Personal Computers on Mercury?

hugosmom

If we take our laptop, can we use it in the Internet Cafe or do we have to use the ones in the cafe? If we can use our own, is the service wireless or ethernet?

The reason I'm asking is that my husband, who is blind, uses screen reader software to access the computer. So using computers provided by the ship won't work for him - he needs the speech software that's on his personal computer.

I looked on Celebrity's website and couldn't find the answer there. Thanks in advance for any information.

Not sure about Mercury, but we took our wireless laptop on Constellation and had no problem. We registered it with the internet cafe to set up an account and could use it for the entire cruise. We bought a package of min. and could use it in several locations around the ship. I'm assuming that Mercury is similarly set up by now, but on our last Mercury cruise we didn't take it with, so didn't ask. Hope this helps some.

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilynn - according to Celebrity's website, Millennium, Summit, Infinity, and Constellation have the capability you describe. Mercury isn't listed on their website. We asked the folks at the Access desk, when we were asking about Braille and about arrangements for the dog guide, but the person we spoke with didn't have answers about computer use.

Anybody know specifically about Mercury? Thanks!

I can't speak from experience, but I had a similiar question about bringing my laptop on a cruise in November aboard the Mercury. I spoke to the people at the captains club desk and researched this on Celebrity's website. From what I understand, Yes you can use your own laptop. They now have wireless capibilities in several public areas of the ship. The cost is still a bit high, but at least your husband should have no problem using his personal laptop.

Rob

If we take our laptop, can we use it in the Internet Cafe or do we have to use the ones in the cafe? If we can use our own, is the service wireless or ethernet?

The reason I'm asking is that my husband, who is blind, uses screen reader software to access the computer. So using computers provided by the ship won't work for him - he needs the speech software that's on his personal computer.

I looked on Celebrity's website and couldn't find the answer there. Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi Hugosmom !

Yes, you should be able to use your laptop. Perhaps you can find the information you need at Celebrity's internet provider's website (Highseas Computer Services). The website is at: http://www.celebrityatsea.com. I do think you will be able to get the information you need at this website.

Also, please be aware that Celebrity has a dept. that handles issues for passengers who have special needs. You can reach them at 305-539-4492 or you can email them at specialneeds@celebrity.com. I am sure they can be of assistance to you.

I hope I was of some assistance. I am confident you will enjoy Mercury. I have been on her several times. I wish you and your husband a wonderful time on your Cruise.

Thanks to all for the info - my husband will try calling the Access desk again and maybe ask his questions in a different way. If he can use his own computer, with the speech software, in the Internet Cafe, that will be fine. We don't need to be spending too much time on the computer while on vacation!

Thanks again for the help - we are hearing all sorts of good things about this ship. It's only our second cruise (Carnival in 2002 was the first one) and we've been very impressed by the customer service we've encountered so far. Lots more attention paid to special needs passengers, it seems, with Celebrity.

I highly reccomend that you get in touch with Celebrity's special needs department. They will go to great lengths to do thier best to accomodate you. Letting them know in advance makes a difference. I think you will be very happy with the service.

There IS wireless access on Celebrity's Mercury. It shows up as Michael's Club WiFi (or something with Michael's Club in it). There is a charge for it, though :( .

The Mercury's WiFi is not advertised, but trust me, it is available from Cova and of course Michael's Club.

-Chris

We haven't yet received a reply to the e-mail we sent to the Special Needs department, so Clarence phoned them again this morning. He was transferred to another Celebrity department, since Special Needs couldn't answer questions about Internet access. He was told that he cannot bring his own laptop to use in the Internet Cafe. He was also told that the Mercury doesn't have wireless service - he specifically asked about Cova and Michaels Club. Too bad we can't call the ship directly to ask - since several of you know that there *is* access!

So what he's going to do is take his laptop anyway and show it to the folks in the IT department - maybe they'll make an exception for him because of his need to use his own and not theirs. He's also going to offer to install a copy of the screen-reader (Window-Eyes) on one of their laptops to show them how it runs. That way other blind cruisers could take advantage of the Internet Cafe. Who knows, maybe he can sell one copy to each ship - wouldn't it be fun to have to take trips to install and train folks in how to use it?

Thanks again for all the responses - when we get back at the end of the month I'll let y'all know what happened.

Hi,

It really upsets me that Celebrity can have such hot and cold phone service. I have called them in the past and gotten quick, accurate info. Other times they are clueless. Again I can't speak from experience, but I really believe there is wireless laptop access aboard the Mercury. This subject is not new to these threads, It was a common thread not to long ago, and it was the general conclussion back then the ship had wireless.

So here's my suggestion, there are two Roll Call Threads currectly active for the Mercury. One leaves on 9/16 and the other on 9/24. Why don't you pop into those threads and ask someone there to actually confirm the wireless while they are on board. That way you'll know for sure. In any case I think you are doing the right thing by bringing your laptop with you.

Let me know what you find out, I'll be aboard the Mercury 10/31/05 and I'd also like to take my laptop.

Rob

Thanks, Rob - that's a good idea. I'll ask the folks in the roll call groups. We're on the 9/24 ship.

I agree about the phone service - we've had two wonderfully helpful and accurate experiences, and two not so much.

Appreciate the suggestion. I'll for sure let you know what we find out before you leave in October.

Archived