MSC Fantasia- excursion DIY or cruise tour?

antiq

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can suggest which of this cruise port worth joining a cruise ship tour? I have tried a couple of Italian independent tour guides including Joe Banana who will not have us as the time docked is too short. I would prefer to have a private tour as there will be 11 of us including children. Can anyone suggest other guides? Thank you!!

ITINERARY

Sat 11 Jul Marseille .... 19:00 Docked

Sun 12 Jul Genoa 08:00 17:00 Docked

Mon 13 Jul Naples 13:00 19:00 Docked

Tue 14 Jul Messina 08:00 18:00 Docked

Wed 15 Jul Valletta 08:00 16:00 Docked

Thu 16 Jul La Goulette 07:00 13:00 Docked

Fri 17 Jul Barcelona 15:00 23:00 Docked

Sat 18 Jul Marseille 12:00 .... Docked

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can suggest which of this cruise port worth joining a cruise ship tour? I have tried a couple of Italian independent tour guides including Joe Banana who will not have us as the time docked is too short. I would prefer to have a private tour as there will be 11 of us including children. Can anyone suggest other guides? Thank you!!

ITINERARY

Sat 11 Jul Marseille .... 19:00 Docked

Sun 12 Jul Genoa 08:00 17:00 Docked

DIY A visit to the aquarium 20 min walk from the docks is great; Adult entrance €24

(Ship's tour to Aquarium costs €35 Adult / €25.90 Child)

Mon 13 Jul Naples 13:00 19:00 Docked

Not sure myself

Tue 14 Jul Messina 08:00 18:00 Docked

DIY Easy to walk to the sights in Messina; main attraction the Cathedral with the world's largest astronomical clock with moving figures at midday

Etna Ship's excursion cost €49.90/€35.90

Taormina (Historic fishing village) Ship's excursion cost €50.90/35.90

Wed 15 Jul Valletta 08:00 16:00 Docked

WALK IN YOURSELF

Thu 16 Jul La Goulette 07:00 13:00 Docked

SHIP's TOUR (for safety, unless you know a really reliable guide)

Fri 17 Jul Barcelona 15:00 23:00 Docked

DIY HOHO bus

Sat 18 Jul Marseille 12:00 .... Docked

The prices quoted were for DEC 2014

Just my personal thoughts others will have different/better ideas

Pete

Edited by Skier52

You can totally do Naples on your own, problem is you have just no time to do main attractions.

If you had time, going to Pompeia is very easy taking the train (and the tram from the ship to the station). You can walk in the city centre from the ship, or you can also take the ferry to Capri near the ship. If you want to visit the Amalfi coast that is a different story even if you have time

Thanks Pete :) That's the problem the time is tight. Which one would you choose Etna or Taormina?

I read about hiring a taxi in Valetta for a private tour, would you recommend that?

I guess for Naples, we'll just book Pompeii with the cruise liner so we can return on time.

Thanks Pete :) That's the problem the time is tight. Which one would you choose Etna or Taormina?

I read about hiring a taxi in Valetta for a private tour, would you recommend that?

I guess for Naples, we'll just book Pompeii with the cruise liner so we can return on time.

I've only done Etna and it was underwhelming as it was winter and foggy. I can't comment on te village other than to say I've in reviews it is very picturesque. I would imagine that kids would prefer to go up the "active" volcano rather than a picturesque villahe.

Valletta is a walk staight off the ship to the lift up the walls (about 500 yards cost €1 each way) and with the aid of a tourist map go and find the sights yourself, it is a bit hilly but the main sites are :-

the grand masters palace,

the cathedals and main churches (3 of them)

the war meseum ,

the malta experience ,

the memorial bell,

the saluting battery.

all contained wthiin an area of about half a mile long by third of a mile wide

For Naples i've been told ,by good friends , that Herculanium is superior to Pompeii but i have no personal experience of that, but time might be a factor.

Pete

VALLETTA MAP

Valletta-Tourist-Map-2.jpg

map_large.jpg

Edited by Skier52

Valetta is so easy to do on your own. Just make sure to get the lift otherwise it is a steep climb up! Can't see how hiring a car would help at all unless you don't want to see Valetta but want to tour the island. Valetta is an incredibly old city with some narrow alleys, so doesn't exactly lend itself to be toured by car.

I'd give you directions for how to get the train to Pompeii to Dorrento but I think you are far too tight for time.

There are fixed proce taxi tours at La Goulette as an alternative to MDC shorex. Don't think you have a guide as such. Depends what is important to you. I've know others to just walk into town without any issues and others get the train. Depends how confident younare travelling in different countries and dealing with different cultures.

The problem is that we have a group of 11 family member for this cruise ranging from 60+ to 10 months old baby :) I want to DIY to make it easier and slower and perhaps save some $$ too.

Looks like I will do the Pompeii and Tunis offered by MSC since they have the shortest time slot.

Would you recommend us taking a local bus to Taormina and explore the town of foot?

The problem is that we have a group of 11 family member for this cruise ranging from 60+ to 10 months old baby :) I want to DIY to make it easier and slower and perhaps save some $$ too.

Looks like I will do the Pompeii and Tunis offered by MSC since they have the shortest time slot.

Would you recommend us taking a local bus to Taormina and explore the town of foot?

I'm sorry to say I have no experience of Taomina.

Have a look at my review from 2 months ago where i've got a bit about going around messina with pictures of what there is to see

Link to review

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=9372

Pete

Thanks Pete. Excellent review!!. How do you have time cruising so much :)

I have all the time there is because i'm retired and so is my DW; but I do have to fit it in around my SKIING:):):)

Pete

Edited by Skier52

We found La Goulette to be easy - the taxi system is all regulated from inside the port building - you pay them and they assign you a driver. There is a choice of the three main sites Medina, Carthage and Sidi Bou Said and you pay Euro 20 40 or 60 if you do 1 2 or 3 sites. We loved Tunis.

They are normal size taxi's so you would need to hire three of them but it is still cheaper than taking a ship tour.

@ Pete :):):):) retired at 52 :):) sounds like you have good knees and endurance to fit them all in.

@ Janet&Carl- if you choose 3 sites, does the driver wait for you? I would prefer doing our own thing in Tunis at a slower pace but time is limited. More worried about missing the ship.