Adult + Child = Dolphin Swims

RCmommy

I was literally about to book the dolphin swim in Chankanaab for my husband and two 11 year olds for the end of April.

On their website it states "* Kids must swim with a

paying adult as a companion. " I understand the need for this. The way I read it was my husband could accompany my two kids.

Nope, they want each child to have a paying adult. Seriously? For smaller children I can understand the need.........but in some cases this just seems like a cash grab to me.

What do they do for a family with three kids? Make Grandma pay to get in as well?

I have swam with dolphins before. I would rather save the money for other things.

We are going to be in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Is there a dolphin swim that does not have this rule?

I am going to call and see what they say. If I am able to book without having to pay the extra adult I will post and let you know.

I did ask via live chat with the Dolphinarius in Cozumel if two kids with one adult was allowed and he said yes. That is our second option.

We really hoped to do the swim at Chankanaab and then spend the rest of our day in that park.

Not sure that sounds right. I know many families with 3-4 kids who've gone there and swam with the dolphins with only 2 adults (Mom & Dad).

I am sure there are. You must have to call to book perhaps. All I know is when I put in how many, the time and the date, a flag came up that each child needed to be accompanied by an adult - therefore I could not proceed.

I am just finishing up work and then I will give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am following this as well. We are planning this excursion next March, we have the requisite adults to kid ratio but I see that you have to be three (one of the kids will be three the week after we sail) wonder if that is a no go? I would be willing to just observe and hold him on the dock, but he loves water and would not understand why his brothers are getting to swim.

I just booked the dolphin swim yesterday - we are two adults and three kids. I was unable to do it through their website -

I received that same error about having an adult for every kid - so I did an online chat with their agent and she booked it for me with no problem - she also gave me the 30% off special. I received a confirmation emIl immediately.

We are back. DH and our two kids did the sea lion swim on Thursday in Cozumel. It was rainy and windy so I am glad the sea lions were in the pool because the dolphins and manatees in the ocean water looked choppy.

All three liked the sea lions. There was no way on earth I could manage to sneak in a few photos with my own camera. They warned me walking in and I agreed. No sooner did I sit down a staff member came over to 'chat' and I didn't even have my camera out! When he had to leave, another came and stood nearby. Don't bank on snapping a few pics of your own.

With that being said, the price of the photos is absolutely ridiculous. For the CD with all the photos (99 of them, some with just the sea lion and the trainer) was $280 USD. If I wanted one pic of the kids it was $40 USD each. I literally laughed and said to my kids "well kiddos you have the memories" We walked around the gift shop and the lady came up and gave me the "shhh, don't tell anyone, if you want the cd with just the kids I can do it 30 each pic of 160 for the CD but only the pics with the kids, not hubby. I had zero intention of paying that money. I said we will pass. A few minutes later she approached again with a lower price. I replied that we were going to pass.

At this point, I figured as soon as we walked out the glass doors she would follow us out with a new price. She didn't however, which was fine. I knew the prices were high before going and the chances were good we would leave without any. We walked from the gift shop towards the front of the park. Had the man call us a taxi. I turned to pick up my bag and there the picture lady stood right behind me. She chased us down. lol

She says "I am not suppose to do this, but XXXXX" Her offer was $80 for the CD with all photos. I said "no thank you" but DH pops in with "I will give you $60, final offer" She jumped at it and they both ran off to pay while the taxi made the way over.

So, don't pay the first price unless you want to. I figured those in the dolphin groups would all pitch in and pay one price for the CD and share the photos but they charge per person. The sign said 1100 pesos per person which is about $70-80 USD.