Christmas Markets on the Rhine - Grand Circle - Dec 9 Departure

dwz

My wife and I are going on the Grand Circle "Christmas Markets on the Rhine" river cruise departing Amsterdam on Dec 9 - arriving in Basel on Dec 20.

Is anyone else on this forum taking the same trip? It would be great to meet someone ahead of time.

This is our first river cruise and first Grand Circle trip. I woud appreciate any comments, especially about ship movement/seasick issues as my wife is a bit touchy in that area.

Thanks very much.

Dave

dwzemens@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did Basel to Amsterdam in September on Uniworld/Trafalgar River Queen.

As the previous reply indicated - the river is smooth - the trip very comfortable and the crew excetionally good. I was speaking with a couple of the crew on different occassions and they both indicated the Christmas Cruise is their very favourite. Cccccold but you play it accordingly.

As someone pointed out in one of the previous questions on the boards - the boat is a method of transport only. It generally travels overnight and if you are a light sleeper you will be aware that sometimes you are going through a lock or three. The boats seem to be 110mtres long and 11.4 metres wide and low enough to get under bridges when the wheelhouse etc is collapsed or retracted into the deck. The dimensions appear to be the max size to get through locks and bridge sections.

The scenery is spectacular - in winter I would think it will be unbelievably spectacular with snows on the mountains which line both sides of the river. The villages clinging to the river banks will be a picture.

You will enjoy it........

We traveled on the GCT Christmas Markets Down the Danube trip in December 2003. We were on the Melody, and the staff did a fantastic job of decorating the ship. Every part of the ship looked so festive. We saw other Grand Circle ships and ships from other cruise lines along the way that were decorated, but we felt the Melody would have won a contest hands down. I will be glad to send you some of the pictures if you would like. My email address is tamyra07@hotmail.com.

I am sure you will have a wonderful trip.

Archived