1st Time Western Caribbean

cshaw40

We are going to try to dive in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have heard that the ship excursion dives are not that great. I am going on Princess if that means anything. I am looking for advice as to local dive operators that anyone has had experience with. I appreciate the help!!!

In GCM I recommend http://www.neptunesdivers.com for a 2 tank boat dive. Shore diving is also a good option here. The 3 sites most often mentioned are Eden Rock with nearby dive shops http://abanksdivers.com.ky and http://www.edenrockdive.com , Sunset House with their on-site dive operation and shore dive, and http://www.divetech.com for their turtle farm location shore dive. Divetech would be my first choice for a shore dive.

On Cozumel there are about 70 different dive operators in Cozumel, so you should have no problem finding a dive operator that will take you out for some excellent dives. I like http://www.bluextseadiving.com but Christi is popular so she will probably be full. http://www.divewithallison.com would be another good choice. I've only read good things about her. Also contact http://www.divewithmartin.com If you get 4 divers together, you can charter your own boat with them. You will definitely not be crowded. http://www.eagleraydivers.com is popular with many cruise divers.

We are going to try to dive in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I have heard that the ship excursion dives are not that great. I am going on Princess if that means anything. I am looking for advice as to local dive operators that anyone has had experience with. I appreciate the help!!!
In Cozumel, we have used 'Scuba with Alison' a number of times now, and she's terrific. A ton of fun on the boat, and a great DM under water. She's also been more flexible with schedule issues than other Ops I've used previously. I'm booked with her again in November on my next cruise.

As for Grand Cayman, we've only done shore diving and going to DiveTech is worth catching the bus, or grabbing a cab. Eden Rock is nice, but crowded. Lots more sea life at the reef by DiveTech, and the staff in the shop are super nice.

On GC, I dove with Tortuga Divers, http://www.tortugadivers.com, on the east side. They are located on Morrits Resort. Great crew, knowledgable and very safe. The diver / dive master ratio was never more than 6:1 in the 3 days I dove. I also liked the dives. I was diving in Sept down to 85 feet in a bathing suit. The vis was over 100'. Not much marine life, but the invertebrets are incredible. I've also gone with Don Foster Dive in Georgetown. We dove the West side, about 1 mile from the cruise ships, and it was great the day I went. More turtles and marine life, fewer inverts.

Have not dove on Cozumel, but have heard great reviews. I went snorkeling with my family at Chakanab State Park. That was an awesome snorkel site. I think you can dive there too.

I have used neptune divers in Grand Cayman and eagle ray divers in Cozumel and can recomend both.

Eagle Ray in Coz is first rate. Their dock is adjacent to Dzul Ha Beach. If you go with them, be sure to book a three reef dive. The two reef trip is only a few hundred yards off shore - you could do it from the beach. The longer trip goes to the main outer reefs.

Cshaw.....you don't mention when your trip is so I don't know if this helps. We will be going to GC the end of Oct and staying at Morritts for a week and will be using both Tortuga and Ocean Frontiers. Have used Tortuga in the past and were pleased with their operation and have had very good reports on OF. Used Red Sail on our cruise in April and dove a couple of spots off Seven Mile Beach. I understand that Tortuga Divers has fallen under the management of Red Sail since Hurricane Ivan since the docks at Morritts were destroyed. Plan on doing a review when we get back.

For Cozumel, all the operators mentioned so far have gotten very good reviews. We used Dive w/Martin and were very pleased. We arranged a private charter for 5 of us and it was under $400. We had a mixed group.....wife and S/L both have 100+ dives, myself 25 and two making first non class dives. Jose & Miguel made sure we were all comfortable and informed about our dives before leaving. They are also located right at the dock where RCI & Princess dock. We'll be cruising on Princess in Feb. and will use them again.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

One of the major reasons we cruise with Princess is their accomodations for Scuba diving. Top reasons we book through them vs. on our own:

1. They've done a pretty good job of checking out the operators. We dive at every stop diving is viable, and I just don't have the time to do that kind of research to validate/shop/confirm/reserve for each island.

2. I don't worry the whole time we're diving whether we'll get back to the ship on time (and believe me, there've been many close calls especially on shorter stops) and on a Princess-booked excursion the SHIP WILL WAIT, or at least make sure you get to the next stop!

3. The price differential between booking via Princess vs on your own: yeah, about $10-15 - oh, ouch ;-) Being met at the ship and not dealing with the phone calls, hassle in negotiating and coordinating more than off-sets that, in my opinion.

4. Meeting fellow divers on the ship: priceless :-) (Am still in contact with the folks we met on the dives vs. on the "SHIP")

We're booked on the 1/3/06 Panama cruise just so we can go back to GC, Coz, etc. If I want to stay in one place for a whole week or two, that's a different story!

mm

cshaw40:

You heard right; the ship's dives are more crowded and more expensive. I have also found them to be a little rushed, so your "bottom time" suffers. The operators rarely give the bigger "ship groups" a choice on dive locations. I stopped using ship's excursions a few years ago; wish I had done so sooner.

You'll save money on your own, especially in Cozumel. You can do your own 2-tank dive in Cozumel with a good operator for $65 (including all equipment) Ship's dives are around $95. So 2 of you can save $60......heck that almost buys a tank of gas! Try an operator like DiveWithMartin. You'll go out in a boat with 6-8 divers (not 20) And you're a 5-min cab ride from the ship. No worries, smaller crowd, better dive, less money......no brainer.

In Georgetown you can boat dive or do some great shore diving. Shore dives at Eden Rock are $35 (that rents equipment). You'lre in 40-50 ft so you'll almost get an hour of bottom time and the "grotto" is cool. If you want to boat dive the big walls, you'll save money there too.

These two dive shops are literally minutes from the pier, so there's no worry about getting back. It doesn't take much time to arrange these dives on-line; about the same as it takes to post in the CC forums!

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise and some fun, safe dives!

Cozumel- Dive Paradise and Dive House(this one was used by Princess on our last trip) We have used both of these operators on previous land based trips.

Cayman, since sometimes you don't know where you will be tendering to, or if you will make it in, I would do Princess dive excursions. Last time there our dive was cancelled and we were tendering into Spotts and the other dive was not cancelled and we were able to just give them our vouchers for the other dive and get on the other boat.(At least we were allowed to tender in. There were several other ships that had to leave altogether and one of them was a Princess ship.

Acutally if I am on your ship, you can be sure it will be rough seas and you will tender in to Spotts. That's on the south side of the island. Have done this each time we have been there.

• 2 weeks later...

Our cruise on Star Princess 11/13/05. I am going to take the names of the dive operators to our local dive shop. They are always planning trips and they may know some of them. We are so looking forward to it. This site has been extremely helpful because this is our first cruise and we want to make the most of it. Thanks Again!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I was a dedicated ships dive exersions user (particularly because of the time involved and getting back to the ship).

However I'm thinking more and more about Eden Rock. If you show up solo, will they pair you with someone?

Divin Dave

.... Eden Rock. If you show up solo, will they pair you with someone?
Dave, I don't know if the shop will pair you up, but you shouldn't have much difficulty finding someone to dive with if you hang around there a short time. Ideally, joining a group of 3 other divers would work great. I think even numbers in a buddy group work better.

I was a dedicated ships dive exersions user (particularly because of the time involved and getting back to the ship).

However I'm thinking more and more about Eden Rock. If you show up solo, will they pair you with someone?

Divin Dave

I always dive without a partner and so far most dives everyone stays together. They can pair you with someone or the Dive master. Most divers will pair with a solo.

NEVER DIVE with Cruise ship again. They limit your down time and charge twice what it is worth

Bob

Archived