Vacation protection question

Indytraveler83

We are 20 days out from cruising and are getting a little bit nervous, as we have not purchased vacation protection to this point...

Now it is my understanding that we can purchase it 14 days before our trip, and the carnival website does look like it is fully able to allow us to add protection on. However, I have a very specific question about the protections offered...

Our main concern is that both of us have a grandparent with failing health. Both of these relatives have been in and out of the hospital for the past year due to various medical problems. Neither have been declared to have a terminal illness, but both are elderly with increasing problems.

The vacation protection contract would seem to protect us in case of the worst happening, however I noticed that it states that it does not cover the following:

"a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is purchased;"

Does this apply to only the people actually on the cruise? I've seen mixed answers on this board, and the carnival representatives I spoke with aren't entirely certain either. Any thoughts or advice for this situation?

Last June, my Aunt died the first day of our cruise after being admitted to hospice care six weeks earlier. When I filled out the paperwork, I had to state my relationship to the deceased and submit a copy of the death certificate. That's it. There are more lengthy forms that must be completed along with doctor's signature for leaving the cruise due to sudden illness or accident of loved one. I used Carnival's insurance and could not be more satisfied with the service I received. More kudos to the ship's staff who could not have been more helpful.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

I would also go with a 3rd party insurance company that covers cancellation for the reasons you list. Up until last year we always self insured (no insurance and took our chances since we have medical insurance that will cover out of country and even air evacuation if needed) But last year my father in law became medically fragile and if anything happened we know we would skip our vacation or leave early. So now we buy insurance. Luckily we haven't needed to use it, and when he passes we will reexamine our needs.

Thanks for the quick responses. After being frustrated with Carnival being unable to answer my questions I spoke with a very helpful representative from AIG Travelguard who laid out the answers to my questions very well.

In my specific case the pre-existing conditions of the family members would be considered "not covered" if those specific conditions worsened to the point that we were uncomfortable leaving for our trip. However, if I had purchased insurance within 15 days of my first payment they would have also waived the pre-existing condition clause. (AIG specific, I don't believe this applies to all insurance)

However death is not considered to be part of the pre-existing condition clause and we would be fully covered if either were to pass away for any reason and we needed to cancel our trip due to their passing.

I went ahead and purchased a policy from them, as they stated they would cover the entire vacation (our trip includes 2 days in New Orleans prior to the cruise) and their pricing was almost half of Carnival's.

I wanted to put the "pre-existing condition" clause here in details as it seems a question that not everyone knows the answer to, and I've seen debates in previous threads. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future as well!