Express train from Civitavecchia through HAL?

Chase's Dad

We arrive on Nieuw Amsterdam at Civitavecchia on 5/28 -- a day that 10,000+ other passengers arrive! We have taken the train on our own between Rome and the port before, but I am concerned about two things: (a) the port load; and (b) construction in the port that complicates what had been an easy walk from the train station in Civitavecchia. The ship arrives at 0700 and leaves at 1900. HAL's "express train" option costs $99 apiece but promises a ten-hour day beginning at 0800 -- with what I assume is a bus pickup at the ship that delivers one to the train -- and guarantees a return to the ship at 1800.

Has anyone used this ship-offered option? If not, what do you wise travelers think, given my concerns.

Thank you so much. This board rocks -- although I hope the NA does not!

I used it a few years ago because I wanted to arrive at the Vatican Museum before the biggest crowds. It was a splurge but I thought it was worth it at the time. Super easy, comfy, no hassles, but you pay for that convenience.

Edited by Chloe1500