French Quarter Festival

CruzControl

We are scheduled to leave out of NOLA in April but didn't realize at the time that we depart the weekend of French Quarter Festival. I have heard great things about that festival. However, we will have our 6 and 8 year old boys with us. So is it really family friendy? They seem to have some activities for kids, but I am a little skeptical. I know how Bourbon st. can get and don't want to expose them to that. We would be there primarily in the afternoon after mass and hopefully for dinner. But if it is crazy, we may want to rethink this. I just to preserve their innocence for as long as possible:)

Everything about the French Quarter Festival is G-rated. It is nothing like Mardi Gras. No (or very few)drunks, and no nudity. Lots of good local bands, from jazz to classical, and there are activities for kids.

Like most New Orleans events, it started out small but has become a huge festival, mainly because it is free. Expect big crowds, especially at the venues along the riverfront, and the lines for food and drinks can be long.

The smaller bands (and smaller crowds) are along Royal Street and around the Old US Mint at Decatur and Esplanade.

They haven't posted the music schedule yet, but you will be able to find it in a month or so at

http://www.fqfi.com

Everything about the French Quarter Festival is G-rated. It is nothing like Mardi Gras. No (or very few)drunks, and no nudity. Lots of good local bands, from jazz to classical, and there are activities for kids.

Like most New Orleans events, it started out small but has become a huge festival, mainly because it is free. Expect big crowds, especially at the venues along the riverfront, and the lines for food and drinks can be long.

The smaller bands (and smaller crowds) are along Royal Street and around the Old US Mint at Decatur and Esplanade.

They haven't posted the music schedule yet, but you will be able to find it in a month or so at

http://www.fqfi.com

Thanks!! That is good to know. We will try and head down for a bit. My husband lived down there for a few years over 10 years ago and thought it would be fine. But his idea of "family friendly" when he was a student is probably a little different as a father so I was hoping to get confirmation from someone who has been recently:)