Moray Eels and Sharks

kchesneylover

I am a bit concerned about the moray eels and sharks when I go snorkeling in Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. If I see an eel, I am so scared it is going to attack me. In no way would I provoke it. I heard that their bite is FIERCE and you have to cut their heads off to get them to release.

the sharks - well thats self-explanatory!

I am frightened! But I want to snorkel!

kchesneylover, don't worry about the eels and sharks. I promise they are more afraid of you than you are of them. They WILL defend themselves when dumbo's provoke them--just like we as humans would defend ourselves if provoked!

Go and snorkel and have a wonderful time admiring all of God's underwater beauty!

Just don't poke your fingers out if you are snorkeling along the reefs, once in Maui I was snorkeling I didn't even see this moray eel sticking his head out from the rocks, scared the holy **** out of me, just for a second, then I grabbed my camera, but I guess I scared him too, cause then he was gone!!!! Sharks are actually kind of exciting, as long as they are not the dangerous type! Relax and have fun!!!!

Consider yourself lucky if you see a free swimming Moray. It is a very rare occurrence during the day. Sharks are curious by nature, but they won't anything to worry about either. You probably won't even see one. I have been on about 150 dives and out of all that time underwater, over 48 hours, I have seen only one shark.

Kchesneylover- as long as you are not actively bleeding from a wound, or carrying a bleeding and thrashing fish, or trying to reach into holes to pet the Morays, don't worry about it. Really.

If you're going snorkeling, chances are that you are going to go to a common spot where the critters are used to humans. Water critters generally ignore you until you get very close, and then they swim off. I have LOTS and LOTS of photos of fish butts. The exception is fish that have been fed. In that case, they come to see if you have food, and if not, you get the fish butt treatment.

That being said, I have been attacked by one fish in >300 dives. While diving in Ginnie Springs, a bluegill about the size of my hand and I had a nose-to-nose staring contest. After a couple of minutes, he raised his dorsal fin, pecked at the faceplate of my mask and fled.

Sharks are so graceful - if you actually get to see one, you will be spellbound by the beauty of their movement. Sharks normally avoid snorkelers because they make too much noise, but you might be lucky.

Have a great time...and don't be scared of the fish!

Wendy

Bruce - if you want to see free-swimming Morays, come on down here. We saw three cruising Morays (two green, one spotted) and two Nurse sharks in four dives over the 4th of July.

That being said, I have been attacked by one fish in >300 dives. While diving in Ginnie Springs, a bluegill about the size of my hand and I had a nose-to-nose staring contest. After a couple of minutes, he raised his dorsal fin, pecked at the faceplate of my mask and fled.

I had a similar experience diving in the Oregon Coast Aquarium. There was the one perch that would come right up to your mask, look at you for a few seconds, and then attack, bonk right on the glass. It was probably seeing a reflection of itself.

Bruce - if you want to see free-swimming Morays, come on down here. We saw three cruising Morays (two green, one spotted) and two Nurse sharks in four dives over the 4th of July.
I would love to as Florida is on my list. I'd really like to dive some of the wrecks down in the Keys.

Hey, it is a gift almost if you see a shark. Here on the coast we have alot of nurse sharks. They just look at you and go "hummmmm" and move on their merry way. Sometimes what you should worry about is other snorkelers. I call them snorkel hogs or diver hogs. They are floudering all over the water hitting you, coral and anything else in their way.

Have fun--you only live once.:) :)

I do a lot of underwater photography on my dives, and I've taken lots of pictures of sharks and moray eels. None have ever bothered me yet. However, I don't do anything to provoke them either.

Earlier this year I was diving in Bora Bora on a shark dive. We had about 3 dozen Black Tip Reef Sharks and Lemon Sharks swimming all around us. There were about seven divers in all, plus a profesisonal videographer.

No one was ever bothered by the sharks, even though they came within inches of us. While taking a picture of one shark, a 10 foot Lemon cruised just a foot over my head. They are graceful, beautiful animals, so enjoy a sighting if you're lucky enough to have one.

Meanwhile, I can look at the movie the videographer did and watch myself swim among the sharks, while I was busily taking their picture.

Regarding morays: a couple of years ago, I had exactly the same concern. I'm deathly afraid of snakes, and I was headed to Bonaire for the first time, knowing that I'd probably see some morays. And to me, morays seemed pretty darn close to snakes. Frankly, I was afraid I'd freak out the first time I saw one, forget all my scuba training, and shoot straight to the surface.

Oddly enough, I found that I'm absolutely fascinated by them. Starting with the very first one I saw. I must admit I've never seen one entirely free-swimming (although I've watched them change location, moving from one crevice to another). But as it turns out, they're one of my favorite creatures to watch (and photograph). My husband laughs at me, because he knows I started out dreading morays, and now I zoom in & stare whenever I spot one.

Sharks are another story. I've yet to see one, although I know it's just a matter of time. I'm hoping it turns out to be similar to my moray experience...

Archived