Gem medical in NY

ILov2cruise

whats the best way to do a bed bug check? I was in Florida about 3 months ago in a Disney hotel and my room had bed bugs. I was literally traumatized (I wont go into what happened immediately after and upon my return to NYC but let's say, it was awful) by this and had I known, I would not have booked my upcoming (as in this Sunday) Breakaway cruise.

This is pretty much what we do whenever we check into a hotel room or ship cabin. Over the counter sprays will kill them "on contact" but you need commercial chemicals to kill them when they're hidden. You sure don't want to bring them home with you.

This is pretty much what we do whenever we check into a hotel room or ship cabin. Over the counter sprays will kill them "on contact" but you need commercial chemicals to kill them when they're hidden. You sure don't want to bring them home with you.

I thought that video was perfect. I am shocked I watched it in its entirety but I did (and I am proud of myself). I have to remember to bring a little flashlight with me to do this. I never thought of looking at the night tables. I will now though.

I always had checked the sheets upon going into a new hotel room and if they looked even remotely 'not changed', I tip the housekeeping staff and request new sheets. I dont care what they think of me especially since I tip them. This time, I will check the mattress and headboard then ask them to strip my bed.

It might be overkill but since my last experience in FL with bedbugs, I would rather sleep comfortably at night being sure.

Edited by goldesq

I could have insisted all I wanted but when its a sold out cruise there is no where to move too. The other cabins that had a bigger problem, crew did come up and spray.

I cannot believe that you would not have insisted on moving your room and speaking with the HD immediately . We were in the GV and it was spotless we had friends in various mini suites also spotless. A few years ago I had bites 2 days into the cruise on HAL and thought they were bed bugs, I was told by a doctor in San Juan ( family friend) they were tiny mosquitoes I was allergic to. I am sorry I have a hard time believing they were bed bugs. The Gem is also refurbishing as it sails and those mattresses may have been due to be replaced. Hard to believe that would have gone unspoken and unnoticed by everyone else on the ship.

I could have insisted all I wanted but when its a sold out cruise there is no where to move too. The other cabins that had a bigger problem, crew did come up and spray.

There is always extra cabins no matter what they tell you and why not insist they spray YOUR room? 1 bug, 20 bugs, 200 bugs....I wouldnt be going back in that room unless it was stripped down and bombed. Even then, if it were me, next port, I would be going home unless my room was changed.