Salt Water and Long hair

tinsel57

I am embaressed to ask this question but I don't know where else to go to get the answer! I just snorkeled for the first time last year in Cozumel and loved it. Have scheduled several snorkeling excursions for this year and am GREATLY looking forward to it.

Last year we got off the boat and did some sightseeing and shopping and my hair, which is straight, long and blonde, was an absolute mess. Like straw, couldn't get a comb through it or anything. I looked like I was a scarecrow in tourist costume!

What can I bring with me to rinse my hair with so I can stop looking like a scarecrow after a dive.

If your hair is long enough, put it into a ponytail and braid it. Whatever you do, don't try to comb/brush it until you've had a shower! I put my hair into a ponytail (not long enough for a braid), then put a baseball cap over it after I dive if I'm not going to be able to shower right away. I also pull my hair off my face so I don't have to worry about it getting into my mask and causing leaks.

As a diver, I've tried many different things but the reality is that you can't really rinse all the salt out of your hair without using shampoo. Thus, pulling it back and putting on a hat has always been my best choice.

Lot's of good suggestions here.... this is what I do.....But have learned some more here....And where can you buy the Ultra Swim Shampoo/conditoner? I've heard of that once before....

What I do is this... I don't like washing my hair twice in one day.. It's permed and not good for it... So when I've washed it the day before and conditioned it, I use a thick conditioner and don't rinse it all out..... Then I braid it the next day before I dive.... It still has conditioner in it.... Then I moisten it before actually going in the ocean..... it makes less salt water get to my hair... But I always make sure if I'm on a boat I bring both a moisturizing shampoo/conditioner to use after the dive.. But if not on a boat where I can shower, when you rinse after being in the ocean, usually there is some conditioner still left in the hair and your hair is soft and combeable... I use 2 conditioners.....

I've also seen this used when I've been on dive boats. I bought one but haven't tried it yet - I hate when my mask strap gets caught on those little tiny hairs on the sides of the my face - ouch! This should help keep that hair controlled, plus just take off your mask and you're good to go. :) (If anyone's interested sometimes they have cute tropical ones on ebay. search for 'tropical do rag' or sometimes people spell it doo rag.)

7f_1_b.JPG

I have fairly long, thick, layered hair, so this is a topic I've got some serious input on...

Leave-in conditioner is very helpful, applied before putting your hair in a ponytail. I try to use something without alcohol, so it doesn't dry my hair out. My favorite so far is called UV Rescue by Redkin - it's formulated to help guard against sun & water damage. I used it during a week-long diving vacation last spring, and was very impressed. There's a version for brunettes and one for blondes (I'm a redhead, but the brunette formula was recommended to me & worked great).

I also have a couple scuba-do rags, similar to the photo that cruisin*tigger posted, and they work very well (plus my husband appreciates the fact that they make me easy to spot among a group). I've found that it helps to really tuck the sides under my mask straps - then it stays pretty secure (just make sure that the fabric is not under your mask & messing up the seal). Even when using a scuba-do rag, I still use the conditioner first.

Finally, because of my layers, I use a double ponytail - one high up on my crown, and then one at the nape of my neck (encompassing the end of the higher ponytail).

Yes, it's a pain - but if you knew what I look like with short hair, you'd understand why I put up with it...

Archived