GEM Family Oceanview?

dongordon

My daughter's family is joining us on our upcoming January 2016 GEM cruise.

They are going to be taking a Family Oceanview.

With two boys (ages 8 and 6), will they be able to fit comfortably in this cabin?

Does any one have any photos of the Family Oceanview and what the sleeping arrangements would look like.

The last time I was in an Oceanview, there were bunk beds above the regular beds. Does that still hold true?

Also, where would I find photos of the children's area?

This will be my first cruise with my grandsons....should be great and interesting!! :)

Thanks.

Don

Haven not been on the Gem yet (will be in may 2015), but was on the NCL Dawn with my husband and two sons about 6 years ago and I would never do a oceanview with four people again. They have the two twins on the floor and the bunk that comes down from one side and then they put a bed in the middle of the 2 lower twins. So you end up with one big bed and three people in it. If I had know that when booking, I would have changed my mind. After that we have been cruising with carnival for 4 years because the rooms & bathrooms are much bigger. We are cruising the Gem soon but in two oceanview cabins. Hope this helps!

An oceanview (as the PP described) is completely different than a family oceanview. The family oceanview is the same size as a balcony cabin, without the balcony, so actually more space within the room. It has a queen/king bed, a pull down bed from the ceiling (not above the queen/king), and a couch used as a bed. There is also a bathtub/shower combo instead of just a shower.

Disclaimer: I am going by what I have extensively read and have not been on the Gem. So if I am giving incorrect information, I hope someone will correct me.

I'm sure they will love the cabin! Enjoy your cruise with your family!

You'll find all the ocean view cabin on the GEM, including the family ocean view cabins, have the same set up and are the same size.

They have the pullman/bunk bed and the pop up bed that comes out from under one of the twin beds and is set up in the middle of those. There are no sofas in any of the ocean view cabins on the GEM.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/staterooms/Oceanview

Family Oceanview Picture Window

You can comfortably fit up to four guests in these staterooms, making them perfect for families. You'll enjoy an amazing view from the big picture window. Two lower beds convert into a queen-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to two more guests. Of course, you'll have room service and many other amenities.

Oceanview, Bedding for four

There's a link to an ocean view cabin on the Pearl (GEM's sister ship) set up for 4 guests.

Edited by Got Tequila?

I'm sorry for giving misinformation, and thank you, got tequila? for correcting me. I am going on the Escape and went by what I had read about the Breakaway class. It's a good reminder to me that even cabins given the same category name are not all created equal!

I find it interesting, though, that in the description listed it says a queen bed AND additional bedding for two more. It should probably say OR because you can't exactly sleep in a queen bed when a pull out bed is in the middle! Oh, well.

I'm sure they will have a wonderful time!

You can comfortably fit up to four guests in these staterooms, making them perfect for families. You'll enjoy an amazing view from the big picture window. Two lower beds convert into a queen-size bed and additional bedding to accommodate up to two more guests. Of course, you'll have room service and many other amenities.

There's a link to an ocean view cabin on the Pearl (GEM's sister ship) set up for 4 guests.

You'll find all the ocean view cabin on the GEM, including the family ocean view cabins, have the same set up and are the same size.

They have the pullman/bunk bed and the pop up bed that comes out from under one of the twin beds and is set up in the middle of those. There are no sofas in any of the ocean view cabins on the GEM.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/staterooms/Oceanview

Family Oceanview Picture Window

Hi Margaret...

Thank you for this information.

Is it possible to request a cabin with two pullman beds instead of the trundle that slips under the bed? I am looking at a Family Oceanview cabin on Deck 5 for them to keep the price down. Is there anyway to tell which cabins have that sleeping arrangement on the deck plans?

Say "Hello" to Steve and the rest of the NUTZ crew! :)

Don

I'm sorry for giving misinformation, and thank you, got tequila? for correcting me. I am going on the Escape and went by what I had read about the Breakaway class. It's a good reminder to me that even cabins given the same category name are not all created equal!

I find it interesting, though, that in the description listed it says a queen bed AND additional bedding for two more. It should probably say OR because you can't exactly sleep in a queen bed when a pull out bed is in the middle! Oh, well.

I'm sure they will have a wonderful time!

Escape is still a bit of a mystery until she comes out, but I assume those family ocean view cabins will be like the Breakaway and Getaway.

They can put the 2 lower beds together and make them up as a queen bed, and have the trundle on the far side. It's a bit more work for the cabin steward but I have seen them do that. All ocean view cabins on the GEM are listed as 2 lower beds that can make a queen. They really do a good job when they make those up, and it is hard to tell it's 2 beds most of the time.

Hi Margaret...

Thank you for this information.

Is it possible to request a cabin with two pullman beds instead of the trundle that slips under the bed? I am looking at a Family Oceanview cabin on Deck 5 for them to keep the price down. Is there anyway to tell which cabins have that sleeping arrangement on the deck plans?

Say "Hello" to Steve and the rest of the NUTZ crew! :)

Don

Hi Don,

On the GEM the ocean view cabins that sleep 3 have just the pullman/bunk, and the ones that sleep 4 have the pop-up bed and bunk. I haven't seen any of them on the GEM with 2 of the pull down/bunks.

Steve say's "Hi"....:)