Please Rate My Picks

kchesneylover

Please rate my picks for snorkeling on the Western Carribean Cruise Valor on October 2. Am I making decent decisions? Much input would be appreciated!

BELIZE – (2 hours behind ship time)

Hol Chan Marine

ROATAN (2 hours behind ship time)

West Bay Beach

COZUMEL

Dzul Ha

GRAND CAYMAN

Cemetary Reef

For Cozumel and GCM, those are good choices, don't know about Roatan or Belize.

You should consider doing Snuba in Cozumel instead of just snorkeling. It is much more liberating being able to breath underwater and not being forced to surface to breath.

Kchensneylover I can only speak about your choices for Cozumel and GC. I think both are good. In Cozumel, any of the little beach clubs near Dzul-Ha are good. They all have easy access to the reef. There are lots of fish in this area. Although I have never been there, I hear that Chankanaab park is also good, but much more crowded and commercial.

In GC, I think your choice of Cemetery Reef is great. I havent been there since last years hurricanes, but I think it will still be good. The beach is right behind the cemetery and access is by way of a path on the north side of the grounds. There are NO facilities there so you need to bring anything you will need. There is a nice little Fosters Market on this road and I would say it is about 1/4 mile past the cemetery, on the same side of the street. It is a short swim out to the reef and if you are adventurous you can follow it south back down seven mile beach for as long as you like.

I see from another post you are concerned about sharks and eels. Don't worry a bit. Like another poster said as long as your not draging a bleeding fish you won't see a shark and as long as you don't reach into a rock crevice you won't get bitten by an eel.

The best advice I can pass along to you is, take your time. Most people pass along the reef way to fast. The slower you go the more you will begin to notice the little things. The rocks and coral are loaded with tiny creatures and and a lot of the smallest fish will hide and then come out if you just float quietly for a minute. A practice that is usualy frowned upon is that of feeding the fish. I think that if you only do it on a limited basis it isn't too bad. Bring a roll from the ship and bring a small piece into the water and you will be swarmed by fish as soon as they see it.

Have a great time and let us know how the snorkeling went. I would love to go to Belize some day. Let us know what spots are the best.

Archived