Verizon international roaming charges in Vancouver

My mother and I both have Verizon cell phones.

We are not on the same plan.

She is going on a cruise that ends in Vancouver BC and I am picking her up there.

How much would it be for her to make a 2 minute call to me once she gets off the ship so I can pick her up?

How much would it be for me to receive that same 2 minute call?

If she is only doing 1 call it doesn't seem worth it to get the international calling plan.

Thoughts?

Also compare costs with texting and data with messaging apps.

The phones will be off except for a 1 hour period during pickup.

I am sure there is a spot online that says what a call would cost per minute but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

I am just assuming a 2 minute call has to be cheaper than buying an international roaming package.

Unless it has increased this year, Verizon charges $.69 per minute if you do not have the International Call Plan. You can add the plan for $5 per month then cancel before the end of the first month so it won't roll over. It is not worth it to me since I don't make many calls while in Canada so I just pay the per minute charge.

Here's a thought... WHERE do you plan to do the pickup? My advice... drive straight into the cruise terminal and park there for 30 minutes. Makes luggage loading a lot easier.

Does mom plan to do an early walk off after 7:30am? Or does she want to sleep in and finish her breakfast to stroll off around 10am? Decide ahead of time for the pickup and then she can phone ahead when she wants you to arrive to save on parking.

Here's a thought... WHERE do you plan to do the pickup? My advice... drive straight into the cruise terminal and park there for 30 minutes. Makes luggage loading a lot easier.

Does mom plan to do an early walk off after 7:30am? Or does she want to sleep in and finish her breakfast to stroll off around 10am? Decide ahead of time for the pickup and then she can phone ahead when she wants you to arrive to save on parking.

Was planning on doing the following that BCHappyGal explained below in quoted. Do you think I should go underground (is it underground? - this is my first time going to Vancouver) instead?

I have met many friends disembarking at Canada Place

The best and easiest place to meet is the front entrance (just outside) of the Pan Pacific Hotel which sits on top of the cruise ship terminal. Usually there is very short term meter parking directly across the street from the Pan Pacific

I find getting into the parkade on a cruise ship day is a nightmare :) as one is competing with all the buses and taxis...

To find your family and arrive at the Pan Pacific entrance when you disembark the ship follow these directions:

Once you exit thru customs and get into the terminal keep to your right and follow the big overhead signs that say "To Buses & City Centre"

This will lead you to a set of double exit doors and you will find all the buses parked just outside these doors (you are in an underground parkade)

Continue walking past the buses and the sign will now say "To City Centre"

You will come to another set of entry doors under a sign that says "Hotel & Convention Centre" enter here and take the elevator up 1 level to "M"

Leaving the elevator turn left and walk out the front entrance of the Pan Pacific to your family.

And I am going to have my mother do the self walkoff starting at 8:30 AM so I would arrive right around there and pay for up to an hour of parking.

Edited by parson33