Balcony ( get it or not??)

I had a balcony on the Oasis and loved it but when we went to the Freedom, we switched to an ocean view for several reasons. The main was cost (we were paying for 4 people not two since we were bringing the kids) but I also had slight paranoia about kids and balconies, although I'm sure they would be fine- just one of those irrational mom worries. I personally really enjoyed the ocean view. The view felt so close to the water and when we wanted to get in the open air we just ran up to deck 5 and watched from there. The location was very convenient to the dining room too. The rocking of the boat seemed very gentle on deck 2 versus the upper decks as well. The two things I missed about the balcony was that our swimsuits took forever to dry in the room (that ocean breeze really helps) and when my son got congested and threw up in the room (sorry if that's TMI), I really would have loved to be able to open a window.

That being said we did get a balcony room for our next family cruise on the Jewel for all the reasons above and it's my in-laws first cruise and we wanted to get then hooked. So balcony although slightly obstructed- it is! That's all they had left for connecting rooms on short notice booking. Hope that helps!

Edited by usckatieh

First cruise was an inside room 98 sq ft. Pride of Aloha. We thought we were in heaven!

Then we sailed with a balcony. For us, it's a totally .. totally different cruise experience. Sure, if you are in an inside or oceanbiew, and want sunshine and warm air, go up on deck. But, a balcony.. just 3 steps away.

But, it comes down to what YOU like to do with your vacation time. If you are the gogogogogo type- always doing SOMETHING, and sitting around relaxing is not on your radar - a balcony might be a waste of money. But, for us, we love a nice sea day - kicking back on the balcony reading a book, watching the brilliant blue Caribbean waters. We love eating room service breakfast on the balcony. To us.. it's twice the vacation. I don't think I could sail without one, unless there were some killer OV deals, or some other unique situation.

It is apparent that everyone has an opinion and OP will never know what hers is unless she tries, so I encourage her to try the balcony.

For us, our first cruise was a balcony in the eastern Med. We then did a JS and then a couple of OVs another balcony and then an inside. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the cruises and I personally don't really care that much. If the price is right I would choose a balcony, but I have never felt like I enjoyed a cruise less because we were in another category. And I have never been able to tell the difference in categories at night with the lights out.

It's a matter of preference and you won't know what it's like until you try it. For us, a balcony is a must but we spend a lot of our free time relaxing on it.

I encourage you to try it at least once if it's within your budget. Happy cruising!