oosterdam

Rhonbru

we are going on a cruise on the oosterdam, I have noticed on cruise critic that this ship seems to have bad reviews, has any one been on this ship recently and can give any comments.

Yes, Rhonbru, we came off the Oosterdam last Friday after a 14 day cruise to NZ and we had no complaints to speak of, except for lesser quality teabags that HAL seems to have changed to, LOL. The ship was very ably captained by Capt Peter Bos who had many amused by his constant urging to wash our hands. Bed was comfy as usual; room always beautifully cleaned; staff and crew always helpful; show lounge entertainment bit up and down, but tolerable at the least. Otherwise everything seemed pretty standard HAL. We enjoyed our cruise and hope you do too. Where are you going?

Ozcruizer

Yes, Rhonbru, we came off the Oosterdam last Friday after a 14 day cruise to NZ and we had no complaints to speak of, except for lesser quality teabags that HAL seems to have changed to, LOL. The ship was very ably captained by Capt Peter Bos who had many amused by his constant urging to wash our hands. Bed was comfy as usual; room always beautifully cleaned; staff and crew always helpful; show lounge entertainment bit up and down, but tolerable at the least. Otherwise everything seemed pretty standard HAL. We enjoyed our cruise and hope you do too. Where are you going?

Ozcruizer

we are also going on a 14 day new zealand cruise, I'm glad you found the ship good, I was a bit disappointed to read all the bad reviews but do realise that some people are extremely fussy and will complain about anything.

we are also going on a 14 day new zealand cruise, I'm glad you found the ship good, I was a bit disappointed to read all the bad reviews but do realise that some people are extremely fussy and will complain about anything.

You are so right, Rhonbru. You wonder how perfect their lives are at home.

Hope the weather is good for you. We missed out on Akaroa, to our disappointment, because of weather. About 1000 had been tendered ashore when the Captain decided to call a stop to it as he had concerns about getting everyone back if the weather worsened. We would have been on the next tender! One person commented that it took the tender he was on an hour to reach shore. At least we got to Napier this time - we missed it on our last cruise there five years ago.

Ozcruizer

We also just got off on Friday from cruise around New Zealand. Arrived home yesterday after many hours of travel but really enjoyed it. I also when planning this trip was concerned about the reviews but everything was wonderful. We were one of the "lucky" ones that made it to Akaroa. I never get sea sick but I was close to it on that tender. Took about 50 min to reach shore. Coming back was much calmer but we had a great Nature cruise once we got to shore. The crew was wonderful, no complaints from the dining to the cabin "guys" We had a renewal of vows on this cruise so got to spend an hour with the wonderful Captain. He was a delight and we have many wonderful photos of our ceremony. You will enjoy your cruise. The ship is showing its age but I considered her a "gracefully aging old lady" like me:o

we are going on a cruise on the oosterdam, I have noticed on cruise critic that this ship seems to have bad reviews, has any one been on this ship recently and can give any comments.

I, too, have read recent reviews of the Oosterdam, and I share a concern about the general physical condition of the ship. It has been 10 years since we sailed on the Oosterdam. At that time, the ship was in excellent condition. We understand that the Oosterdam is being re-positioned to the Caribbean, and we have booked a January 2016 cruise. Here's the question. After a major re-positioning, does Holland America Line spend money on major repairs, maintenance, and modernization?

We also just got off the New Zealand cruise, and agree that everything was pretty good. We had the anytime? your time? whatever, MDR dining, and service was slow some nights, faster on others. Wine service spotty also. The internet was excruciatingly slow, the chairs in Explorations Cafe area desperately need replacing, but overall we had a great cruise. Even made it to shore in Akoroa, and then had a scheduled sailing excursion! The crew works really, really hard to get everything done.

I, too, have read recent reviews of the Oosterdam, and I share a concern about the general physical condition of the ship. It has been 10 years since we sailed on the Oosterdam. At that time, the ship was in excellent condition. We understand that the Oosterdam is being re-positioned to the Caribbean, and we have booked a January 2016 cruise. Here's the question. After a major re-positioning, does Holland America Line spend money on major repairs, maintenance, and modernization?

I am pretty sure she goes in to Dry Dock after your cruise and not before :(

I have cruised several times on several different lines but picked the Oosterdam because of the itinerary. I was starting to get nervous reading all of the negative ship reviews but after reading this post I feel much better. Thank you all!

We have a very active Roll Call for the Oosterdam Apr 5 and Apr 19, 2015 sailing. Come on over and introduce yourself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1884781&page=162

• 3 weeks later...

We will be boarding the Oosterdam on Aug. 30 in Vancouver and heading north up to Seward. Do anyone know if the ship will be in dry dock before then? I too was somewhat concerned about some of the negative reviews - thanks for the positive input!

We have some experience with HAL- did a South American cruise on the Rotterdam a number of years ago, and loved it.

Recent cruisers - how was the food in the main dining room? Any special dishes we "must" try? Did they offer any organized games of bridge? Do we need ear plugs for the BB King

Blues show? Anybody have any activity newsletters to share?

Thanks so much.

Phyllis