Pros and Cons on the NCL Getaway 2/14-21

Soccermom119

I just returned from the eastern carribean itinerary on the Getaway. This was the first NCL cruise for my 16 yo son and I after several on Disney. Everyone here has given such great tips that I am not sure I can add much more so I will simply give you my pros and cons for this trip:

PROS:

The ship is beautiful, easy to navigate,and quite large. Never felt crowded expect up on the pool decks. Lots of walking, but it works off all those treats!

We ate at specialty restaurants (Teppanyaki, LeBistro,LaCucina, Cagneys) and one night in the Tropicana Room. All the food was really wonderful - and I am pretty picky. Buffets are good - average food but there was always fresh fruits and veggies so I thought they balanced it well. Very happy with the UDP.

We loved the Illusionarium - well worth the admission. The show was great and I thought the food was really good.

Dom our room steward was awesome. Always a towel animal and everything just the way we like it.

Despite what I have read, I thought there was ample storage space for all our clothes etc. I always bring a shoe organizer to hang in the bathroom to put our toiletries in to keep that space clear.

Even if you think you won't drink enough to make the UBP worthwhile, it is. I am not a big drinker but if I had a few drinks by the pool, a glass of wine with dinner, and a nightcap it was more that the UBP. Get it. I promise you won't regret it.

The spa is awesome. I had a seaweed wrap and massage - excellent.

We had great excursions - Turtle Cove snorkeling, America's Cup Racing, Atlantis, and the Everglades tour. Every one was excellent and a fabulous experience.

CONS:

I found the bed to be uncomfortable. I have a bad hip and there wasnt enough cushion for me.

The rooms are quite small. We were on deck 14 (14792 - mid ship mini suite) and if we spent a lot of time in there, I felt closed in.

I am so used to the split bathroom on Disney ships that having this one bathroom was challenging. On top of that the hairdryer is by the desk so you have to do all curling/straightening etc at that desk. Not convenient.

Pool chair hogs. We met some great families and got the same spot on deck 16 each day but we are early risers so we were there before 7 each day. Be ready for lots of complaining from others. The pool deck is an epic fail in my opinion.

The photographers were aggresive and I would have preferred to seek them out if I wanted a photo.

Although the spa is wonderful the post treatment sales pitch is not.

I felt the embarkation was average - the port terminal isn't that nice. We got there at 10 and were at lunch by 11. Disembarking was very simple because we had the excursions. They have colored luggage tags so it is very organized.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask!