Pride of America - 8/27/05 - Review

Lightbulb03

This was our first cruise on NCL and our first since 1999. That cruise in 1999 was a Disney cruise which had impecable service, but that's how Disney does everything.

Embarkation: It went more smoothly than I thought it would considering the line of people outside the terminal building at 12 noon. Everybody had to go through the same security procedure to get inside the building, whether you were a Marriott check-in, suite passenger or a regular cabin guest. After a lei greeting and picture taking in front of a green screen, we moved on to the suite check-in line and this went quickly and smoothly. Al, the concierge met us before we went up the escalator and he introduced himself to us. We decided to have lunch at the Aloha Cafe and then toured the boat or checked out the view of Honolulu from the bow.

Cabin: We booked 10020, a penthouse suite, starboard. Needless to say, the size impressed even my husband. I liked it because wall to wall there was much more width than a regular cabin so we didn't feel so squished. The balcony was also huge. There's a walk in closet that offers an area of privacy for dressing. The bathroom is bigger than we thought it would be. All in all, a very good choice for us. We had a complimentary bottle of champagne, fruit bowl and chocolate dipped strawberries (these were brought by Joshua the butler). We also had a cheese, fruit plate later in the week and some additional chocolates.

Cabin Service: I spent some time trying to figure out who (butler or concierge) to call for what and we were given a letter that explained this that I had to keep referring to. Bottom line - we talked to the concierge far more than the butler. Al responded very quickly if I had to leave a message. Most times he answered his phone. We saw the cabin attendant a few times and she responded quickly to requests for different pillows (polyfill). No towel animals but I'm not cruising for the towel animals.

Reception: All the times that I talked to reception my requests were handled quickly and efficiently. My son demagnetized his card. I went down at 11pm and a new card was issued. The last night we smelled an overpoweringly bad cigarette smell which I reported and the problem was fixed within minutes. I called to make a last minute shore excursion reservation at 6:45am on debarkation day. I had the tickets slipped under my door by 7am.

Specialty Restaurants: We had an excellent meal at Lazy J. When I asked for shrimp cocktail and crabcakes with my steak, they arrived promptly. When I asked for more sauce for my crabcakes, it arrived in the time it took the server to walk into the kitchen and back out. The steak was done to my specifications as was my husbands.

Teppenyaki was entertaining and tasty (garlic rice was insanely delicious). Chocolate Buffet was incredible (gasterously upsetting). We weren't hungry for dinner, so I called Al to change our reservations at Little Italy and, boom, it was done. I wish I had known about the kids' menu option. This was not offered to us. The kids ate, but it would've made more sense to give them something off the kids' menu.

Main restaurants:

Aloha Cafe, our favorite for breakfast, was almost always crowded but moving with a good supply of food. The choices overwhelmed my poor DD until we realized that the offerings were the same on both sides of the restaurant. The quality of the eggs, however, steadily headed downhill as the week progressed. I think the first few days they were real and the rest of the week they were powdered. I switched to oatmeal and bacon (always great) and sausage (spicy some days but tasty).

Skyline Restaurant: Chocolate Buffet only: this was incredible, as mentioned above and I saw hard-working people, young and old. They had to quickly dismantle and set up for dinner. These kids were moving. Oh, and I had THE best glass of cold milk I've had in my entire life. It was ICE cold. wow!

Liberty Restaurant: I made reservations both nights and had great experiences both times. Servers were fun and intelligent, caring and accommodating. As for the food, I'm not saying I'm easy to please (remember the eggs), but any chef that can prepare asparagus (crisp and tender and warm) and lobster tails en masse (this can be tricky especially for me) and cook a steak to order to my specifications, needs to be commended. Excellent job!!!!! Remember these guys are cooking for hundreds of guests.

Pool and Sun Decks: The kids loved the pool and we loved the service on the sun deck. We were well watered. The Key West "buffet" consisted of hamburgers, hot dogs, and fried finger food. Sometimes there was fruit. It was ok in a pinch. I preferred the Aloha of course for the selection. We often played Big Chess after dinner. Ping Pong was almost always busy.

Public areas: Shuffles was a fun place to play games as well. One night however there was an unusual smell that sent us back to our cabin. Shops were uncrowded, photo gallery was crowded on the last nights making it difficult to navigate to the main restaurants, but when it came time to purchase we had no problems and were handled quickly.

Shore Excursions: We booked through the ship because this was our first time doing a long cruise and our first time in Hawaii. I didn't like the time limits at each stop especially with an 8-year old who needs to make a pit stop every chance she gets. However, I felt it was the best way to learn and see since we'd rather look at the sights then navigate the unfamiliar roads.

Volcanoes National Park - I'd go here again in a heartbeat, but I could have done without the extra stops (rainbow falls, nani mau gardens, waste of time). Mauna Loa Mac Nut Factory was great. You must buy more of the chocolate dipped shortbread if you go and mail me some (12 boxes). It's the BEST and the one box I brought home is almost gone.

Maui - rented a car and almost got a divorce fighting over navigation (turn here dear, why didn't you turn here like I told you), but it allowed us to explore at our convenience. And we booked the Old Lahaina Luau which was FANTASTIC. The food, the scenery, the show, the Mai Tai and Lei greeting, open bar, dessert plate (brownies to die for and that I AM picky about), the service; all was worth the price. Skip the Sugar Cane Train, expensive and not as scenic as we thought. Find a nice beach (there are plenty) and nap in the shade of a palm tree (which we did). And the shopping, it made my eyes bulge. But we had to pay for parking, and that was a surprise.

Historic Kona - This was a good tour, but I heard about another that was found pierside by another passenger that was ten times better and more intimate and went to the same places. My favorite place besides the canyon on Kauai, The Place of Refuge. This was incredibly beautiful and I couldn't take enough pictures of it. I kept thinking about February in New Jersey when there will be feet of snow on the ground and won't it be nice to look at pictures of this place. The men in the family loved the Kona coffee and we almost missed the tour bus because they needed to buybuybuy.

Waimea Canyon, Wailua River, Fern Grotto - This was an excellent tour because someone else did the driving while we drank up the scenery. The tour went to the canyon first. The drive is tricky up to the lookout. Downside is the limited time allowed and the fact that we only went to one lookout. Again, could have done without the river cruise and fern grotto, but the driver was very funny and we learned a lot about the Hawaiian people of Niihau (the forbidden island). The Fern Grotto was stunningly unique and beautiful. If you go, please respect the men who sing the wedding song and be QUIET! Don't talk while they are playing the song, please. Added bonus; spouting horn.

Scenic Hanalei - We should have gone to the beach. There was a shuttle at the pier that we saw the first day that would have taken us to Poipu.

Pearl harbor, missouri, honolulu city tour - This was worth it only because, again, we were not willing to deal with city traffic and unfamiliar roads (more divorce potential, i'm just kidding). It was a hot day and I wouldn't have missed the Arizona Memorial for the world but it would've been nice to spend the last day relaxing by a pool. A day room would've been better. As it was, we were at the airport, bags checked, by 4PM for a 9:30 flight. We ate, shopped and relaxed in the garden atrium. It wasn't bad.

We did not attend any shows so I can't comment on them other than the rest of the ship was empty when they were happening.

Best money spent: on the cabin, hands down, clear winner. Especially the balcony part. This was the best place to spend time watching the islands slip by in the morning.

Worst money spent: on the Adult soda card and kids crew backpack.

Scariest moment: tendering in Kona, because it is what it is, a dangerous endeavor all the way around. Especially when passengers don't listen to instructions and move when they aren't supposed to. We were told to sit until we were secure and then to move one row at a time. Did anyone listen? Yeah, we did while the rest of the passengers jumped out of their seats. You know what happens to a keelless boat when you do that? It starts to tilt from side to side. This is dangerous for the crew if they don't see it coming. That's why they ask for row by row. This maintains the stability so important for this process. Otherwise the crew is in danger of being thrown overboard and potentially being caught and crushed between the pier and the hull of the tender.

All in all, it was an incredible experience and a fascinating way to see the islands if you want to get a sampling of each. The fact that each one had a different personality and each one was unique in its terrain I found intriquing.

We had an unforgettable time. We will be forever changed and moved by the islands and people of hawaii.

Fantastic review! You make me want to go back to Hawaii, problem is you make me want to go in a penthouse suite:)

Let's see, if I start saving now, by the time I get there, I'll probably be to old to walk:( . Anyway, if I can't go myself it was nice to enjoy the experience through your eyes. And there are always lottery tickets:D

Thank you for the review! It's so nice to hear that things may be improving on the ship. We've been so worried since we are booked for May 06 after seeing all the negative reviews. Hopefully that means things are looking up! Thanks again!

Great review, I am glad you had such a wonderful time. It is a shame that the service on POAM is so uneven. Some people love it and some people have dirty cabins and crummy service. It can't just be the attitude of the cruisers. I hope in December my extended family all get cabin stewards who do their jobs and if we have to ask for higher standards then we will but with a smile and aim to enjoy our time in Hawaii as much as you did!!

I forgot to include a few odds and ends. Here they are.

Cabin: The bed was very comfortable after a day of sightseeing. And the cruising at night rocked me to sleep. Like being in one of those vibrating baby seats. I actually missed it the two nights we stayed in port. I remember trying to unpack while we were at sea the first night and I was having a very hard time staying awake.

Little Italy: The service was wonderful. My DD had pizza and actually ate it. My DS had fettucine alfredo and thought it was great. I ordered a beef dish which was delicious, but my husband ordered pasta with meatballs. I'm very picky about my red gravy (that's what we call it. some call it spaghetti sauce.) Since I make a fantastic red gravy, I didn't want to be adventurous on a cruise. He was and he was sorry. He didn't eat the meatballs. He said they tasted like boiled ground beef balls. However, in the Liberty, my DD had spaghetti with meat sauce and she loved it. I tasted it and it certainly was different; like there was cinnamon or nutmeg in it, which I've used in my Italian cooking, but not that much.

Debarkation (is that the right word): If you have an NCL shore excursion planned, you'll get colored tags with the word tour on it on Thursday evening. You'll meet with your tour group at the designated area and go together to claim your luggage. Then you'll get on line to wait to board your bus with all your luggage. We had two children, 6 checked bags, 5 carry-ons (lots of chocolate covered mac nuts and mac nut shortbread) and went down early because we had booked the post-cruise excursion that morning and had to pick up our luggage from VIP baggage claim (a porter did help us with it). Since we were early we had to wait for the bus to show up and the tour group to show up. When it was time to line up, we pushed, pulled, yanked, dragged the bags about 20 feet to the head of the line, then used the same process to move them another 20 feet to the cargo hold in the bus while the NCL guy yelled at us to move faster. Yeah, sure, you try to lift this bag full of chocolate covered mac nuts and mac nut shortbread (I'm clearly obsessed with it). Do yourselves a favor, rent a car, go to pearl on your own, see the arizona memorial, don't miss it, then check into a hotel and swim in a pool until you have to go to the airport. It might have actually been easier, but . . .don't leave the chocolate-covered mac nuts and mac nut shortbread in the car.

Would I: Do it again? Yes, if the Pride of America cruised different ports of call some day, I'd definitely consider it. This would be a cool ship to be on for a Western Caribbean cruise with a day or two at sea. I would certainly enjoy the penthouse balcony even more. Cruise the hawaiian Islands? No, I'll be planning a land trip for 2009 with our neighbors to celebrate 50 years for three of the four of us and 50 years for Hawaii. I'm sure we will visit Maui before then, more than likely next summer.

Spectacular moments: Cruising past the Napali Coast while lounging on the sundeck (deck 13). I couldn't really get my brain around what I was seeing. I had to keep looking out at the ocean expanse which was a familiar sight. I started feeling like a cranky infant with too much brain stimulation. Breathtaking views of Waimea Canyon from the scenic overlook. The Place of Refuge. Honolulu at night as the ship sets sail and Waikiki in lights as we cruised past. Watching the ship leave Nawiliwili Bay, sideways. Our DD asleep at the table in Little Italy. Our kids playing in the lava rock tide pools wherever we went. My son "body-surfing" in the pool as the ship cruised up the Kauai coast and rocked the pool water. Listening to Israel (IZ) Kamakawiwo'ole. My DH identifies with him so much that he bought a ukelele and two of his cds and a songbook of Hawaiian songs.

Pre or Post Cruise stay recommendation: Turtle Bay Resort. Go, walk, hike, horseback ride, play tennis, golf or do absolutely nothing but drink lava flows and eat pineapple, oh, it was grand.

My DH's impression of Hawaii: Since heaven is paradise and more beautiful than this (Hawaii), then heaven is truly glorious. We seek heaven through our vacations as a time of rest and recuperation.

Aloha, all, and remember to pass some Aloha to those around you whenever you can.

What a lovely review! So well written and fun to read! I'm excited that we went w/ the owner's suite - your Penthouse review assures me we made the right decision. We only have 8 weeks left until we go, thanks for getting me excited!!

Be sure to pick up some Chocolate-Dipped Macadamia Nut Shortbread.

Thank you for such an easy-to-read and informative review. Your explanations of the excursions will be most beneficial on our cruise.

Be sure to include a few guided tours on your trip, however you manage them (NCL or otherwise), because the tour guides will enlighten you and you will hear stories and inside bits of information about the islands and the people. As much as we disliked our time being "controlled", it really was worth every penny.

Thanks for such an informative review....So good to hear a good one with all the negative ones out there.... And I think we're in the penthouse next to where you were.... Almost same set of numbers...Very cool...... :D I hope our service is as good as yours......

Hey Lightbulb! I'm so excited, DH and I had booked Turtle Resort as our post cruise stay - well, not a true stay as we're only spending the day there and taking the red eye that evening...but, we plan to rent a car, get up to Turtle Bay Resort and just relax. I'm glad you enjoyed it, seems like we picked good choices for our cruise!!!!

Lightbulb,

If you did it again would you book a starboard again or port side for viewing the Na Pali coast. I am booked starboard and just wondered if I made the right/wrong decision. Thanks for a great review!

I don't think it would matter. I would go up on deck to see the Napali Coast anyway just to have that grandeur visible without obstructions or a roof over my head. Then go down to the cabin for a private viewing as the coast went by.

All other ports, starboard worked for us. As previously stated in other posts, portside is of course the side that faces the port. In Hilo, we faced away and had an interesting view of the harbor. Kona, we had a view of the open sea, so port is good here because you see the coast. Nawiliwili, I don't think it matters because the harbor is so beautiful that you don't care which side you are on. I remember taking a picture of containers on the dock with the sun setting behind the cliffs and mountains. Even the containers looked exotic and beautiful in that setting. Maui, it didn't matter much there either.

What mattered was that we cruised past the coast of the Big Island the first morning and that was amazing to see when we woke up.

No need to second guess, you'll be fine either way.

Hey Lightbulb! I'm so excited, DH and I had booked Turtle Resort as our post cruise stay - well, not a true stay as we're only spending the day there and taking the red eye that evening...but, we plan to rent a car, get up to Turtle Bay Resort and just relax. I'm glad you enjoyed it, seems like we picked good choices for our cruise!!!!

Of all the places I would be right now, Turtle Bay Resort is on the top of the list. It will be a perfect place to spend the day. The pool however is for guest use only. Are you checking in as a day rate? Boy, I wish I had known about that. Didn't even consider it. The beach, of course, is public and they were doing construction on the Sand Bar restaurant that made access to the beach difficult and time at the beach was noisy. Drive up the windward coast by taking the H3 through the tunnel (if it's open, construction was scheduled). It's truly beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the interesting review. I'm also going in a starboard suite on oct 15th, was hoping someone would post a review of a suite. Thanks! Did the concierge squeeze you in to all the specialty restaurants? Or did you have to arrange it all the first night?

Thank you for the interesting review. I'm also going in a starboard suite on oct 15th, was hoping someone would post a review of a suite. Thanks! Did the concierge squeeze you in to all the specialty restaurants? Or did you have to arrange it all the first night?

You are very welcome. To answer your question, we had a form to fill out the first night which I did, but when an invitation came for the cocktail party with the captain, I called the concierge to change it (at the lazy J for Sunday night). When we couldn't, we kept the reservation and missed the cocktail party and had a great meal at the Lazy J. Basically, when he could accomodate our request, he did. One night I asked to change the reservation because we were still full from the Chocolate Buffet and I couldn't get through to the restaurant (Little Italy). He went in person to change our reservation and called me right back. On the last night I asked for a reservation at the Liberty and he had no problem getting it for us. It was the last night and I called him in the afternoon. He said with a party larger than 4 I would have to go a little later in the evening. It all worked out great.

Enjoy your cruise. We had a blast. You will too.

Archived