Dream 2535 - backs to elevators - noise?

metairiegal

Oh no! We were GTY, cat 11C, and were just assigned Dream cabin 2535. It is a handicapped sideways cabin, which is fine. But - it back to (shares a wall) with elevators! Has anyone been in this cabin - how bad is the noise from the elevators?!

Don't know why I am asking - I know it's got to be very noisy! Will we be able to stand it for 3 nights?

We always have bad luck with room assignments! At least it is not a connecting room (I didn't want that) but now we've got something even worse!

Should I call to beg for something else?

Why so negative?

Here is a member review for that cabin, that ship.

Cabin review: Disney Dream 2535

Deck Plans

This was a handicap room. Although neither one of us was handicap. It was very large we had plenty of room the bathroom was huge. I loved the magic portal. We booked a year in advance and felt very fortunate to get such a large room for the category C price. Our room was bigger then most of the higher priced rooms.

OK, they didn't say anything about noise, but if it were a problem, I think they would have mentioned it. I haven't been in this room, but I've been in rooms next to elevators with NO problem at all. I've had A LOT more noise from noisy neighbors than ever from an elevator. Do you think the DCL doesn't know how to do sound proofing around the elevators?

My suggestion--get on the ship and try it for one night. If it is a problem, go to GS and see what they can do for you. Since you didn't book a IGT, you should see more sympathy from them. But don't go into it expecting a problem.

What you WILL have (likely...we have a family member who needs the HA cabins, so have been in several)...an 11C has a single bathroom anyhow. All HA that I've seen are single bath (not split). But you probably will have a walk in shower only, not a tub. It will be a big room with space to roll a wheelchair around. BUT most do not have a top drawer in the center of the desk. This allows the wheelchair to be used as a desk chair, which the drawer space could prevent. You will find extra grab bars in the bathroom and an emergency call button by the bed. EACH HA cabin has a slightly different layout, but it will be significantly larger than a regular cabin. If the loss of a tub is a problem for you, call them now. If not....just try it. And don't decide in advance that it is a miserable room.

I just called - no other rooms available.

I've been in a handicapped room on DCL - not needed but assigned to it. I know about the roll in shower. Don't really like it - but it is fine. I am interested to see what a sideways/handicapped cabin is like.

What I am concerned about is backing to - no, make that sharing - a wall with elevators. I'm thinking there is noise from elevator cables. No?

The good things about the cabin is that we like deck 2. We've been on it before and it is very convenient. And, it is not a connecting cabin.

And, I found this from another website:

"Inside cabins 2007, 2507, 2035, and 2535 are more spacious than average and are wheelchair accessible. All of these staterooms are right next to elevators, and while this could present a noise issue it might be quite handy for travelers using walkers or wheelchairs."

And, I found this from another website:

"Inside cabins 2007, 2507, 2035, and 2535 are more spacious than average and are wheelchair accessible. All of these staterooms are right next to elevators, and while this could present a noise issue it might be quite handy for travelers using walkers or wheelchairs."

The problem is that this report is just commenting on the general layout. It is not a room review from someone who has stayed in those rooms. The report I quoted is an actual room report from someone who stayed in the room. I realize that they didn't comment on the noise issue; I would assume that the fact that they didn't comment means that it was not a problem.

DCL always saves a few cabins for instances where there is an "unfixable" issue with a cabin a guest is in. While these may not be in every category, they are in each "type" except concierge level. They will only be released by GS on the ship. How do I know this? I was in a cat 9 on the Magic and had a couch that wouldn't flip back from the bed to the couch configuration. I had an engineer in my cabin for 3 hours one afternoon "fixing" it, and it magically had the same problem the next day. The ship was technically full and the "Captain Mickey says" notice was out. I went to GS and pointed out that having a workman in my cabin for 2 full afternoons was unacceptable and I'd like a new couch moved in. I was told that this was impossible as there were no replacements on board BUT they would happily move me to a new cabin right down the hall from where I was. That's what we did. HMMMMM....full ship, new cabin. Interesting. Since that cruise, we had one similar issue--in the second case I flat out demanded a new cabin because it was a 12+12 B2B cruise and I wasn't going to deal with the problem for the second half--they's had 11 days to fix it at that point and hadn't resolved the issue! Again, they not only moved me that time, they gave me an upgrade! And again, it was supposedly a full ship.

My point--if it is a problem on the first night, talk to GS the next morning. Worst case, there's nothing they will do. Best case, no problem to begin with...and in the middle might be a new cabin if this one is a problem.

Edited by moki'smommy

• 2 months later...

OP here. Just got back today from our cruise and wanted to come back to post about this cabin. Again, this cabin backs to the elevators - not just close to elevators - but actually shares a wall with them. It is just dh and myself. It was just as I thought - you could always hear the grinding, whining, clunking, crashing, knocking noises coming from the elevators. We were GTY and assigned to this cabin but if I had a choice I would stay away from it.

It was also a handicapped room and since one of the nice things about DCL is the bathtubs, I really missed not having one. The shower drainage was slow so you would be standing in water and then the drains all around the shower couldn't keep up so the bathroom floor always got soaked.

Of course, just my opinion and thoughts.

Wow. I'm quite surprised. I'm not disputing your evaluation as I've never been in an HA on the Dream.

On the Magic and Wonder, the HA showers easily handle the water and the bathroom floor doesn't get wet. Since we now have a family member who needs the HA, we're getting quite familiar with them. You are right that the HA cabins do lack several features of a regular cabin, among them the split bath and the tub. I wouldn't choose an HA if we didn't need it for that reason.

Our last Fantasy cruise was a couple years ago--before we needed the HA, so can't really comment on those.

We stayed in 2033, and 2535 (twice) on the Fantasy and Dream. It wasn't the elevator that bothered us, but it was the noise from the crew space next to our walls.. It was banging, and doors slamming and just noisy all night long. . I told our host

and he reported our complaint and for 2 days the slamming was minimal, but on the

last night it was loud and on the last night as we were going faster, there was creaking and other noises. 2033 was worse than 2535. Since we still need an accessible cabin, we are going to try 9A 6500 on the Wonder and 6014 8A on the Fantasy for our next 2 cruises.

DH loved the convenience of being on deck 2, but I didn't like the cabin noise.

We were assigned to 6500 on the Magic--no problems. No noise issues or otherwise.

Thanks. We are doing the WB Panama Canal in October from San Diego. I'm going

to rent an ECV for DH for the duration of the cruise. I know he is going to tire out walking

back and forth to the dining rooms in the aft since our cabin 6500 is way forward.

He might not even want the ECV but I can't take the chance of him being miserable

on a 14 night cruise. Looking forward to the 9A since we had the cat 11 on our last 3 trips.

All the HA rooms on the Magic/Wonder are either far forward or far aft. Forward is convenient for the adult areas, aft is good for dining. Frankly, we like them (some more than others...) Panama Canal cruise is one of the best--enjoy! ECV is a good idea--pushing wheelchair on carpet is no fun at all.

We were assigned to 6500 on the Magic--no problems. No noise issues or otherwise.

The Magic's 6500 does not back to/share a wall with elevators. That was the issue with 2535 on the Dream. (Although deck 2 was convenient.)

Edited by metairiegal

The Magic's 6500 does not back to/share a wall with elevators. That was the issue with 2535 on the Dream. (Although deck 2 was convenient.)

You were also dissatisfied with the shower in your room. My point was that the shower of 6500 Magic was fine. No soaked floors for us.