Help , advice neeeded

Mistygrey

Oddly, all my cruises (not that many) have been on large ships, but it's never really felt like there are 3000 on there, (except getting on/off and shows)

They have at last got it off to a fine art in that they manage you in such a way that you don't feel managed on board and the flow and movement of passengers doesn't create huge swathes of people, apart from the 2 exceptions you have noted.

I know loads of people say they only change and sleep in their cabin and I am sure for some of them that's true. However I have shared a table in the past with couples in an inside cabin and then you see them wandering aimlessly about the ship trying to kill time and clearly doing anything rather than go to their cabin.

I've always found that there is only one time when there's not much happening, that's from about 6:30-8 ish (roughly) when the first seating is eating but the shows/entertainment haven't started up.

Mrs Hat and Miss Hat usually need that long to get ready anyway, formal or not ....

Not necessarily. The more the industry moves to mega ships the more the smaller niche operators will thrive.

You pays your money. Most of Fred Olsen's (My mum's fave) are quite small, and then there's the Regent/Seabourn group for those that want a luxurious / more private experience.

I've booked an inside cabin on my next cruise because I know that we (failing getting sick) will spend very little time in it and I do like a dark room for sleeping. Also, since on our 14 night cruise we only have 4 days at sea we won't have time to get bored of exploring the ship, and on previous cruises I have preferred the public areas on the ships to the confines of the cabin, even when reading a book or just generally chilling. We have only sailed 2 times previously once with a window cabin which didn't really show a view other than water, and once with a nice balcony which we hardly used so did not really justify the additional expense. I have taken many overnight ferries between Holland and UK and generally have an inside cabin then with no issues, and the cruise ship cabins are nicer than the ferries. Also we are front and back ending our cruise with a stays in Venice and Germany where we will use the money saved for a bit of luxury. I will admit though that I would have liked a suite :)