then 1/2 mile straight up the hill from the pier in downtown OSJ. El Morrow is a little further away, 1/4 mile west of San Cristobal.

There is also a free trolly that will take you up to the forts. The trolly stop is just across the street from the pier.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

Edited by caribsun

Yes, they are walkable. There is also the free trolley that goes past both forts, there are a couple of different trolley routes, and the stops are well marked with numbered signs.

And for SENIORS- both forts are in the US National Park System.

If you have your Senior Pass, your admission is free. If you don't have one yet, you CAN purchase your lifetime Senior Pass from the forts for I believe $10

The forts are AWESOME! If you have time for both, I recommend starting at San Cristobol (almost straight north from the cruise ship, and an easy uphill walk) due to the extra signage that will give you a good idea what you'll looking at. El Moro is the cooler fort but signage is sparse.

Complete details at: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Wow, what a nice site, thanks!

About San Cristobal fort... is "La Garita del Diablo" accessible these days? Some sites say yes, and some state it's off limits.

The forts are AWESOME!

/QUOTE]

Yes, certainly worth visiting.

Just wondering what you feel makes a fort AWESOME. DH likes to go to forts...me...not so much. Maybe I will understand it if I hear someone else's persceptive.

Even if you're not into the history too much, the views are spectacular. I love looking out the windows in the turrets.

Because it is all uphill, some will find it difficult. Distance wise they are a short walk. If you are good walking uphill you'll be fine. If not, take a cab there and walk back or you could walk and stop often to catch your breath.