Sapphire Vs Trunk Bay

XmindyX

Hi , We will be in St.Thomas on Sept 22nd .. We are trying to decide between Sapphire beach or going over to St.John and spending the day at Trunk Bay ... I'm sorta leaning toward Sapphire , That way we can just jump in a cab and be there ..Does anyone know if there is a charge to use Sapphire?

Thank you for any help

Mindy

Hi, unfortunately I can't comment on Sapphire, having never been there, but I just came back from the HAL Zuiderdam yesterday and we went to Trunk Bay. It was well worth the trip over! We took a cab on our own and caught the 9am ferry downtown then a cab to Trunk Bay. Round trip the cost was $40pp including cab rides, roundtrip ferry and entrance fee. The snorkeling was FABULOUS! Tons of fish and many, many schools of small and large minnows. It was great! They are open air safari cabs and the driver on St. John even stopped to let us take pictures and gave us some local info. It was like a mini tour. :)

XmindyX

We just got back from St. Thomas. This time we went to Sapphire Beach. There was no cost. Taxi ride was $9pp to get there. It did cost to rent 2 chairs & an umbrella $15 total for the day. It was a very nice day and the snorkeling seem to pretty good. Not as good as Trunk Bay. It was a great day and I would definitely go again. We've been to Trunk Bay 3x's and Secret Harbour 2x's; Meagan's Bay 1x's.

Our favorite is probably Trunk Bay for snorkeling, but we also loved Secret Harbour and Sapphire Beach. Enjoy your day in St. Thomas. I love that island.

Linda

Hello djheart,

They aren't located right on the beach itself. However a short walk along the beach to the Sapphire Beach Marina & that is where they are at. The watersports booth is right on the beach and you can inquire about the jet skis there, along with other watersports.

You mentioned teenage... on the Sapphire website I recall reading "18 years of age or older to drive a jet ski".

--Islander

http://www.*****

Although I'm not the OP, I wanted to say "thanks all for replies". I'm soon to be at St. Thomas w/a group of 4 other women but I'm the one doing all the excursion researching. I have been to St. Thomas once before and did Coral World/Coki Beach at that time (1st time there for the rest of my cruisers). I'm really debating between doing Godfrey's tour w/stopping at Sapphire Beach OR going over to St. John to Trunk Bay, so I'm very interested in reading everyone's replies. Keep'em coming! :D

• 3 weeks later...

If you're considering St. John, you may want to look at Cinnamon Bay rather than Trunks Bay. We were at Trunk's two or three times, and although it is very nice, it can get crowded with tourists. Last year we chose to go on to Cinnamon bay. Hardly anyone there; a small snack shop/restaurant, chair rentals, and if you don't mind swimming out a way, we thought the snorkelling was actually much better than Trunk's Bay. Your taxi driver will know where to go. Our own problem was getting the taxi back to the ferry. Two taxi's were waiting, BUT they would not leave until more people wanted to go back. We waited over 1/2 hour; it was a bit frustrating.

If you want shopping time - stay on St. Thomas and use one of the beaches there before or after shopping. If you go to Trunk Bay -it takes most of the day with the transit-taxi, ferry, taxi and back again. It is a beautiful beach but there is little time for shopping if you go there. The taxi's are easy but check the ferru schedule or you are waiting at Red Hook to go as well as back again. Takes more planning but can easily be done. Depends on what you want to do really. Either way-you will have a great day .

We haven't been to Saphire Beach, but have been to Megan's Bay (which we think if highly overrated) and Trunk Bay. I love St. John! We are taking our friends there on our next cruise. It will be their first cruise and I KNOW they will be blown away by the beauty of that island.

Yes, there is a swimming pool at Sapphire but it's reserved for those folks who are staying at the resort and not for use by the general public. It's the same for all the hotels/resorts there: you can use their beach but their pool areas area reserved for hotel/resort guests.

Sapphire Beach for me the first cruise, then I went to COKI. Both were nice, thought the sand was little nicer at coki. little ROCKIE, not much, but little at Sapphire Beach. I might go to meagans or back to coki to snorkle. ANYONE snorkle at coki and Sapphire Beach?

Archived