Water Taxi to Caye Caulker

Illinois cruiser

We have done the Coral Breeze tour in the past and loved our time on Caye Caulker. Now we just want to go to Caye Caulker and hang out for the day. I know there are two water taxis that go there and I've read that we just need to catch the 1:30 taxi back to port. Has anyone done this and what was your experience? I always worry about getting back to port in time.

Hi there. We did this last March. I believe due to the time difference we were able to catch the 8am Belize time water taxi to CC. It's about a 40 minute ride over. We stayed a couple hours and ended up on I think the 12:30 back . We could have easily taken the 1:30 back as well, but my girls wanted to stop at the chocolate factory in the port area, so we wanted to have enough time. The water taxi was very easy, just right outside the port area to your left as you exit. The tour can guides directed us. The ticket booth is right near the dock where the taxi leaves from. We had a great day on CC!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the San Pedro Belize Express water taxi. You can go to belizewatertaxi.com for the schedule and rates. I think it's around $25 round trip for adults and my kids were a little less. My 3 year old might have been free. Once there we just went to our right and walked down to the split. There was a little beach/pier area there and a restaurant/bar called the lazy lizard. There is also access to the water there and you can snorkel with your own gear. I think there are snorkel tours that go from Caye caulker too but we didn't do that. It's a neat place just to walk around, there are a lot of little food vendors and small shops set up. We had a great time there!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Google Earth image, it appears the Lazy Lizard has the biggest beach on the Island. There are a couple of "Beach Resorts" shown, any opinions on those?

We are interested in having a quiet day visiting small shops, sitting on a beach (chairs optional), swimming in a nice spot, and having a "not for the timid" lunch at a place with local flavor. There are three ships in port on our day in Belize City, is this a good place to find these things?

So you know the beach is not what you would think of a typical beach. The sand is pretty packed down. But my girls did find spots to play with their sand pails and shovels so it's not all bad :) but I would say for laying out in the sun, taking a dip in the water, and trying some local food and drink it's an excellent spot!