Flying with insulin question

rjack22

This will be the first time flying since I have went on the insulin pens. I am wondering what to do going through security in the airport. Are the pens considered a liquid and I have to put the pens in a zip lock bag? Or would they be all right just in their prescription box in my carry on? If it matters, I have no other liquids in my carry on, just the insulin pens.

Flying tomorrow next answer fast (smile)..

Are the pens considered a liquid

Even ice that is melting is considered a liquid but there is an exception for any medical required liquid. Specifically for passengers with Diabetes is this TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes

You just have to declare that you have them to the TSA agent that is checking your ID and boarding pass. If you do not want to verbally announce use TSA’s Notification Card to communicate discreetly with security agent. http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/disability_notification_cards.pdf

officers.

FWIW

Edited by Brighton Line
Edited Link

You do not have to place the insulin pens in the zip-lock bags and you do not have to say anything to the security staff. I did all of that in the past in airports all around the world, and got laughed at by the staff. It is not the first time they see these things.

I have no idea what Marebear means. I always travel with the Frio Insulin Wallet bags (you can google, Amazon amongst others sell them, they are brilliant) that solidify after placed in cold water. Nobody ever blinks an eyelid, they contain polymer crystals. My mum always carries her insulin pens in an aluminum thermos flask. Airport security wants to look inside, but only to check if there is no coffee in it.