Handmade artisan gifts from Nassau or Freeport?

PolybiusSquare

My husband and I will be in Nassau and Freeport on a cruise next week. I'd like to find some places that have quality, hand-made, unique goods made by Bahamian artisans. I do not want the cheap made-in-China stuff with "BAHAMAS" printed all over it. I read that the straw markets are now overwhelmed with this kind of stuff, and that all the booths now have the same stuff in them.

Any recommendations for quality, locally produced artisanal gifts?

My girlfriend and I went to Freeport 2 years ago and will be going back in June. During our time there we found the straw markets to be the best option. I can't recall the name at the moment but it's a popular spot, just follow the crowd off the ship to the cab stands.

There you will find a commercialized shopping area filled with several jewelry stores, cheap drinks advertised all over, small stands of mass produced wares, and decent Americanized Bahamas food. Off to the side of the maze of shops you will find the straw markets and there things get fun. You will find the best used car salespeople trying to sell their stuff, remember to barter. These people are entertaining, funny, and highly experienced in dealing with dumb tourists. Unless you actually see them making something don't assume it was crafted by them. We found a straw weaved box we were going to get for the kids back home and negotiated the price with my girlfriends much more tanned twin cousin. Stopping in a little souvenir shop (looked like a gutted CVS) around the corner we found the exact same baskets for a couple dollars cheaper and had a great laugh.

We are looking forward to going back and maybe seeing that long lost cousin again.

In Nassau go to the Bahamas Handcrafts store on Shirley Street. It's far away from the port, so you'll need a taxi but the stuff is genuine, varied and truly artsy. It's the place we go to take gifts when we visit friends off-island. Plus we have lots of their stuff hanging on our walls.

Nyloc in Nassau

Edited by Nyloc

If you are in town on a weekend, you will find bahamian artisans set up in Pompey Square (on the wharf just before senor frogs)

These artisans MUST have hand crafted items in order to sell in the square. You'll find beach glass and shell jewelry, batik, hand carved items, artwork , photography, woven goods, ceramics etc.

They are only there on the weekends.