Gifts for your Steward?

IBRelaxin2

I've heard that tips may be pooled, but what about gifts? If I leave my room steward some phone cards, little gifts, etc. can he keep these. It may seem silly to ask but you never know. Just curious.

Also what is the norm for tipping room service, thanks!

I would recommend cash, cash only is pooled if you remove the S&S tips... they have very small quarters and small gifts really do them no good, with cash, they can choose what THEY want... you really don't know if the phone cards would work for them, etc. They LOVE cash! :D

$1-$2 for room service seems average.

Not all our phone cards work in the various ports. THe crew can get phone cards for a lot cheaper then what we use.

Give them cash so they can buy their own phone card.

One of the things we do-- we get a disposable camera. and take pictures of our work crew all week-doing their job. the day before the last sea day we get them developed and give the pictures to the differnt people in a thank you card. They can then send them off to home for their family to see what it is they do.

i agree ''' cash ''' is what they like the best and is what i leave in a nice card. i always buy myself flowers for the cabin on my cruises. they always look just like new when the trip is over. i offer these to the steward so they are not just thrown away. my last cabin steward was so excited to have them for his girlfriend that was on the ship also. he was very grateful and knew she would like them even if they were from a passenger :) .

If you are giving your room steward an extra tip, about what is everyone giving. My regular tips are on my S&S card and I was thinking an extra $20.

Ideas?

Because we're going to be bringing a soft-sided cooler onboard and such, I'm going to follow the lead of others and tip a little money up front the first day to ask him to please:

(1) empty the minibar for us (since we're on the Conquest now, all the rooms have them)

(2) keep our cooler filled with ice

Then if everything goes as planned and good, I'll give some more at the end. Probably $20-$25 extra all together is what I had budgeted in.

On our July 05 cruise, we gave our DDs steward and extra $20. The one daughter brought enough clothes to change into a different outfit 4 times a day! She was the master of exploding suitcases!!

He had a difficult time 'cleaning' around her stuff.

The steward that my DH & I used, did not receive additional money. He did his job well, but nothing special. DH & I were very neat,m he could clean out room in a matter of minutes!

Because we're going to be bringing a soft-sided cooler onboard and such, I'm going to follow the lead of others and tip a little money up front the first day

Majority of the people do not tip the first day.

We always took a small cooler and used that instead of the ice bucket. ALways got ice twice a day. (if you need ice -call room service)

Did you know that when a refrigerator is emptied it is kept in the cabin?

The frigs do not keep things cold enough and your cooler will do a better job at that.

WE gave our room steward 20 dollars as soon as we met him as we really liked him, and he took extra care of our room and us. Then at the end of the cruise we gave him another 20. He seemed so pleased. Our waitstaff were each given 25 extra on the last night at dinner, and the maitra'd was given an extra 40 as he went way above the call of duty to make our trip special. WE kept our sign and sail card as it was suggested. I felt these people did such an excellent job, I just wish I could have given them each more. The service was worth every penny and more, but even if the service had been lax, these peoples smiles and attitudes were worth the extra money, just because they made you feel so good.

Sherrie Lynn

On our Fantasy cruise, the first morning (Monday) we left about 5.00 and a note thanking our steward for keeping our room so spiffy and a few small candy bars. He thanked us for the candy each time he saw us! So each morning we left him 3 or 4 candy bars (you know the hersheys minis) and a few dollars and nice note then the last evening before dinner we left him an envelope with $20.00 in it and another note thanking him for helping make our cruise wonderful. That night when we got back there was a giant heart made from towels on one of the beds and a note thanking us! I guess he was happy! So that is our plan for our next cruise too, only this time, I will be bringing Christmas cards with me. :rolleyes:

not knowing if you will have a male or female steward, it is hard to know what to get them as a gift before you get to the cabin. this next trip i am going to see who my steward is and pick up something small in one of the ports ( t-shirts are usually pretty cheap from the street vendors and dont take up much space in their small cabin allotment ) plus i will leave a nice money tip in a card.

We always give a small "Idaho" gift with a cash gratuity to our room steward)on the first day of our cruise. We also leave the tip on the S&S card.....service is always OUTSTANDING. The gift is very small, but something from someplace they will (most likely) never visit... an Idaho Spud Bar (a confection that has MORE sugar than one can imagine), a key chain and a small calendar are our usual gifts.

One of the things we do-- we get a disposable camera. and take pictures of our work crew all week-doing their job. the day before the last sea day we get them developed and give the pictures to the differnt people in a thank you card. They can then send them off to home for their family to see what it is they do.

What a lovely idea! I think I will steal this, if you don't mind! :)

I'd rather see stewards and wait staff get some stuff they can use instead of the teeshirts and dust collectors people think they are doing them a favor..

So the photos are a great idea. (and dont take up much room.

If you are giving your room steward an extra tip, about what is everyone giving. My regular tips are on my S&S card and I was thinking an extra $20.

Ideas?

My wife and I do that. For our room steward and for our wait staff. Usaly 20 for the room steward and same for the Head and helper in the dinning room. Depending if you are needing extra service like cakes ect.. then I will tip the Matridie(sp)..around 5 to 10 bucks. They used to provied envelops in cabins but we bring extras just to be sure. :)

what does it mean "pooling" the tips?

It means all the tips are added together and then split equally (or according to the percentage allowed to each position) between all teh employees.

There is a question as too how fair this is, since the employee who makes the extra effort gets the same as the employee who barely cleaned a room, but it also means that an employee didn't get assigned as many rooms or had people who stiffed him doesn't get gypped.

Archived