Valor 9/4/05-9/11/05 Western Carribean

foxybrown4261121

This was me and my hubby's 1st cruise and it was fabulous! Valor is a beautiful ship, and we enjoyed every minute of the cruise. The food, and hospitality was magnificent!

Belize and Honduras, not much to really see. We took the city tour in Belize, and the bus broke down on the way back. :eek: Thankfully, another bus came and picked us up and took us to the port. Skip the city tour; it was only $20.00 pp, but nothing worth seeing really. My hubby and I were falling asleep. PLEASE DO NOT wear fanny packs around your waist.:mad: Someone on our cruise got theirs snatched as they were strolling around shopping. It is better to have a bar that can go across your shoulders and you can hold on to. After that happened, I was leary of Honduras. There were so many policeman on the pier/port area that I felt like I was in jail. I got my souvenirs and got back on the ship quickly.

Gr. Cayman and Cozumel was fabulous! Lots of shopping! In Gr. Cayman, we ate at a restaurant called Breezes...fantastic! In Cozumel, there is a resturant called Casa Mission Restaurant, where filet mignon and lobster dinners are $22.00 pp. FABULOUS FOOD!:) My hubby talked me into going 4 wheeling.....ladies I have blisters on my hands, it's a little rocky, but it was fun. Whatever you do, bring old clothes that you can discard afterward because you will get VERY dirty on this! If it has rained, you will get VERY muddy! Lots of great deals in downtown Cozumel for souvenirs. I went to Rogers & Boots and bought a fabulous leather purse for $93.00, they wanted $180.00 :p So, BARGAIN those prices down! The exchange rate is 10.5 to 1. SO, our dollar goes a long way there. I bought a mother-of-pearl bracelet for $25.00, and the guy wanted $75-80.00. So downtown Cozumel is definitely worth the $6.00 taxi ride. Lastly, spend the $30.00 pp on the Scarlett Supper Club! It it worth every single bite! By the time I got to dessert, I passed, because I was about to bust! You more than get your money's worth there. I can not wait to book my next cruise!

foxy-

My DH were on this cruise too. I will post a review too. But I wanted to comment on a couple things. We have traveled and cruised quite a bit and all countries have a military presence at their ports and airports. Even before 9/11, when we arrived in Italy, the airport was packed with military men carrying machine guns. The US did this for awhile but we have gone back to a more relaxed stance. Don't be frightened by the guns and military, they are they to protect you, the ship, and their people. I give these countries credit for taking a proactive stance in protecting and serving it's people and tourists. They are not there cause of political unrest cause Carnival would never cruise anyone into harm's way. I guess I am getting wordy, but I wanted to let you know not to be scared or discouraged by this in the future.

As far as the fanny pack snatching....well, those are a stupid idea pretty much anywhere. I don't care what country you are in, keep your belongings/cash on you in a pack that goes under your shirt. When we were in Italy and Greece travelmates were pick-pocketed cause people aren't alert and protective enough of their things when traveling. I live in Kansas City and people get pick-pocketed and robbed here too....so it's not just a Belize problem.

PS you really missed out in Honduras. That was our all-time favorite port.

Thanks for the great review. I leave in 3 weeks. Can't wait. I booked snorkeling in Belize and Roatan so I'm not worried about sightseeing. I think the best sightseeing in Belize must be the Mayan ruins with the river cruise. People rave about that one. I definately want to try Scarlets. No one comes back complaining about it. Thanks again.

Sorry you didn't see much of Roatan. We were there in July and LOVED that place! Like so many other posters we would love to go back there. I immediatly came home checking airfare and lodging for that beautiful place. I felt very safe and secure there and wouldn't hesitate to go exploring there. The people were warm and friendly!

kmscruiser- I never saw any scooters around. Most of the roads we traveled on were dirt roads...smooth dirt roads but still not paved.

Most of the posts on the port of call board talked about this being a beach day so that's why we booked Tabayana. I posted a review yesterday with all the details of what we did. Let me know if you have any questions.

Have fun!

I just got back from the valor on Sunday. My husband and I rented scooters in Honduras through Captain Vans. We had a BLAST – there is not too much traffic on the roads – but you will get passed by cars/trucks a lot. The paved road was only from the cruise ship to Tabyana beach. The rest is all paved just like ours. There are no stop signs/lights along the main road – so you are free! We scootered to a canopy tour which was fun. The cruise director told people not to rent scooters, jet skis, or go parasailing for their own good. But really, you can do what you want. Word to the wise: one of the people from our ship who rented scooters @ the same place we did – decided to go tandem (2 people on one scooter) and they crashed 5 min. before they got back. He was beat up pretty good. I'm pretty sure he needed stitches in his chin. Also, the guy who owns the place had obviously taken a dive in the last few weeks – his arms and legs had severe “road rash”. So – if you are going to do this – which is harmless 90% of the time – make sure you have travel insurance – just in case!! Have fun!

Funny, Belize & Honduras were my two favorite ports. I never felt unsafe either.

Cave tubing in Belize was one of the best adventures we've ever had. There were so many excursions to chose from on Belize, I'd love to go back & try the zipline!

Fosters on West Bay was beautiful. One of the prettiest beaches in the Carribean I've even been to. The rest all look the same. I found teh people to be humble, friendly & kind in the midst of such poverty.

Archived