Different "type" of disability

cs

I'm sailing on Norwegian next month and have a different kind of disability than most other posters here. My disability is daily/near daily migraines.

I have already notified my TA about my disability and sent him a copy of my Social Security Disability Award letter (as verification). I requested a stateroom in a quiet area of the ship and NCL complied.

Now I'm wondering if it would be out of line to ask for priority boarding in case a migraine strikes while I'm waiting to board (good possibility considering boarding can give ANYONE a headache). And what about ports, what if I need to get back on the ship quickly to get medication or get to my quiet cabin? Is there anyway I can get back on the ship quickly without needing to stand in line? Do you think they would let me order room service from the restaraunt menu if I can't leave the cabin?

I know a lot of people would say why bother going at all; but I enjoy cruising. I don't want these &%^$ migraines to take over my entire life!

Any input?

To be honest. I'd contact the special needs dept. to see what they say

On a semi-realted note (you siad you didn't want those migraines to rule your life) you should to look into biofeedback. If you learn the technique, then you can control (stop) those migraines when you feel the aura coming on (without drugs). Obviously not a solution for this vacation/cruise, but perhaps a long term solution. I have to say it worked for me.

Candy

but I'm glad you found something that works for you. I do a form of biofeedback - I use the same principles I learned in Lamaze class. If you tense up through the pain, it makes things much worse.

Unfortunately, relaxation alone isn't working for me. I have to practice trigger management too. And all the things that trigger my migraines are the same things that I'm going to have to face on the cruise. Loud noise, bright lights, stuffy enviornments - not to mention if I dare to take a drink or go to sleep off schedule!

I just don't want to miss out on cruising because of all the triggers. I might not be able to enjoy it to the fullest extent but I'd sure like to make a go of it.

I was hoping that maybe NCL could help make it a bit easier on me. Not sure if they can but I've already asked my TA to look into it for me.

Thanks for the quick response.

really? ginger? I use that all the time for seasickness (old sailors remedy - they used to chew on ginger roots). I also love the Ginger Altoids (seasonal -- available only in winter) for that purpose. Hmmmm....maybe that's one reason I rarely get an aura these days?

do you have a balcony cabin cs? You might find it more pleasant to eat you mid day meal in the dining room, and order from room service and enjoy dinner on the balcony. The dining room is not as loud and busy during lunch.

And depending on the ports - u might want to stay on the ship one shore day to enjoy it in a more uncrowded environment.

Candy

...never heard of them but I like Altoids other flavors. Even if it doesn't work for me, I still get the benefit of fresh breath - lol.

Yes, we're in a balcony. I might end up spending more time in my stateroom than most people so I chose the balcony. TA said my travel companion (sis) can bring a covered dish back from the main dining room for me.

We plan on staying close to the ship on port days. This way we can get back quick if necessary. And we'll be back early to enjoy the ship.

I still have every intention of enjoying this cruise. I'm not going to be a sour puss because of my limitations. I'm sure it will be a blast!

Happy sailing to you,

cs

If you get them that quickly I would carry meds with me. If you are on a shore ex that has been arranged they will not go back for you in most cases. The only time my shore ex was shorten was because a diabetic did not have his meds with him and had to much sugar. I am diabetic but I did not have his type on meds. As above I would contact Sp services and ask your questions if possible.

Hi,

I am also one who has to have meds on me. (I have polymyositosis and fibromyalgia.) I also carry a Dispense as written form (on my Docs RX perscription forms) to show that I am taking a class C med and have to carry syringes and needles on me. This was done so there wouldnt be a problem with me in ports or places where someone could question things. I have to have my pain meds on me and kept cool so I have found a bag used for diebetic meds that has an ice pack with it. I take a small amount with me in port so I can always make it back in time if I need more or am having a painful time trying to get back to the ship.

Hope this information helps anyone who may also have to take things along with them.

Lesia:D

• 2 weeks later...

CS-

I , too, get daily migraines.

I've had good luck with the Imitrex inhaler. They are very small single use. I used to use the subcutaneous injection, but it was hard to take outside the house, but the inhaler is easy to use and quite portable. If you use it at the onset of symptoms, the headache is all but eliminated. As the commercials say, ask your doctor. You might find some real relief, and enjoy your vacations more.

Between my migraines and DH's MS, we are such a pair!

Best,

Laurel

CS-

I , too, get daily migraines.

I've had good luck with the Imitrex inhaler. They are very small single use. I used to use the subcutaneous injection, but it was hard to take outside the house, but the inhaler is easy to use and quite portable. If you use it at the onset of symptoms, the headache is all but eliminated. As the commercials say, ask your doctor. You might find some real relief, and enjoy your vacations more.

Between my migraines and DH's MS, we are such a pair!

Best,

Laurel

I just switched from the Imitrex inhaler to the Zomig inhaler. I actually like the Zomig better. But you know the routine (if you're a daily migrainer) - you can't use them daily because of rebound.

I have to switch around my medications - Imitrex, Zomig, Fioricet, and even Excedrin Migraine. Plus a daily preventative. I rattle when I walk -lol!

I just switched from the Imitrex inhaler to the Zomig inhaler. I actually like the Zomig better. But you know the routine (if you're a daily migrainer) - you can't use them daily because of rebound.

I have to switch around my medications - Imitrex, Zomig, Fioricet, and even Excedrin Migraine. Plus a daily preventative. I rattle when I walk -lol!

Yes, I know what you mean about the rebound, it's hard to decide if the headache is going to be hard enough to use the inhaler or to just tough it out or try to get through with a pain pill. Ice packs and a robe belt tied around my head help too.

What kind of preventative are you taking? I'm on Topamax and Verapamil. I've had clusters for years and just this year they've become migraine. The migraines are almost tolerable in comparison....... :(

Laurel

What kind of preventative are you taking? I'm on Topamax and Verapamil.

I've been on Topamax too - way too many side effects! I've tried, with no success, Beta Blockers (made my already low blood pressure plummet), Neurontin, Depakote, and finally SSRIs. ***** seems to help, so very slightly. At least the side effects are minimal.

I was on Depakote for the longest time and it lost its effectiveness. Switched over to Topamax, I called it Dopamax, the side effects were horrible, but I got over them in about two months, now I'm okay.

About two weeks ago I started with Effexor, as I don't tolerate *****, and I'm having trouble with side effects, groggy, dizzy ...

Sometimes I wonder whats worse, the headaches or the cure?

Laurel

I was on Depakote for the longest time and it lost its effectiveness. Switched over to Topamax, I called it Dopamax, the side effects were horrible, but I got over them in about two months, now I'm okay.

About two weeks ago I started with Effexor, as I don't tolerate *****, and I'm having trouble with side effects, groggy, dizzy ...

Sometimes I wonder whats worse, the headaches or the cure?

Laurel

I know some people don't understand that when you get daily migraines you aren't allowed to treat every one of them. So we have to make a judgement call on which ones to treat.

This is the "catch 22". In order for the migraine medication to be most effective, we have to take it at the first hint of a migraine. Once we get a full blown migraine, the medications are less effective. But to do that, we'd use up our monthly medication supply before the first week is over. So we play a guessing game of which migraines to treat. And if we guess wrong, and didn't treat early enough, then we're in for a monster!

This is why just taking some medication to port with me isn't going to guarantee that I'm not going to wind up in migraine h*ll.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Archived