Thomson Celebration, Caribbean...

Hi,

We are considering our first ever cruise in February next year. This date is set due to the event we will be celebrating. We like the look and itinerary of the Thomson Celebration, Caribbean cruise (circa 8 days + 1 week resort). However, we have a few questions that we can't seem to find answers to, so here goes:

- what are the dining arrangements? are you free to dine when and where you like or are there sittings?

- the public rooms don't appear very big on the photos. We understand the ship accommodates about 3000 passengers. Is this a problem?

- are there enough sun lounges?

- what is the entertainment like? (we will be x4 adults)

- is the drinks all inclusive value for money? (e.g. branded sprits etc.)

- any recommended cabins with balconies?

I guess we just don't want to feel comfortable this is the cruise for us ;-)

Appreciate your responses...

hi there

celebration holds about 1200 passengers

there is celebration/dream drinks menu here that shows pay as you go prices & ai supplements

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1748329

cant help with current entertainment or balconies.... only been on celeb once a few years ago....someone will know:cool:

hope this helps

It is open dining on Thomson Celebration (as on all Thomson ships). You turn up to the waiter service restaurant when you want. There is also the buffet restaurant which is open continuously from breakfast until late night.

You do though have to book if you wish to use the chargeable a la carte restaurant.

The shows on Thomson ships are generally thought to be the best of all the cruise lines. The Showteam perform them twice each night so everyone gets to see one of the performances.

You also get live music around the ship Horizons is nice with a duo playing till the early hours and liberties also has live music and game shows, plenty of sun beds, never had a balcony only ever been deck 6 or 7

We have been on lots of times and always had a great time as I am certain you will.

Hi,

We are considering our first ever cruise in February next year. This date is set due to the event we will be celebrating. We like the look and itinerary of the Thomson Celebration, Caribbean cruise (circa 8 days + 1 week resort). However, we have a few questions that we can't seem to find answers to, so here goes:

- what are the dining arrangements? are you free to dine when and where you like or are there sittings?

- the public rooms don't appear very big on the photos. We understand the ship accommodates about 3000 passengers. Is this a problem?

- are there enough sun lounges?

- what is the entertainment like? (we will be x4 adults)

- is the drinks all inclusive value for money? (e.g. branded sprits etc.)

- any recommended cabins with balconies?

I guess we just don't want to feel comfortable this is the cruise for us ;-)

Appreciate your responses...

I was on the Celebration the week before last here are my honest answers:

1. You are free to dine at whatever time you wish in either the Main Dining Room or the Lido. The only exclusion is on the Captains Dinner where there are 2 sittings. you will be invited to one of the sittings. However if you are miserable sods like us you can dine as you wish in the Lido on this night. Plenty of people take this option. There are also 2 new paying restaurants Kora La is the Asian cuisine. I thought worth the money but others might think otherwise. There is another steak area but didn't go here so cannot comment.

2. The ship does not hold 3000 but 1240 passengers. The public areas are ample don't forget other than the sea day most people get off the ship during the day so there is plenty of room.

3. There are plenty of sun loungers around the ship. In fact they have removed the sports area on the top deck so there is more room now for sunbathing. On word of warning, on the sea day everybody is obviously on the ship. Don't get up at lunchtime hoping to get a bed. You will be disappointed. We got up at around 9am, had breakfast and then went out. there was plenty of room. The best place is on the very top deck towards the front of the ship this is the last place to fill up. The pool area does get busy quite early as this is the place where they have entertainment during the day.

4. Entertainment. Depends what you find entertaining. In the evening there are usually 2 shows. singing and dancing. These are excellent. Some good singers and dancers. they last about 45 mins. They also have a uk comedian one evening who then does a late night show on the Thursday. Plenty of other entertainment round the ship. Mainly singers and The Peakles (not brilliant)

Incidentally Thomson Spirit the sister ship has just won an award for best entertainment. Thomson are renown for their entertainment

5. The all inclusive drinks option is not all inclusive! You will have to pay a reduced charge for most drinks.ie cocktails £4.70 but on AI £2.70 (approx.) We have done AI before but find that you are then drinking to make sure you get your moneys worth. Might be worth it if you are decent drinkers and going with friends as you are more likely to beat the cost. At £199 each I think its expensive. Its a drinks package not all inclusive! They now offer a wine package on board when you embark on the first day. If you like wine this is still expensive but some decent quality wine.

6. Did not stay in a balcony room. The balconies do look a reasonable size but expensive to me, plus if you are going with friends are you likely to stay in your room that much? My advice is save your money on drinks package and balconies and put this money to trips on the islands. You will have a much better time. The Caribbean is lovely but the towns are a bit shabby. Best spend as much time on the beautiful beaches as you can.

Hope this helps. By the way I have just posted my report on our holiday. Just waiting for Cruise Critic to review and post it.