Liberty Tours/ Blue Hole

hlb76

I just wanted to write a quick review of our day in Ochos Rios with Liberty Tours. Sorry it wont be a great review with tons of pics :( Maybe I will come back and add them later if I ever get them off the camera..lol

We had planed this cruise May 2014 and never planned to get off the ship in OR. We had been twice and never really had a great time. Fast Forward to Nov 2014 and some friends decided to join us. Dec more decided to come as well. Soon we where a party of 10 from a party of 3.

Everyone but us had never been before and wanted to try something in OR. We decided then to look a little more and see what else there is to do besides the Falls (been there done that). I then remembered some people we cruised with last Winter had done a fun tour from Mo Bay and she could not stop raving about it on our roll call. So I went back and read her blog again and looked up the company she had used. And started researching Liberty Tours.

8/10 of us finally agreed on how to spend the day. We wanted to see Blue Hole and get some lunch then maybe the beach or shopping. I insisted we contact Liberty and went about trying to plan our day.

I emailed Ricardo and he was always fast to answer any questions I had. After a few emails we came to an agreement on our day and cost for the tour ($45 a person including entrance to Blue Hole). He was very through with plans on how to find him at the port and what to expect. He even called me twice to verify everything. I have never had that service with any tour company.

Finally our day comes and we pull into OR. Guess what it's raining! Oh well off the ship we go to find our guide for the day. We walk down the pier to find an official like our instructions say. It's kinda of a big cluster ppl everywhere all huddled trying to get out of the rain. It took a while for Ricardo to get into the compound to pick us up. Now I dont know if it felt longer as we where huddled in cramp quarters due to the rain. Maybe port authority did not have it together letting vans in? Either way it took a bit of time but soon enough we where picked up and on our way.

We headed out to find the Blue Hole. Ricardo would talk to us and tell us about his country as we drove along. He was happy to answer any questions we had and asked us a few too. We asked if we could stop along the way for some refreshments (read- beer) he was very happy to let us stop along the way. We got a few refreshments and where off to again.

Once we made it to Blue Hole Ricardo hooked us up with some guides and we where off to enjoy. He stayed back with the van and all our belongings. I felt secure to leave everything!

Blue hole was just amazing! We loved it all! We where not the first tour there so we watched other jump from various places and took in the scenery before we started on our way. Superman was one of our guides I can't recall the others name. They where great they took my camera and took many pictures along the way! They guided us up the falls with ease. We would be walking along the way and BAM there was the guide holding our hands helping us up or across. It was great! At the top we got some great pictures watched them do there first crazy jumps and soon enough it was our turn. It took a bit of courage to make the first jumps for some of us. Some did them over and over. We never felt rushed if we wanted to try again or could not get the courage to jump right away.

I don't know how long it took us to make our way down the falls but it was the time of our lives! We did every jump other than the waterfall one. A few in the group wanted to but the line was quite long so we moved along. Before we knew it we where at the bottom. I was sad it was over but was proud I conquered some fears and jumped- A LOT!

We where walked back to our van and Ricardo was waiting. We took some time to dry up. Get a picture or two with our guides. We soon said good bye and thanked ($$) them for the great day!

After the falls we where hungry. It was a little too early for lunch so we stopped for some Juicy Patties. I think we all got some different ones to try. My family enjoyed them very much! I still crave them today.

Once refueled loaded back up and got a small tour of OR. We went to the look out and spent some time there having a drink and enjoying the view. Luckily the rain held out for most of our visit. I enjoyed the look out it was new since my last visit. Street Vendors are not allowed in but they are close if you want them. They have a nice patio and bar - though the bar is very expensive. I think they had music going. It would be a fun place to spend more time had the weather been better.

Next we where off to Scotchies for some lunch. Ricardo offered to call ahead so it would be ready. We declined as we where not sure what we wanted. It was a bit of a ride over and Ricardo entertained us or maybe we entertained him. We arrived and there was a small line. Ricardo got us some menus so we could decide then got us all taken care of. Between us all we had pork, chicken, pork sausage, peas and rice and festival. We decided the pork sausage was our least favorite. The Chicken was so fresh not like the stuff we get back home. The pork had an amazing taste as well. 7/8 of us loved our meal 1 of us felt it was out of his comfort zone. I can still smell the meat cooking over sweet wood! I crave that still as well.

After lunch we had some time left to spend how we wished. It was not beach weather as the sun never cleared the rain clouds away. We asked about shopping so he took us to a shopping mall and we wandered that for a bit. We still had time left in the day but deiced from there to head back to the ship.

Ricardo dropped us back off at the ship with plenty of time to spare. Once back we said thanks ($$) for the great day. He friended us on facebook and asked us all to take a minute to write a review. Which I am on here and did elsewhere because everyone needs to know how great my day was!

I will for sure use Ricardo if ever back in Jamaica. I no longer have the I wont get off the ship feeling. I may not do BH again as been there done that but I will at least have lunch on land it was that good!

Let me know if I can answer any questions!! Hope you enjoyed!

Awesome, thank you for that very detailed information- VERY helpful! My family will be going in a few months and we are looking for something to do in Jamaica and weren't sure until I read your post! So thanks again!