Sovereign/Seas or Fascination

soon2bretired

We are somewhat veteran cruisers, been on 11-12 cruises, NCL, Carnival and Disney. Trying to decide for next March, should we do Carnival Fascination, which is priced right or splurge a little and do SoS. It is me (46), husband (51), and two sons, ages 10 and 20, both sports and outdoor kids. The destinations are different but we are SO tired of nassau although love blue lagoon. Has anyone done both and preferred one over the other? i am reading positive and negative reviews about both, so its hard to tell. We have done Disney the last 3 times and i just don't want to compare others to Disney since they have their own little niche in the market. Thanks for your help; enjoying this board!

I think the SOS is a much prettier ship and service tends to be a tad better on RCI vs. Carnival (although this is a huge variable). However, if you do select SOS, be forewarned unless you select a higher priced cabin, the standard cabins are very small on SOS. If that isn't an issue to you, I'd go with SOS. Also, it was just recently refurbished.

Oh, the other issue is the fact that you are selecting a short itinerary cruise during Spring Break. Since you mentioned the Fascination was priced lower, be prepared to run into many Spring Breakers. You will have them on SOS as well, but maybe not as many if it is a higher priced cruise.

Well, this cruise is sort of a celebratory one, my husband is retiring in early summer so we chose the Grand Suite on RCCL. Those rooms looks to be a nice size. On the disney ships, even the regular rooms are a decent size so i'm hoping to be happy with the suite size on RCCL. I was thinking the same thing about spring breakers all over the place. My son should LOVE that, lol.:D Do they still have the sports deck on the SoS? It's funny, back in the 80s when we cruised regularly, these ships, the fantasy and the SoS were all brand new and now they seem dated! The fantasy was the first one we looked into until we saw it just did nassau again. So many choices ! thanks!

SOS just underwent a major refurbishment last year. You might go over to the RCI board and ask about the additions. As to sports, the SOS has a rock-climbing wall. Oh, and CocoCay is beautiful.

Archived