Captains Cocktail Parties & Dining with the Captain

Cunard Fan

I have always been intrigued with the cocktail parties that captains throw

and where/who they sit with for dinner in the evenings. I always think back

to the British comedy program, 'Keeping up Appearances', when a character wins a VIP cruise on the QE2 and, after dining with the captain one evening, states that 'you win a VIP cruise, all the perks, and then they expect you to eat with the crew!'. Classic. I'm sure a few board members have seen this episode.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about how guests are selected to attend cocktail parties hosted by the captain, how many are held on the average cruise, where does the captain usually dine of an evening? Does he have a 'captains table' to which people are invited or does he become the guest at other tables? Are there any other functions that are held which are attended by invitation only and how are the guests selected? I'm just interested really in how the whole etiquette of the experience is played out. I guess I'm harping back in a way to days goneby when true ocean liners ploughed their way across the oceans and occasions such as the above where true events. If anyone knows the ins-and-outs of these things, especially on the QE2, I would be extremely interested to hear their experiences and knowledge.

Hi Cunard Fan,

The Captain has a table in the Caronia Dining Room. I'm not sure how people are selected. We sat at Captain Warwick's table for the 7 day cruise from Miami to Barbados back in December 1998. What a treat. Captain Warwick, his wife Kim, son Sam, and a couple of friends from England were very gracious to a couple of newcomers. The experience was something I will never forget.

This is the story, as I know, that we were sat at the Captain's table. My TA had forgot our table request and was away from town. I called CUNARD and explained the situation. The customer service rep and I talked/kidded for a few minutes and then she asked if I would like to sit at the Captain's table. I told her of course but, I thought she was still kidding. Little did we know until we got to our cabin that first day that we were sitting at the Captain's table for the entire cruise.

Hope you get the chance.

Ed

Cunard Fan,

I was seated at the Captain's Table in the Mauretania restaurant on QE2 earlier this year. The Maitre' d called me in my cabin on the first full day and asked if I'd like to be at the Captain's table. The Captain alternated with the Staff Captain at dinner, so we had an officer 6 nights out of 14. I was travelling solo, and it was my sixth cruise on Cunard (third time at an Officer's table). I was also invited to the Ward Room party and the small cocktail party (~30 guests) in the Captain's Quarters.

Julia

I believe Oslo stated something to the effect: “They make you eat with the help.”

To add to what has been written, in the Princess Grill on QE2 the Captain did not have a table nor did we encounter any other officers at dinner time.

And on QM2 in the Britannia Main DR. the Staff Captain as well as other more Senior Officers may dine at other passenger tables, but the Captain has his own table which stays empty for most of the sailing.

We were on QM2 last year and Paul Wright was the Captain, we met a couple during an excursion that had been to the Captain’s Table the First Formal night. They were dumbfounded as to how they could have been selected as this was there first cruise on Cunard – or any other ship for that matter. She was seated next to Captain at dinner and asked him why they were chosen and was told “Ask my Secretary – she is charge.” This very young woman from I believe Romania told them that for the first formal night she looks at the embarkation photos for smiling, upbeat passengers who do not appear to be shy – people mugging for the camera in other words. She also mentioned the husband had “Soulful eyes.” May friends and I were sitting at a table adjacent the Captain’s and noted that all those at the table seemed animated and were smiling all the time. The Captain also entertained Grill Passengers in the Britannia Dining Room one evening at it was more of the same.

I later met the secretary and she told me that for nearer the end of sailing (10 day) for the Captain’s table in the Britannia she would invite those passengers she had met during her meanderings on the ship who impressed her as potential suitable, fun and interesting dining companions for the Captain. I met some of these people in addition to observing them during one of my invitations to the bridge. They had personality to burn! Some were what might be called “real characters.” Very lively and fun. The Secretary told me that she particularly enjoyed when passengers who she would encounter in elevators or other public areas would strike up conversations with her and because they seemed so friendly and “fun” she would invite them to the Captain’s table.

There is always a Captain’s Cocktail Party for all passengers. On QE2 there is one for Mauretania and the other combines Caronia and the Grills. This is because approx 50% of the passengers are Mauretania and the other 50% a mix of Caronia and Grill. On QM2, there is one for Britannia and another for the Grills.

Then there is the World Club Party for past passengers who have sailed at least 2 times previously on a Cunard Ship hosted by the Captain and attended by the Senior Staff.

Then there is the Senior Officer’s Party which the Captain hosts and he mingles with and speaks with everyone. This has Servuga Caviar and Iced Premium Vodka as well as chilled prawns. You need to either be a Platinum World Club Member or be invited by the Captain or the Social Hostess. Anyone invited to the Captain’s table is also invited.

If you are interested in these events or getting acquainted with the Captain might I suggest you send him a personal note expressing how delighted you are about the sailing and/or thanking him the Captain’s Cocktail Party? Go to the Hostess Chats, scarf tying classes and introduce yourself to the social hostess and then write her a nice note of thanks. And, last, but not least, attend the Captain’s or Commodore’s Church Service (is non demonational Christian). The first service was sparsely attended and the Captain/Commodore stands just as a Pastor would after the service speaking with everyone as they exit but this time taking all the time in the world to chat when not that well attended. On one sailing I had sent the Captain a note thanking him for the service and was then asked to select one of the Hymn’s for next Sunday’s service.

Cunarder and I got invited to everything on our last voyage as well as personal tours of the bridge – the Captain flew one of Ed’s flags over a port, and then invited us all up to the bridge to ring the noon day ship’s bell – all because we wrote him nice notes to start with.

Jeanne

Thanks for the replies everyone, very informative. Jeanne S, thank you in particular. Very interesting to find out how people are selected to attend various functions. Makes sense that the most out-going and fun of the passengers would be the ones to be invited. I would never of thought about writing notes to the captain and other crew members.

Hi Ed!

Had a blast. Went with my niece on a Jazz Cruise and made some new friends, including some of the band members who had passenger status (were in higher up suites than we were).

Again we had a wonderful Captain and given the Radisson Navigator is only 30,000 tons it was just like the Love Boat – Pacific Princess in that the Captain got involved with many of the passengers, as did the ship’s doctor and Hotel Director. We they would be hanging out by the HD’s office adjacent the purser’s desk with the door open, becoming passers by to stop in and chat. There were three cocktail parties on this 7 day cruise, all which the Senior Staff/Captain attended and socialized. On the ferry to King’s Wharf Captain Jensen sat with us for the 20 min ride asking about our lives, jobs, etc.

The weather was great, not hot at all for that time of year. The best part was that the beaches were empty. Especially Tobacco Bay in St Georges which is always packed. Since we were the only ship in port with about 400 passengers, most of them elderly, we and the entertainers on board were the only ones there. In Hamilton we opted not to go to Horseshoe Bay since it is one of the top ten beaches in the world is always crowded. Elbow Beach was empty and we had a great day. The food was wonderful. Is an all inclusive (mostly) ship, so drinks and wine with dinner was included as was tipping. We jokingly said to our waiter “What no Baked Alaska on Radisson.” They made it for us the next night – we each had this huge mountain of meringue on a dinner plate.

Unfortunately Radisson will no longer be sailing to Bermuda from New York. Perhaps Canada, but not sure.

Am going on the Zenith out of beautiful Bayonne, NJ (to where else – Bermuda) 10/1.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Glad you had a great time. We need to go back to Bermuda one of these days. Was that your niece's first cruise? That ship must have felt so tiny at 30,000 after being on the QM2 at 150,000 +. Did you try any new wines onboard?

Wait untill you experience Bayonne. It will be interesting to hear what you say after you have gotten back.

Ed

Hi Jeanne,

Glad you had a great time. We need to go back to Bermuda one of these days. Was that your niece's first cruise? That ship must have felt so tiny at 30,000 after being on the QM2 at 150,000 +. Did you try any new wines onboard?

Wait untill you experience Bayonne. It will be interesting to hear what you say after you have gotten back.

Ed

Hi Ed:

My niece has been on the Carnival Triumph to Canada and the Norway (2 weeks before they pulled it to scrap).

Actually, when you first view this ship it seems so small and is not even visable when driving down the West Side Highway, but you get used to it and then it becomes the norm. When in port it seems big as only smaller ships can berth in Hamilton/St Georges.

Since the wine was included with dinner, we had each nights offerings which were paired perfectely with the cuisine. Am trying to remember what I reallly liked as most was new to me. They went all around the globe. The Shriaz was quite good - will try to remember. Usually I ask for the labels of wines that are enyoyable but forget to do so this time.

On Zenith we will get to spend 4 days in Bermuda 2 Ham/2 SG which is the best offered. On Navigator we had to stop at Norfolk, VA to pick up/disembark passengers.

Jeanne

Archived