Pride of America Review for 08/27/05 Sailing

SBChamps96

So what you're saying is that the schedules for two full days on Kauai had first shrunk to a day and a half, and now there is no second day on Kauai at all?! I knew there was some disagreement as to whether departure from Kauai was at 2:00 PM or 3:30Pm, but this is the first I've heard that they have now completely eliminated the second day entirely.

I called Customer Relations again. The helpful person from the day before gave me the wrong week's itinerary, as you expected. So, the only change thus far is the departure from Kauai on the 23rd at 2:00 pm not 3:00 pm. Therefore, there are not any major changes at this point. What a relief!

I called Customer Relations again. The helpful person from the day before gave me the wrong week's itinerary, as you expected. So, the only change thus far is the departure from Kauai on the 23rd at 2:00 pm not 3:00 pm. Therefore, there are not any major changes at this point. What a relief!

Have a great trip! Please post a review when you get back. I'm really curious how your little one will enjoy your vacation. We're travelling with our three children (12, 9, and 3). This is their fourth cruise, and second time in Hawaii(we did a land vacation when our youngest was 15 months old). They absolutely loved Hawaii when they were there and had a great time!

Happy sailing!

I hope everyone will continue to post their POAM cruising experiences candidly. We can winnow through the redundant comments and make our decisions. This is a great board! I like to hear about things that turned out good as well the bad things.

I have always enjoyed vacations, but would never reduce my expections whereby mediocracy would some way produce a good time. At $900 a day plus (my cost) this cruise is not inexpensive; cheap maybe, but not inexpensive.

The name of this board is "cruisecritic," not "Cruise Thumbs Up", "Cruise Good News", " Cruise Looking Through Rose Colored Lens", or "Cruise Elephant in the Living Room." --- so please be critical....but just take it easy on me.

We can winnow through the redundant comments and make our decisions. This is a great board! I like to hear about things that turned out good as well the bad things.

At $900 a day plus (my cost) this cruise is not inexpensive; cheap maybe, but not inexpensive.

The name of this board is "cruisecritic," not "Cruise Thumbs Up", "Cruise Good News", " Cruise Looking Through Rose Colored Lens", or "Cruise Elephant in the Living Room." --- so please be critical....but just take it easy on me.

so far I have learned:

Book excursions online and get written (email) confirmation

Go straight to the dinner reservation desk as early on sunday morning as possible and book for entire week

Book for Saturday dinner as soon as you enter ship

Eat dinner early (pre-6:00) if you want a quick meal. Otherwise, plan for a 2 1/2 hour sit down meal.

Servings are small, menu is limited.

Don't book Enterprise for car rental.

Be careful of booking non-NCL excursions on 2nd day layovers - itinerary changes.

The buffet is actually pretty good.

Chocolate buffet is in the afternoon

Have a nice talk with your steward on day 1 and explain that their tip is dependent upon their service.

If you do not like cigar smoke, stay away from the cigar bar

Some people are just bitter.:eek:

Can anyone add to this list?:confused:

I am just being naughty on the board:p

That list is a compilation of the constructive reviews (good and bad) that I have read re: POAm. That is the mental list that I will take aboard the shp on 10/01 and hope for the best. I have a few more that I plan to use.

Tip the steward before and during cruise rather than after so that you reap any benefit of your extra tip.

Same for waiters if possible.

Find where the most senior ship personnel hide out during the day.

Plan to eat a few (2-3) nice "local" lunches ($20 each) on the islands so that dinner is not such a major event and more of an afterthought.

Tidy up behind myself just a bit each morning -- not that hard to do -- only me in the stateroom.

Drink plenty of alcohol.

Now secret, who is misleading. Hotels and condo might be higher, but food and air don't change.

Again shop around

Oh, you are responding to another thread that I posted on. I am sorry. Now I understand.

Yes, for a couple or a family of 3 or 4, Hawaii can easily be $1,000 per day. Remember when you fly to another Island, unless you booked your flight back home from that particular island, you have to fly back. So is it $185 one way or round trip??? Multiply that by 2 people and the flight to another island is $350, just to get to the other island. Hotels in Oahu are expensive. Only a few older, very modest hotels blocks from the beach go for less than $150 per night pre-tax. Maui is a little cheaper but not by much. Dinner at a "cheese cake factory" type restaurant is $30 at least-- 4 star restaurant with table linen and wine service would be twice that.

Most hotels in Hawaii do not have extensive "entertainment" for free. A few may have a bit of light entertainment (a band by the pool or beach) but nothing much. The clubs and showrooms in the better hotels ($300 per night or more) are not free. Perhaps a higher end vacation package may come with a couple of comp tickets but for the masses, the good shows are additional $$. Excursions are very expensive in Hawaii.

Hear me, I am not saying expect less but NCL is obviously not offering luxurious service aboard their American ships. They are offering a rolling hotel, perhaps 3 1/2 stars at best. There is no sense is demanding Ritz Carleton service from a Holiday Inn. It ain't gonna happen. When I want to get on a ship and be pampered, I now know NCL is not it. I highly recommend RCL or Princess for that.

Happy now?

Secretme.....a few more suggestions....

Go to the early show....have some cocktails and then to a late dinner....we did that.....never had to wait or miss a show....never felt rushed then

Do not use the 5th floor atrium ladies room!!! Thats where the sewage problem is...1 floor up to the Champagne bar....always clean and working

Bring a coverup for those sundresses...it is freezing in public areas

If you rent a car on Maui....do not drive the road their map states "Do not take rental cars between these arrows" if u are afraid of extremely narrow roads or heights....

Make sure you at least have one Blue Hawaiian drink...bartender at the aft bar makes great ones!!

Most of all...have the time of your lives!!!!!

NJ Deb, Thanks to you too I think this is just what this board is for. How to have a good time despite the problems!!! I really appreciate the experienced cruisers taking the time to help out everyone who is trying to have a good time on the POAM.

Thanks to NJDeb for more suggestions on my ever growing list. The goal is to enjoy the cruise/vacation "in spite of. . . " There is no point in beating a half dead horse.

Anybody have any more great suggestions on how to survive POAm?????

I always tend to go to the show and eat very late on cruises. (Best idea yet) I eat a late breakfast, maybe a later lunch and then dinner for me is fine at 9 or 10 p.m. I am determined to do the night life on the ship (Hey, I paid for it), so my day doesn't usually end until 1 or 2. I am one of those people who survive on 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and a nap during the day. My goal is to get off of the ship exhausted -- not well rested. I can rest at home for free.

Survival suggestions anyone:p

Don't miss the juggler show - he's really good, and really funny.

Also, if you're a big lobster fan, the night that they serve lobster tails in the dining rooms (Thursday, I believe), they also serve big lobster claws at the buffet. We had heard that they ran out of tails for people who went to dinner late. Just have a good time - it's a vacation!

Don't wear your expensive new bathing suit in hot tub.

It will be a new color when you get out.

Tom

Thanks for the info. I had heard that before but had forgotten about it. I am taking a older one that I am willing to wreck. I may just stay out of the hot tub.

Add this suggestion to the list.

Keep them coming y'all!!!:p

• 2 weeks later...

Archived