Carnival Conquest new internet/wifi service?

gbfan06

Hi! We are currently sailing on the Carnival Freedom (repositioning cruise, day 9/12). We have been using the new ship-wide internet/wifi service throughout the cruise with both our laptop/IPad. It works very well for us throughout the ship and has enabled us to remain in touch with developments back home.

I'm curious if anyone knows whether the Carnival Conquest will have the new internet/wifi service installed by April '15? I've heard the new wifi package is currently available on the Freedom, Breeze and Sunshine. I may book some relatives on an early April sailing of Conquest and would like to know if it also will be so equipped.

Thanks!:)

Hi! We are currently sailing on the Carnival Freedom (repositioning cruise, day 9/12). We have been using the new ship-wide internet/wifi service throughout the cruise with both our laptop/IPad. It works very well for us throughout the ship and has enabled us to remain in touch with developments back home.

I'm curious if anyone knows whether the Carnival Conquest will have the new internet/wifi service installed by April '15? I've heard the new wifi package is currently available on the Freedom, Breeze and Sunshine. I may book some relatives on an early April sailing of Conquest and would like to know if it also will be so equipped.

Thanks!:)

As of two weeks ago it didnt. Also internet cafe has been kicked out of its own area and now consists of only 4 terminals outside its former room on deck 4.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Just got off the Conquest on Monday. Got the all you can use internet package for the 8 days for $99. Worked faster than any internet we have used on any other ship.

Thanks for that information. That is a lot less expensive that I have paid before.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Conquest and I bought the Social package. It gives you access to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. It was $25 for an 8 day cruise. I think the daily rate was $5.

Service was fairly good. Slow sometimes but overall a good value and allowed me to keep in touch with people.

Is the Unlimited Wifi ship wide or do you have to go to select areas for this?

Thanks

Steve

I can't speak for the $99 internet but for the Social package I was able to use in my stateroom as well as all other areas of the ship. It was slightly slower when I was out on my balcony and in the ships main theater but still worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about the same. According to CCL's website the Conquest does already have only the new packages...?

I've been wondering because the new policy bothers me... because normally I just want to check email 3-4 times during an entire cruise, but apparently I'll no longer be able to get by with a $30 package (45 minutes) like I used to. I seriously doubt that I'll want to blow a hundred bucks (or $16 a day per device), on a cruise ship, just to check email every now and then. Yeah yeah, bah humbug I know, but jeez...

I understand the new pricing scheme is "necessary" for CCL (and others) to pay for higher speeds/more reliable service, or at least that's their rationale. But is it really faster/more reliable all the time, even on sea days?

At any rate, if there are more options than the all-inclusive or per-day packages that carnival.com describes, would somebody kindly post the details here? Thanks...

Edited by Moonarino

Is the Unlimited Wifi ship wide or do you have to go to select areas for this?

Thanks

Steve

On every ship I've ever been on, wireless coverage is pretty much shipwide. And with Carniva's new on-ship app thingie (edit/add: Hub App, not available on Conquest yet?), I'm assuming that will possibly make coverage better than ever, if the new Internet equipment didn't.

Edited by Moonarino

Currently aboard the Conquest and they do have ship wide wifi

It was $70 for the 5day cruise for the premium package.

They had a $40 package (no skype etc) and a $18 social media package. (Facebook Twitter etc). I got this for my wife and we realized iMessage worked as well (although it didn't say)

The speed for the premium package is decent. It feels like you have to give it a second or two and then the data flows. Buffering maybe not sure.

I've used Skype and uploaded all my photos taken to Dropbox without an hitch.

attached is the screen shot for the prices.

It says imessage not available but it is. I haven't tried FaceTime.

frostycanada, big thanks from me for posting the pricing. I don't know why CCL's website couldn't have mentioned that there is cruise-length pricing (e.g. the Value package), as that seems to be the ticket.

Was on the 8 day sailing 8/13, got the $99 unlimited plan for DW and I. Before you sign up on the offering page there is a link to a PDF that as a FAQ. And in the FAQ it says if you have trouble with your connection trying leaving the cabin door open.

Access points are in the hallway for cabins as far as I saw. We didn't have problem in our cabin and reception was better in the cabin bathroom (yah I'm a MALE) believe it or not.

Did have some reduced capacity but also loss CNN and some of the movie channels (TCM?) during the trip as well, could have been the same satellite. Overall we were satisfied with our $99 purchase.

frostycanada, big thanks from me for posting the pricing. I don't know why CCL's website couldn't have mentioned that there is cruise-length pricing (e.g. the Value package), as that seems to be the ticket.

frostycanada was on a 5-day so I think we should expect that all of the package prices will be more on an 8-day....

Great info, thank you all!