I'm back

MrsMoose2001

the same woman with the chair, her husband informed me in the elevator that he did not care for my pendant, out of the blue, hubby and I were speachless on that one.

oh, c'mon.........pleeze, tell me you're kidding on that one!!!!!

They take the prize for "Rudest Cruise Couple"!

Jane

Nope sorry I'm not kidding. Not at all.

It was the very first day on the ship, and I was wearing my pendant, it's a little witch charm I got in Salem Mass, when I went for Halloween. I saw it and fell in love with her and bought it and when I told my mom, she said, she wanted to pay for it (I had just finished chemo and was going to start radiation when I got back) and it was to be a good luck charm. I've gotten so many nice comments on her over the years and I wear her almost all the time, and yes, this man on the elevator asked me "why are you wearing a witch"? "I don't like it".

I wish I were kidding, hubby and I were first in shock and then we were laughing as this was the very first day of our cruise and I was really standing their in the elevator in disbelief myself, but sorry not kidding.

By the way I sent you an e-mail, can you please re-send your phone# I can't find it.

Thanks

Mrs. Moose

I haven't cruised before and have read your reviews with much interest. I am sorry that the couple was so rude. Some people are always trying to figure out how to perk themselves up while putting others down. The ultimate power trip. I like the ideal of using the witch as a good luck charm. It appears to have worked since you are to be congratulated for coming through your illness with such grace.

Thank you for your review. I loved your description of the hot pink lady

HH

Oh thank you banditcat, very nice and kind of you to say.

Yes, I completely agree with what you wrote about people. I think the reason it stands out more on a cruise is because you are with the same in my case 700 people every day on a similar schedule as opposed to a hotel/resort on land.

In any case, there were the few rude, nasties, but all in all it was a great trip and as I say, Alaska is amazing and I had my dream trip fulfilled. I was determined not to let anyone ruin this trip for me and they didn't, we were just shocked is all.

Thanks again :)) and I hope my review doesn't turn you off to cruising. It overall was a very pleasant and fun experience and on a scale of 1 - 10 it still gets a 10.

I'm glad you had a good time on your cruise. We are going to Vancouver on the 23rd and spending 2 nights there before we get on the Ryndam. We are staying at the Sheraton Wall Center and I would love to go to Joe Fortes for lunch or dinner is it close to the Pan Pacific?

I'm hopeing to buy some sweaters for my grandchildren. Did you see any nice children shops while your were there? We are from San Diego and they just do not have the nice winter sweaters here like you can get in the cooler climate states.

I love to cruise and I hope you will try another cruise again. The Mexican cruises are fun and they have several that now go out of San Diego.

Lynn

Vancouver is one of my favourite cities. There are many shops on Robson St. to explore. There is a large Sears (used to be Eaton's, a lost canadian chain) and the Bay(Hudson Bay Company) to explore. Check for an information magazine with map in your hotel to plan your shopping trip. There should be winter sweaters for children there. Keep in mind that Vancouver does not get the cold that other parts of Canada receives Enjoy your trip.

Hi,

Joe Fortes is not far from the Pan Pacific which is located at Canada Place. I can't say it's "walking distance" since I don't know your level of capability, but I would say it is definitely walkable as far as I am concerned.

Caviargirl is probably the best one about stores in Vancouver, and Bobby's girl is right there is a big Sears and Bay shop that will both sell children's clothing. I do believe I passed a children's boutique on Robson street.

To be honest there were a couple of streets near Robson that also had good shops, maybe even better (for my taste) than Robson, there is a mall that I didn't go into (no time and energy). But I know that with a little looking you will have no problem finding nice children's sweaters.

And BobbysGirl is right, Vancouver doesn't get as cold, but I must say I was impressed with the level of cashmere sweaters availalbe. Montreal gets so cold and I can maybe see 4 sweaters if I'm lucky in cashmere. My hubby who is canadian says it's because of the amount of tourits from all over. He read that 1 million alone come just for the Alaska cruise, add to that the other tourists that come for conventions and visiting without the cruise.

Vancouver is wonderful for shopping compared to Montreal. I left Vancouer feeling depressed having to live in Montreal which really has gone down hill in the shopping area. I felt Vancouver to be almost like a very mini NYC in relation to shopping

My motto: when the going gets tough the tough go shopping!

Lynn, I would say that the Wall Center is in easy walking distance from Joe Fortes. Just map Thurston and Robson and you can get a feel for the distance.

There is a large mall on Robson as well that might meet your needs for childrens sweaters. I am not much help as I have no kids so never pay much attention to those stores. However, I did notice some very cool kite shops and other unique things for sale at Granville Market that kids would love.

Just a thought.

Hi,

to caviargirl, what is the street, that has Mont Cashmere and then there was a street "going up the hill"? I found a great store there for beautiful women's clothing, got a sweater there, lol.

There was also a tiny store with cashemere and silk (nothing in my size) on Robson just about 1/2 block from CinCin.

And once again, thank you for Joe Fortes, hubby absolutely loved his lunch there as did I, we had the crab cake appetizer to share and then we each had the catfish p'orboy sandwich which we thought was the best.

CinCin, the food was great, we both loved what we had there, and the place in itself is so lovely.

I can see why you love Vancouver, you were so right on what a great city it is. So much to see and do and shop, lol, did I mention great shopping!

I know you live in florida, but you got to check out the shop called Snowflake, I went to the one in a Fairmont Hotel. (Not everything was fur), beautiful suede jacket (out of in my size :( )

When do you leave?

I was just in Vancouver and loved the city. MrsMoose your right, it did remind me of a mini-NYC on Robson.

Also Nanietwo - we stayed at the Sheraton Wall, very very nice. We got lucky and were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. We didn't need the rooms but it got us a corner room with two beautiful views. I know this is a fashion board, but I can also recommend C Restaurant. It is on the water and it was spectacular. It is a little pricey and hard to get reservations, but it was absolutely beautiful. If its a nice night you can sit out side, otherwise it's all windows for viewing. We got a reservation though Openseating (dot) com

MrsMoose: I lost this reply the first time I typed it so will try and remember what I said!

I am trying to remember the name of the street you are referring to and hopefully it will come back to me soon.

I love cashmere and have never purchased any for myself because of where I live. You have, however, reinspired me, and I have decided that I travel enough to justify at least a piece or two! The little shop was the one I told ouy about whose name I could name remember and I will try and get there in October.

CinCin is such a great place! When it gets cold, they have these great space heaters they put out on the patio so folks can still enjoy outdoor dining. One of the first few times I was there, I was seated outside and there was a table next to me with two men, one of whom looked vaguely familiar. It took my waiter whispering in my ear to tell me that it was Tom Cruise! He was there filming and he was just so small in stature it never struck me that it was him. They all look so different on the big screen!

I leave on 10/3 for my quick trip and am looking forward to getting out of the heat.

Lynn: The Wall Center is walking distance from Forte's IMO. I love to walk and Vancouver is such a perfect city to walk in!

There is a mall across from Feragamo, cannot remember the name but I am sure they will have kid's clothes. If you are looking for cool stuff for kids that is not clothing related, Granville Market has some really neat stores.

Have a great evening, everyone!

CG

Oh Caviar Girl, not to long to go, lol, go to Mont Cashmere also just to see it if anything, I loved it, wall to wall cashmere, even the hubby, who knows my absolute love of the fabric, was outside takeing pics and then came in and said, "Oh my, I see why this may take a while". He was so good about it too.

The other store started with a D, beautiful women's clothes, I'll see if I can hunt up the name before you go.

I know the mall you mean, I saw it as I went to the Ferragamo store, I didn't go as I was tired and didn't want to put the hubby through a shopping mall, lol.

I know they are all shorter and smaller in person it seems. Imagine sitting next to Tom Cruise, how exciting!!

I saw the patio but we opted to be inside and was facing the patio. Very nice patio, the whole place had such a nice ambiance that we just loved.

:)))

MrsMoose, bobby'sgirl, Caviargal, and Joelmarj I want to thank you so much for all your great information on Vancouver.

We are really looking forward to spending 2 days in the city and hopefully it will not be raining because we love to walk and see the sights.

I love to shop and could spend the entire 2 days shopping, but my husband would have a fit!

Lynn

I love cashmere and have never purchased any for myself because of where I live. You have, however, reinspired me, and I have decided that I travel enough to justify at least a piece or two!

I'd recommend getting a sexy cashmere tank top and then perhaps a matching sweater to wear with it casually draped over your shoulders when you're in air conditioning.

Jane

Mrs. Moose I did not realize you live in Montreal, another of my favourite Canadian cities although I have not had the pleasure to visit there for years. I live in small town SW Ontario and enjoy visiting larger centres. I think I too visited the cashmere store in Vancouver. What a wonderful store, I love rich fabrics...wish my lifestyle suited them more. I am ready to wear my sweaters now. Have purchased a wonderful denim look with elbow patches at a speciality shop in lakeside shop that I enjoy shopping at ....great service. I may invest in a bright cashmere this year.;)

Hi, yes, I live in Montreal.

Your sweater sounds lovely. I think we all dress according to our lifestyle and needs. I know if I were living in NYC for sure, I'd be dressing somewhat differently when I go out for dinner. Montreal has gone really down hill for shopping, even the hubby agrees with me on that.

I find that Montreal shopping is very diffiult as most stuff is for "young" people. While I'm not old by any standards, I don't want to and can't dress like a 20 something. When I got sick (with breast cancer) I gained a lot of weight, chemo bloats and the pills I still take play with hormones. No matter how little I eat, or how much exercise, I may loose a pound but nothing to really show. I've talked to quite a few women who have the same problem and some say when they can stop takeing the pills the weight comes off quickly when trying without much effort. Not back to their usual size but they say they lost a lot.

When I was in my 20's I was a size 2 and then I went up a bit slowly and stayed at 8 till I got sick. :(

I find that the clothes here have gotten smaller though. I still have a sweater I bought way before I got sick and it still fits, not as large as it used to be, but it still fits reasonably well and now the same size is small. Things seem to have shrunk and I'm not jokeing, I'm being realistic. I look at the terms "shrunken jacket" and those tiny tight tops, I don't think that would have been my style even when I was in my 20's, lol.

I don't fret to much about the weight as long as I'm healthy that is the most important thing to me.

Anyway coming back to what I was thinking, I think that we all dress according to a lifestyle and needs. Sometimes I see an outfit (on the Net or vacation) and it will fit no problem and look nice, and I'll say why? When am I going to wear this? Maybe once or twice if I really think to put it on so I pass on it.

I hope you get your cashmere. Mont Cashmere has a website too to browse, www.montcashmere.com

I know TO and Vancouver have way better shopping than we do now in regards to choice etc.

How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing better and the pain is going away and are quickly recovering.

Perfect! You know my sense of style already.

Natch!

You had doubts??? <fingers bent, casually rubbing nails back & forth on chest>

Black?

But of course!

Though a nice deep cranberry/burgundy tank w/ black cardigan would be great too.

Jane

Archived