18 yr old doesnt need a parent? right???

Okay I feel that I know this answer, but I guess I need confirmation since cruising is international travel.

My son's girlfriend just turned 18 yrs old. She will be staying in the room with my sister, who is a 30 yr old adult.

This wont be a problem, right? I mean 18 is too young to have a room in your name, but she is considered an adult? Right? just like in the USA? No parent needed??

From Carnivals website:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

- The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

- The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Edited by Velcro911

You will be fine. Please be sure she has all her documentation to travel. (passport or BC and photo ID , assuming it is a close looped cruise and she is an American citizen). You might want to ask her to allow someone in your party to make medical decisions for her in case she is unable.

The language in the rules can be confusing to some. But I assure you that an 18-yr old does not need to travel with a parent/guardian, nor do you need any consent form. Even for medical reasons, the 18-yr old adult would have to consent to their own medical treatment, so a consent form from their parents is worthless, so there's no point.

The rules are, simply put, that anyone under 21 must be booked in a room with someone 25 or older. (Married couples under 21 can cruise without someone 25+.) The cross-referencing would come into play when, for example, 2 siblings ages 18 & 20 have their own room & their parents are also on the cruise in another room.

I was on a cruise where my roommate had just turned 18, his parents/guardians were not on the cruise, and I am over 25. No problems at all. No documentation or consent forms needed. His almost 19-yr old brother was in another room with someone else over 25. No problem.

Edited by k2excursion