Maria's

xrayvin

Has anyone heard of a place called Maria's? It is suppose to be in old San Juan but I am not sure where. I heard that it is a fun spot with some different drinks. How about a "pub" that is in old San Juan. I was there 2 other times but I have no idea where it is or what it was called. We will be there in Jan and would like to go back-it was alot of fun!! We hope to find it again but if anyone has any idea what I am talking about I would greatly appreciate it!:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maria's is somewhat of a dive (plastic cups, paper plates). I haven't been there in years, though, so it may have changed. My favorite drink there used to be the Cafe Tropical -- something like a Kahlua'd mocha frappucino :D . Just this past Saturday DH and I walked by and were reminiscing of when we used to go there.

I can't think offhand of any pubs like you describe. Maybe a little more info on it?

Is Maria's within walking distance from the cruise port? The Cafe Tropical sounds wonderful, I will have to try it. When you say it is a "dive" do you mean that it is somewhere not to go, or it one of those "hole in the wall" places that you love to find?:D

As for the "pub" my DH keeps making fun of me because he has no idea how I came up with the idea it is a pub. Both times we were just walking and there it was so I know it is by the ship and on the corner. My DH says we will just find it again and believe me I will actually look to see what the name of it is!! Thanks for trying to help, but I have no information so it is pointless to ask for help:o

Is Maria's within walking distance from the cruise port?

It's on Cristo street, a little south of the Cathedral. Everything in OSJ is within walking distance of the pier (unless you're at the PanAm pier, in which case you need to take a cab to OSJ). It might be a 10-15 min walk, more if you're dawdling/sightseeing/shopping :D .

When you say it is a "dive" do you mean that it is somewhere not to go, or it one of those "hole in the wall" places that you love to find?:D

Oh, the latter, definitely!!! :D It's perfectly safe, very popular with locals and tourists alike, nice friendly atmosphere. Just don't go expecting anything fancy.

As for the "pub" my DH keeps making fun of me because he has no idea how I came up with the idea it is a pub. Both times we were just walking and there it was so I know it is by the ship and on the corner.

Could you be thinking of Señor Frog's? It's quite close to the pier, behind the Sheraton. And of course there are lots of other bars in OSJ, so who knows. There's one called Nono's, I think, at the very top of Cristo, corner of San Sebastián, by Plaza San José. It opens on both streets. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of? In any case, hope you find the one you're looking for! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's one called Nono's, I think, at the very top of Cristo, corner of San Sebastián, by Plaza San José. It opens on both streets. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of? In any case, hope you find the one you're looking for! :)

YES I believe this is the place I am thinking!! Thank you so much amapola:D

• 2 months later...

Well we went to San Juan and walked around to different bars. First, we went to the birthplace of the Pina Colada (would not recommend) the drink was fine but it really is just a place to eat nothing special! I went next door to Del sol and asked them about NoNO's they told me where it was and that it was around a lot of other bars so we headed off. I am so excited to visit this bar again, we get there and it is the wrong place!! We stayed for one beer, only have the one kind. and head off again after a few other places that we really did not care for (it was fine just not what we were looking for) We stopped at a fun place (no idea the name or if it even had a name) it was really just a hallway!! It had the COLDEST Coronas in the world and it was cheap!! We had a group of ten so we took up the entire place had a couple drinks laughed with some locals and headed back to the ship. On the way back we walked past my bar!!!! YES we did find it, it is called Douglas' Pub we went in and had a great time, just wish we had found it earlier so we could have stayed longer!! Thanks for all the help trying to figure this out and now I will never forget the name and we will always visit "our pub":cool:

By the way, we toured the fort and that was very cool, and we stopped at Don Q for a sample that was amazing!!

Enjoy OSJ!!!

Archived